Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Kaio: I'm going kyujo

The magic number is now 3. If Kaio loses six in a row to start Aki Basho, Tomozuna Oyakata would "advise" him to retire. The oyakata said an ozeki or a yokozuna must aim for double digit wins every basho. He could understand if some dogfights towards the end the basho limits one to an eight-win basho, but a losing streak at the beginning against lower-ranking rikishi cannot be tolerated.

With five defeats in a row, it would be time to think about intai. When it comes to six, the decision has to be made. It's always tough to know when to hang it up, but given Kaio's responsibility at his current position, that would have to be the limit.

Of course, it would be nice if he could stretch it to Kyushu, his home basho. Last November, Kaio promised his local koenkai backers that he would return as an active rikishi. Even when he was suffering from his chronic lower back pains, he told those around him, "I have to make it to my 20th Kyushu Basho. I am not going to be defeated by the injury."

Kaio currently has 705 makuuchi victories--fifth most all-time. One more win and he ties Musashimaru. Above that are only three dai-yokozuna--Chiyonofuji, Kitanoumi and Taiho. All the more incentive to continue.

Nikkansports feels that Kaio's responsibility as one of sumo's marquee stars put him in this current predicament. He participated in the summer jungyo even though his hamstring injury was not fully healed. His doctor had advised him to take it slow and let the injury get well." Kaio, however, responded by saying, "I can do sonkyo and I can even do shiko . . ." With that attitude, he joined the tour midway in Akita and helped make it a success despite the absence of Asashoryu.

After his loss to Hokutoriki on Day 3, he was asked whether he would go kyujo and prepare for a last stand in Kyushu. Kaio's response was: "People may think I look pretty pathetic, but there is no better place to get back my sumo sense than on the dohyo."

Well, the magic number is 3. Today, he faces Ama, who has already defeated Hakuho and Kotomitsuki. Tomorrow, it is going to be Dejima with "genki deashi."

Edited by madorosumaru

A real brave Man! (Sign of approval...) Keep up to Kyushu! Y deserve it! (Enjoyable TV program...)

Should been an yokozuna. (Clapping wildly...)

He would be a better yokozuna than one of the actual yokozunas.

Well, this is now interesting. He has arested the slide by beating Ama, who is sanyaku. does this mean that if he goes win-loss from here on in and gets 8-7 than that is OK, or will they think that when he gets to say 6-6 or 7-6 that he should go. I would think let the basho take its course. If he is 1-5 then I'm sure the writing is on the wall. I'm hoping to see him at 4-3 and with a lot more confidence!!

I feel that's it now....I can's say how sad I feel... :-)

To quote yourself - think positive. He will be kadoban for Kyushu, I guess that's certain by now, but let's hope he will be genki and turn the situation around then. He's done it before. And if he doesn't...well, then it's time. He can lose some weight, which hopefully will make his back feel better, he can settle down a bit more, become a great oyakata and train the ozekis of the future. It will be a big change, both for him and his fans, but hopefully it will be a change for the better for him. He will always be one of the greats of sumo, he doesn't have anything to prove anymore IMO.

I will miss him like hell though, whenever he goes - the bashos won't be the same without Kaio to cheer for. Let us root for his young deshi instead. (I didn't get to see today's bout - got involved in a car crash. It's the 13th today, I nearly forgot...)

Nothing wrong with being emotional. :-) Been emotional myself since Sunday.

Funny thing, how one can be so emotional about a person one hasn't even met. We invest a lot of feelings in these guys (or at least many of us do).

Edited by Koneko

I got this message today from Tomozuna Beya and before I'll put it on the website, I'll post it here:

This morning, Kaio did keiko as usual. He didn't recover from his injury completely; however, he doesn

Edited by Fay

Thank you for posting this, Fay! :-)

You know, this man's sheer will is astonishing! It's just...man, I have no words.

I haven't been able to watch the daily stream, and I've been worried about Kaio. This injury really seems to be affecting his performance this time. But I'm going to keep cheering him one, and hope he can turn his win number around.

Thank-you for posting that statement from the beya for us, Fay! It's really awing to read. (Holiday feeling...)

Don't!

just let it go like the rest of us did ..... (Holiday feeling...)

as you can see he is just a 250px-060227comet.jpg in this forum ....

Well, Kaio will go to Kyushu . . . for his last stand.

NSK announced that Ozeki Kaio will be kyujo as of Day 6. The reason: "Injury to the flexor muscle in his left thigh" that will require two weeks to heal. Kaio had hurt his thigh on Day 12 of Nagoya Basho and the injury had lingered till now.

This is his 17th kyujo and he will be kadoban for the record 11th time in Kyushu. Kadoban means little this time since a poor performance would result in intai. Tomozuna Oyakata said, "He told me he will appear in Kyushu prepared for that eventuality."

NSK announced that Ozeki Kaio will be kyujo as of Day 6. The reason: "Injury to the flexor muscle in his left thigh" that will require two weeks to heal. Kaio had hurt his thigh on Day 12 of Nagoya Basho and the injury had lingered till now.

This is his 17th kyujo and he will be kadoban for the record 11th time in Kyushu. Kadoban means little this time since a poor performance would result in intai. Tomozuna Oyakata said, "He told me he will appear in Kyushu prepared for that eventuality."

That's a smart idea, I think. Kyushu would be the right ending for a great career, whether he actually completes his last basho or not. A few years ago I was certain he wouldn't be able to keep going for that long.

(Sign of approval...), old warrior.

well, asa will still be injured, so theres one guaranteed loss that will get replaced with a perhaps winnable bout. Of course if hes still injured, its meaningless, as we see how he is when he cant "generate power".

Wow.... I can only admire this man's courage and sheer willpower..... (Sign of approval...) Kaio-zeki!

As much as I want him to keep competing I must say he has been a disgrace this basho. I know fans and all of us give more leeway to him because of his past accomplishments and his indefatigable spirit but if this was any other rikishi, we would have been up in arms.

He was right in going on kyujo last basho after barely managing kachikoshi and was right in not trying to kill himself by going to the jyungyo. But he was wrong to come back this basho as he knew he was in no condition to compete as a full fledged ozeki. It was inevitable that he had to go on kyujo at some point.

I suspect his thigh injury isn't just a bruised muscle or anything of sort. It's much serious and he probably knows it well. His chronic lower body injury isn't getting any better. All other rikishi know how badly he is hurt. It's really unfair to them as no one wants to be the one to possibly causing a permanent damage to such a popular rikishi.

His thigh injury hasn't recovered at all in two months since the last basho and I don't see it will do that much better in the next two months. If he comes back there, chances are it will be a repeat of this basho.

Perhaps one good thing is that with Asashoryu's absence at least he can sell more tickets and gives an opportunity for the local fans to say the final farewell to him.

That's a smart idea, I think. Kyushu would be the right ending for a great career, whether he actually completes his last basho or not. A few years ago I was certain he wouldn't be able to keep going for that long.

(Holiday feeling...), old warrior.

And it would be nice, when he could end his career with a KK.