Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

that green looks a little darker than the colour I expect with Irish teams. Am I correct?

I saw footage of the French team last night in their match with England. I thought their blue was darker than usual as well.

(I wonder if non-Japan based members know that here the clock is never limited to 24 hours)

Or that many broadcasters display the time 12:00 as 0:00 on the screen when doing the noon-hour news :-)

I don't like this new suit. It looks like a poor training suit ! :-O Actually, it IS a training suit ! Proof : they played like potatoes last week-end against England. Happily, the English played like turnips.... (joke ! :-) (Sigh...) )

We are very lucky to have Attila with us ! We need such players for the World Cup. With Argentina and Ireland in our group, it will be very hard to reach the quarters !

With Argentina and Ireland in our group, it will be very hard to reach the quarters !

I know. Talk about the group of death!!

You must finish first of this group if you want to continue to dream about the World cup

The third place, you come back at home after the first round...

The second place, you play against New Zealand* in quarter (Sigh...) ...

so only one place for three teams ;-)

(* Of course I don't believe Italy or Scotland can win against the blacks (Laughing...) )

[France have beaten NZ before at the world cup ...

Yes, one of only three countries to beat the All Blacks at the World Cup ever. NZ has only ever lost 4 games in total over five tournaments.

I know. Talk about the group of death!!

You're right. This is exactly what I thought when I saw the nations of this group ! Anyway we won't get bored whlie watching TV !

Anyway that France - NZ game in 1999 was just amazing. If only the French could have played in the final the same way.

Hmmmmm. I still remember that match ! (Laughing...) I was 12.... It took place in Twickenham, but at times they were singing the Marseillaise ! They played well. (And Dominici took the ball.... He was aready running fast !)

They didn't play very well at the final, because (this is my theory) when you beat the All Blacks in a world cup match, in your mind you are world chamipion ! So you consider the matches left are unimportant !

ps. I thought New-Zealand had lost 5 matches throught the diffrent World Cups (0 in 1987, 1 in 1991 against Australia, 1 in 1995 against South Africa, 2 in 1999 against France THEN South Africa and 1 in 2003 against Australia -> 0 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 5.... The same as France.... (Sigh...) )

But they are very strong this time !

They didn't play very well at the final, because (this is my theory) when you beat the All Blacks in a world cup match, in your mind you are world chamipion ! So you consider the matches left are unimportant !

Very good theory B-)

It works each time a french athlet or a french team win against the World's N

Wasn't that the game where the German goalkeeper tried to decapitate one of the French players?

No, that was four years before in Spain.

Wasn't that the game where the German goalkeeper tried to decapitate one of the French players?

No, that was four years before in Spain.

Yes it was at Sevilla in 1982...

Schumacher and Battiston

Schumacher and Battiston

Wow! How short are those shorts?!?! Quite a difference from what you see today!

Ireland "lost"* their warm up match to Italy wow! (Nodding yes...)

* lost means they only won when a blind Welsh television official awarded a try that wasnt to Ireland in the closing minutes, which pretty much means they lost the match and they will know it too.

A loss against Scotland the other week too for Ireland

Ireland better pull their socks up!

France 12- Argentina 17...

Ok it's over for France

If we couldn't win against the Pumas... we couldn't win this World Cup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last chance : A win versus Ireland... and a win for Ireland against Argentina...

The Games points difference between the 3 teams will decide who finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd !

Edited by Kaiomitsuki

Argentina!!!

Now that was a good opening match. Not even the caveman could penetrate the Argentine defense in the second half. Surprisingly enough, the DSF broadcast was not disturbed by call-in-quiz rubbish or ad breaks. Maybe IRB has enforced some restrictions on that?

(Applauding...)

Much more passion and communication by the Argentinians than the French. Even though the Argentinian forwards were tiring in the last quarter they managed to hold strong against the French reserves. Pool of Death indeed!

Hmm France will throw everything as us as they have to win. It'll be tough.

also interesting that the runnerup of this group most probably is up against the all blacks in the quarterfinals (Bye, bye...)

My (wild) prediction.....

France come second in their group, and next face the All Blacks. The French amazingly win, but get knocked out in the subsequent round by whoever they meet there.

Edited by Jejima

I watched both games on DSF. Italians were really "porous" in the first half, All Blacks just zoomed through holes in their defense. But they improved in the second half. Did someone see the foul that caused their last messy try to be nullified?

French played like amateurs, dropping the ball all over the place. They deserved that loss. Nice to see another continent getting really good rugby team - way to go, Pumas! (if that is their nickname)

Ireland were very lacklustre against Namibia, a team of amateurs and semi-professionals who played with great heart. Irealnd were flattered in the second half by a poor decision by the ref to award a try in the corner (without consulting the video ref). Until that Namibia were definitely pushing for a bonus point for getting within seven points.

The Group of Death is getting more and more intriguing.

I can't understand what's going on with the Irish team. It's the same one that was brilliant all through the autumn internationals last year and stormed through the 6 nations this year.

<snip>

Since the end of the 6 nations though the team has been dreadful. Why has every player suddenly lost form? Talk about terrible timing. Wish the world cup had been last year. (Clapping wildly...)

They have the players so they just need to get that spark back. Hope it happens soon or it will be the greatest waste of talent in Irish rugby history.

I think this is partly the problem. the Irish team have had a lot of rugby at a high level. They are fatigued from the nature of this rugby. Even though they are a good team, they are unable to recapture this form because they have not peaked for the World Cup.

Either that or it is the dark green uniforms...dark blue didn't work for the French either!!

England's performance today must have been the worse ever for a defending champion in any team sport EVER .... (Shaking head...)

zero? ..... zero? ......... ZERO????

(Holiday feeling...)

Georgia are not that bad a rugby side, but they are no way as good as the scoreline against Ireland suggests! Ireland are going to have to take a long hard look at themselves with their two hardest games ahead. After being handed an opening out of the Group of Death by Argentina's win over France, Ireland seem intent on throwing the opportunity away by lacklustre performances!