Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 15 results, yusho and sansho

Kotomitsuki looked very mortal today, clearly losing to Kisenosato, looking resigned to get his seventh jun-yusho instead of a possible second yusho. Asashoryu made that a fact as he beat Hakuho for his 21st yusho. Kotomitsuki can console himself with his fourth 13-2 in makuuchi, a kanto-sho, a gino-sho (twelve career sansho) and of course the ozeki promotion. Aminishiki got the shukun-sho while Toyohibiki also got a kanto-sho with his 11-4 makuuchi debut.

The sanyaku placements for next basho don't need very lucky promotions after all as all candidates won today. Aminishiki (who actually lost today) will be the east sekiwake next basho and Ama will drop only to komusubi, finishing the basho with four wins. Kisenosato and Asasekiryu will take the other two sanyaku slots as both won today. Tokitenku won, but should get demoted from komusubi to M1e with the 7-8 record.

Kakizoe lost to Kakuryu to finish 6-9 and should be a fifth demotion to juryo (following Baruto, Satoyama, Otsukasa and Hochiyama) as a mere shift from M16e to M16w is not likely with a 6-9. Kasuganishiki and Wakanoho were the two juryo rikishi capitalizing on the opportunity with wins today to get the kachi-koshi and a likely promotion to makuuchi.

There was a three-rikishi-playoff in juryo as Goeido beat shin-sekitori Kitataiki and Kyokutenho won against Iwakiyama to have all three yusho contenders finish at 12-3. Iwakiyama made it a short kettei-sen as he first beat Goeido and then Kyokutenho to clinch his second juryo yusho.

--

Doitsuyama

Juryo

J12w   Katayama (7-8)	  oshidashi	  Ms5w   Kimurayama (4-3)
J11w   Ryuho (6-9)		 yorikiri	   Ms4w   Yoshiazuma (4-3)
J9e	Jumonji (5-10)	  oshidashi	  Ms3w   Takanowaka (4-3)
J9w	Wakakirin (10-5)	oshidashi	  J8w	Hakuba (8-7)
J7e	Tamarikido (5-7-3)  yorikiri	   J13w   Hoshihikari (8-7)
J14w   Chiyohakuho (9-6)   yorikiri	   J6e	Daimanazuru (6-9)
J5w	Goeido (12-3)	   uwatenage	  J13e   Kitataiki (8-7)
J10e   Mokonami (8-7)	  yorikiri	   J5e	Shimootori (5-10)
J12e   Koryu (9-6)		 oshitaoshi	 J4w	Shirononami (6-9)
J4e	Wakanoho (8-7)	  hatakikomi	 J6w	Masatsukasa (7-8)
J3e	Kasuganishiki (8-7) kotenage	   J11e   Kyokunankai (7-8)
J8e	Toyozakura (8-7)	tsukiotoshi	J2w	Tochinohana (6-9)
J7w	Asofuji (4-11)	  yorikiri	   J2e	Ushiomaru (6-9)
J10w   Sakaizawa (7-6-2)   yorikiri	   J1w	Shunketsu (5-10)
J3w	Kyokutenho (12-3)   uwatenage	  J1e	Iwakiyama (12-3)

Makuuchi

M14w   Toyohibiki (11-4)   yorikiri	   M12e   Hakurozan (6-9)
M13w   Tosanoumi (8-7)	 yorikiri	   M11w   Kitazakura (6-9)
M11e   Tokitsuumi (8-7)	yorikiri	   M16w   Hochiyama (6-9)
M15w   Tamakasuga (8-7)	oshidashi	  M10e   Kasugao (7-8)
M9w	Kokkai (6-9)		oshitaoshi	 M17e   Otsukasa (6-9)
M9e	Tochinonada (10-5)  yorikiri	   M15e   Kaiho (10-5)
M8w	Ryuo (5-10)		 tsukiotoshi	M12w   Satoyama (2-13)
M8e	Kakuryu (9-6)	   kotenage	   M16e   Kakizoe (6-9)
M7w	Futeno (5-10)	   yorikiri	   M13e   Yoshikaze (6-9)
M4w	Toyonoshima (7-8)   yorikiri	   M5w	Tamanoshima (6-9)

M2e	Dejima (5-10)	   yorikiri	   M2w	Wakanosato (5-10)
M1w	Asasekiryu (8-7)	hikiotoshi	 M10w   Hokutoriki (10-5)
M3e	Takekaze (4-11)	 hatakikomi	 M1e	Kotoshogiku (5-10)
M5e	Miyabiyama (7-8)	tsukiotoshi	K1w	Aminishiki (8-7)
K1e	Tokitenku (7-8)	 yorikiri	   M4e	Takamisakari (3-12)
M6w	Kisenosato (11-4)   tsukiotoshi	S1e	Kotomitsuki (13-2)
S1w	Ama (7-8)		   uwatedashinage O2e	Kotooshu (9-6)
O1w	Chiyotaikai (9-6)   hatakikomi	 M6e	Homasho (9-6)
Y1e	Asashoryu (14-1)	yorikiri	   Y1w	Hakuho (11-4)

Juryo yusho kettei-sen

J1e	Iwakiyama		   unknown		J5w	Goeido
J1e	Iwakiyama		   yoritaoshi	 J3w	Kyokutenho

List of Yusho

Makuuchi:  Asashoryu (21st)
Juryo:	 Iwakiyama (2nd)
Makushita: Isobe
Sandanme:  Minami
Jonidan:   Tosayutaka
Jonokuchi: Tokitsukasa

List of Sansho

Gino-sho:   Kotomitsuki (7th)
Shukun-sho: Aminishiki (2nd)
Kanto-sho:  Kotomitsuki (4th), Toyohibiki (1st)

Since it was raised elsewhere about Kotomitsuki, let's do a Juryo equivalent: Iwakiyama's 5 years and 2 months between his first and second Juryo yusho ties him for 11th place all-time. Incidentally, of the 10 guys ahead of him three are currently active - Tochinonada (#2, 9 years 2 months), Tokitsuumi (#4T, 8 years 2 months) and Otsukasa (#8T, 5 years 8 months).

Edited by Asashosakari

No Shukun-sho for Kotomitsuki? I am surprised. He won three out of four against the Yokuzuna/Ozeki, while Aminishiki was only one out of five. I guess they considered it prize-worthy that he delivered Asa's only loss?

No Shukun-sho for Kotomitsuki? I am surprised. He won three out of four against the Yokuzuna/Ozeki, while Aminishiki was only one out of five. I guess they considered it prize-worthy that he delivered Asa's only loss?

i also think that it is rather weird......ok, he is the only one to beat the yusho-winner, but on the other hand he only one against 1!!!! (asasekiryu) kk-rikishi...the opponents he won against (but asashoryu) are a combined 39-66.....i guess one third of makuuchi would be more qualified to win a sansho....

i also think that it is rather weird......ok, he is the only one to beat the yusho-winner, but on the other hand he only one against 1!!!! (asasekiryu) kk-rikishi...the opponents he won against (but asashoryu) are a combined 39-66.....i guess one third of makuuchi would be more qualified to win a sansho....

I'm a bit confused why you would try to analyse the shukun-sho awarding by the "rules" that generally guide the kanto-sho instead. Fair enough if you think that giving a sansho to an 8-win rikishi is wrong on principle, but to call it "weird" when it has happened many, many times before is...well, weird, I suppose. One would assume that you've been watching sumo long enough to realize it's nothing extraordinary.

Edit: Random addition...Aminishiki is the first one in over 10 years to win consecutive shukun-sho below the rank of Sekiwake.

Edited by Asashosakari

Kotomitsuki looked very mortal today....

I had the same impression of Hakuho during the shikiri for his bout. He looked like a deer in the headlights.

I had the same impression of Hakuho during the shikiri for his bout. He looked like a deer in the headlights.

LOL conspiracy? I was hoping for a playoff match, sigh... he served these belt grips on a silver platter way too easily.

I'm a bit confused why you would try to analyse the shukun-sho awarding by the "rules" that generally guide the kanto-sho instead. Fair enough if you think that giving a sansho to an 8-win rikishi is wrong on principle, but to call it "weird" when it has happened many, many times before is...well, weird, I suppose. One would assume that you've been watching sumo long enough to realize it's nothing extraordinary.

Edit: Random addition...Aminishiki is the first one in over 10 years to win consecutive shukun-sho below the rank of Sekiwake.

your are right....

sansho is not a part of sumo i follow closely...so i should not add my comment....

i just did not think his overall performance made him a worthy winner.....