Sign in to follow this  
Chisaiyama

Ozeki Kotomitsuki or Ozeki Kotozakura II

During Mickey's 2004 Ozeki-tori his then shisho Sadogatake-oyakata (moto-Yokozuna Kotozakura) told Kotomitsuki that if he succeeded in promotion he would allow him to change his shikona to Kotozakura. Now ex-Sadogatake-oyakata told the press during the run-up to Mickey's successfull Ozeki-tori that "the offer still stands".

Stuck stateside and not being a Japanese linguist I don't have the resources that many of you do. Can anyone tell me if there has been any indication from the parties involved whether this offer is going to be accepted or not? Will we see Ozeki Kotomitsuki or Ozeki Kotozakura II on the Banzuke in Aki?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Edited by Chisaiyama

Will we see Ozeki Kotomitsuki or Ozeki Kotozakura II on the Banzuke in Aki?

Since the writing of the banzuke is probably already completed, it is unlikely that we will see a Kotozakura in Aki. Since there wasn't an immediate shikona change, I suspect we won't get one, even if Mickey goes on to yokozuna.

Won't that change be a bit awkward now that Osh has been there before? I'm with the "wait till Yokozuna" camp here. (which has a certain ring of "never" in it...)

You know, I didn't really like Kotomitsuki's shikona when he first took it. Now, though, I prefer it to Kotozakura. I think there are enough Koto and enough sakura already.

I really don't want him to change his shikona. Kotomitsuki is very good ! I like it. Changing now, it would be weird ! And furthermore, I think "Kotozakura" would make him older than he is. For me Kotozakura is a former rikishi, not a bright, brand new Ozeki !

Good points everyone, thanks for the input. I tend to agree. While Kotozakura was a late bloomer also, I personally never saw him deliver the spirited sumo I have seen from Mickey. Probably best if he sticks with his own unique shikona.

While Kotozakura was a late bloomer also, I personally never saw him deliver the spirited sumo I have seen from Mickey. Probably best if he sticks with his own unique shikona.

While not directly related, I felt the same way when Wakamisugi changed his shikona to Wakanohana (II).

And one more idea for the "no-change" ! Kotozakura is not an Ozeki name, but a Yokozuna name. If Kotomitsuki really wants to change his shikona, he should do that as a Yokozuna.

I'm more worried that calling him "Mickey" wouldn't be as fun, or make any sense if the name change happens. (Whistling...)

I'm more worried that calling him "Mickey" wouldn't be as fun, or make any sense if the name change happens. (Whistling...)

I think it has already been decided that he would become Kojak if he changes his shikona.