Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 13 results and day 14 pairings

Kotomitsuki continued his strong sumo with a good win, giving Homasho the third straight loss. Hakuho didn't have a good tachi-ai, and Kotooshu used the momentum for a quick yorikiri win, giving his heyamate a big favor and reaching kachi-koshi himself. Asashoryu had an even bigger tachi-ai advantage against Chiyotaikai for an easy yorikiri win and is leading at 12-1 together with Kotomitsuki. Hakuho needs to find the form from the start of the basho to beat Chiyotaikai and Asashoryu on the last two days, and he must hope for Kotomitsuki to lose one of the last two bouts, starting tomorrow with Tochinonada.

Chiyotaikai won't be an easy opponent for Hakuho as the ozeki still needs a win to avoid kadoban. Kaio got injury added to insult yesterday and had to go kyujo, giving Tokitenku a free win. The ozeki finishes this basho kachi-koshi at 8-5-2 with 705 makuuchi wins, only one win short of Musashimaru for fourth place all-time.

Aminishiki won against Takamisakari, his fifth straight win to move from 3-5 to 8-5 and secure a promotion to sekiwake. Asasekiryu made a smaller move with three straight wins from 4-5 to 7-5. The lead maegashira needs another win to secure kachi-koshi and promotion to sanyaku. Since all other rikishi from sekiwake to M5 are make-koshi already (except M5 Miyabiyama who is 6-7 and Kotomitsuki who is going somewhere else), a sekiwake debut for Asasekiryu would be very likely. The two M6 Homasho and Kisenosato then are bound to be the two komusubi next basho as both are 9-4 and even if the lose the last two bouts I don't see anyone overtaking them, except Ama or Tokitenku staying in sanyaku with 7-8 if they win on the last two days. In fact, I already see a very empty M2 to M6 range, posing a challenge in creating the next banzuke.

Otsukasa lost with kotenage to Kasugao and is make-koshi with demotion to juryo. Satoyama also is ensured to go down with is 11th loss, against Futeno. Tamakasuga had a surprising win against Tochinonada and at 7-6 probably is safe from demotion now.

In juryo Kyokutenho and Goeido had a very good bout with Goeido showing his makuuchi readiness with a strong shitatenage, getting to 10-3 and a likely promotion to makuuchi. Iwakiyama easily beat Masatsukasa to pull even with Kyokutenho, with Goeido on win behind. The two leader most likely will meet on senshuraku, so Goeido must hope for at least one of them to lose tomorrow to keep yusho chances for himself.

Shimootori doesn't seem to have fully recovered from injury as he is make-koshi already with a loss to Kyokunankai. The two shin-sekitori Hoshihikari and Kitataiki are kachi-koshi with wins today, but Sakaizawa fell to 5-6-2, landing hard on his injured arm. Ryuho and Katayama both won against makushita rikishi, but still need to win out.

--

Doitsuyama

Day 13

Juryo

J12w   Katayama (5-8)	  oshidashi	  Ms4e   Kirinowaka (3-4)
J11w   Ryuho (4-9)		 oshidashi	  Ms5e   Tamaasuka (3-4)
J9w	Wakakirin (8-5)	 uwatedashinage J10e   Mokonami (7-6)
J13w   Hoshihikari (8-5)   yoritaoshi	 J8w	Hakuba (7-6)
J14w   Chiyohakuho (8-5)   oshidashi	  J7w	Asofuji (3-10)
J13e   Kitataiki (8-5)	 yorikiri	   J6e	Daimanazuru (6-7)
J11e   Kyokunankai (7-6)   okuridashi	 J5e	Shimootori (5-8)
J7e	Tamarikido (4-6-3)  tsukiotoshi	J4w	Shirononami (5-8)
J12e   Koryu (7-6)		 yorikiri	   J4e	Wakanoho (7-6)
J5w	Goeido (10-3)	   shitatenage	J3w	Kyokutenho (11-2)
J3e	Kasuganishiki (6-7) katasukashi	J9e	Jumonji (3-10)
J2w	Tochinohana (6-7)   yoritaoshi	 J10w   Sakaizawa (5-6-2)
J8e	Toyozakura (7-6)	hatakikomi	 J1w	Shunketsu (4-9)
J1e	Iwakiyama (11-2)	oshidashi	  J6w	Masatsukasa (6-7)

Makuuchi

M16w   Hochiyama (5-8)	 uwatedashinage J2e	Ushiomaru (5-8)
M16e   Kakizoe (6-7)	   hatakikomi	 M13e   Yoshikaze (6-7)
M14w   Toyohibiki (9-4)	oshitaoshi	 M11e   Tokitsuumi (6-7)
M10w   Hokutoriki (10-3)   tsukiotoshi	M11w   Kitazakura (6-7)
M10e   Kasugao (6-7)	   kotenage	   M17e   Otsukasa (5-8)
M15w   Tamakasuga (7-6)	okuridashi	 M9e	Tochinonada (9-4)
M13w   Tosanoumi (6-7)	 oshidashi	  M8w	Ryuo (3-10)
M8e	Kakuryu (7-6)	   shitatenage	M15e   Kaiho (9-4)
M7w	Futeno (4-9)		yorikiri	   M12w   Satoyama (2-11)
M6w	Kisenosato (9-4)	tsukidashi	 M12e   Hakurozan (6-7)

M4w	Toyonoshima (5-8)   tsukiotoshi	M9w	Kokkai (5-8)
M2w	Wakanosato (4-9)	shitatenage	M5w	Tamanoshima (5-8)
M1w	Asasekiryu (7-6)	hatakikomi	 M3e	Takekaze (3-10)
M1e	Kotoshogiku (5-8)   yorikiri	   M2e	Dejima (4-9)
K1w	Aminishiki (8-5)	yorikiri	   M4e	Takamisakari (3-10)
S1w	Ama (5-8)		   yorikiri	   M5e	Miyabiyama (6-7)
S1e	Kotomitsuki (12-1)  yorikiri	   M6e	Homasho (9-4)
K1e	Tokitenku (5-8)	 fusen		  O1e	Kaio (8-5)
O2e	Kotooshu (8-5)	  yorikiri	   Y1w	Hakuho (11-2)
Y1e	Asashoryu (12-1)	yorikiri	   O1w	Chiyotaikai (7-6)

Day 14

Juryo

Ms2e   Kobo (4-2)						 J11w   Ryuho (4-9)
J13e   Kitataiki (8-5)					J8w	Hakuba (7-6)
J7e	Tamarikido (4-6-3)				 J12w   Katayama (5-8)
J9e	Jumonji (3-10)					 J7w	Asofuji (3-10)
J14w   Chiyohakuho (8-5)				  J6w	Masatsukasa (6-7)
J5e	Shimootori (5-8)				   J12e   Koryu (7-6)
J13w   Hoshihikari (8-5)				  J5w	Goeido (10-3)
J4e	Wakanoho (7-6)					 J10w   Sakaizawa (5-6-2)
J11e   Kyokunankai (7-6)				  J4w	Shirononami (5-8)
J3e	Kasuganishiki (6-7)				J10e   Mokonami (7-6)
J9w	Wakakirin (8-5)					J3w	Kyokutenho (11-2)
J1e	Iwakiyama (11-2)				   J8e	Toyozakura (7-6)
J6e	Daimanazuru (6-7)				  J1w	Shunketsu (4-9)

Makuuchi

J2w	Tochinohana (6-7)				  M16w   Hochiyama (5-8)
J2e	Ushiomaru (5-8)					M12w   Satoyama (2-11)
M11e   Tokitsuumi (6-7)				   M16e   Kakizoe (6-7)
M14w   Toyohibiki (9-4)				   M11w   Kitazakura (6-7)
M10e   Kasugao (6-7)					  M12e   Hakurozan (6-7)
M17e   Otsukasa (5-8)					 M10w   Hokutoriki (10-3)
M15e   Kaiho (9-4)						M9w	Kokkai (5-8)
M8e	Kakuryu (7-6)					  M15w   Tamakasuga (7-6)
M13w   Tosanoumi (6-7)					M7w	Futeno (4-9)
M13e   Yoshikaze (6-7)					M5w	Tamanoshima (5-8)

M3e	Takekaze (3-10)					M8w	Ryuo (3-10)
M2e	Dejima (4-9)					   M4w	Toyonoshima (5-8)
M1e	Kotoshogiku (5-8)				  M2w	Wakanosato (4-9)
M6w	Kisenosato (9-4)				   M1w	Asasekiryu (7-6)
K1e	Tokitenku (5-8)					M5e	Miyabiyama (6-7)
S1e	Kotomitsuki (12-1)				 M9e	Tochinonada (9-4)
M4e	Takamisakari (3-10)				S1w	Ama (5-8)
O2e	Kotooshu (8-5)					 K1w	Aminishiki (8-5)
Y1e	Asashoryu (12-1)				   M6e	Homasho (9-4)
O1w	Chiyotaikai (7-6)				  Y1w	Hakuho (11-2)

I'm wondering about the reason Asa have a bout with Homasho. Is there any reason he could not meet with Kotoshogiku whom he have hot met this time? Homa have a quit harsh schedule at the end of this HonBasho. To compare with Kise his opponents were from higher ranks even up to now and it easier for Kise to gain a win tomorrow also.

I'm wondering about the reason Asa have a bout with Homasho. Is there any reason he could not meet with Kotoshogiku whom he have hot met this time? Homa have a quit harsh schedule at the end of this HonBasho.

The torikumi was set before today's results, at which time Homasho still had a chance for the yusho, especially with a possible win against Kotomitsuki. Kotoshogiku on the other hand already had his make-koshi and didn't really need to face the yokozuna anymore.

I'm wondering about the reason Asa have a bout with Homasho.

Asashoryu should have fought Kaio on day 14. As Kaio was wounded and has withdrawn from this basho, they had to find someone else, so they took Homasho, who seems quite well at this time (even if he lost some bout lately). And Kotoshogiku is 5/8, so it is not a real challenge for the Yokozuna.

Thank you both for the answers!

My question probably wasn't clear enough but I think I got the understanding that there is no special reason why Asa has not a bout with Shogi. It's clear that he can't meet Kaio as by normal circumstances, but I asked it because I thought that Shogi should be the first choice for replacement. I wondered also before at day 9 when Asa got Miyabiyama as his opponent instead of Kotoshogiku. The normal rule is that Yokozuna meets the best in the banzuke. At this moment there weren't any Yusho considerations to care about.

Also at this moment I don't see the reason to pick Homasho - because before todays results, when the torikumi was made, the difference with leaders and Homasho was already 2 wins. There was very remote possibility that leaders will lose all of their bouts and Homasho wins them all. Even it was impossible, because the last bout between the two Yokozunas granted at least one win to three leaders. Then kettei-sen has been granted.

My concern came out of seeing Kise and Homasho at the same rank and looking forward seeing Kise to finish better than Homasho and probably getting Komusubi slot with much easier torikumi schedule than Homasho. I saw this kind of torikumi unluck happen also before this HonBasho and I can state that it's not good to have a good start !! (Whistling...) :-D

... I can state that it's not good to have a good start !! (Whistling...) :-D

Well, having a good start is a big advantage in sansho considerations which mitigates Homasho's troubles a bit.

My question probably wasn't clear enough but I think I got the understanding that there is no special reason why Asa has not a bout with Shogi. It's clear that he can't meet Kaio as by normal circumstances, but I asked it because I thought that Shogi should be the first choice for replacement. I wondered also before at day 9 when Asa got Miyabiyama as his opponent instead of Kotoshogiku. The normal rule is that Yokozuna meets the best in the banzuke. At this moment there weren't any Yusho considerations to care about.

If I had to guess, it was probably because Roho's withdrawal threw a wrench into their plans. Roho had already faced Asashoryu (okay, that was the fusen he gave up), but not Hakuho. Kotoshogiku ended up facing Hakuho on Day 9, as the yokozuna's last maegashira opponent. Maybe they didn't want Hakuho to skip two of the top 15 opponents (Roho and Shogiku) while Asashoryu would have fought all 15, so they put Asashoryu against Miyabiyama instead.

As for Asashoryu not getting Kotoshogiku as his opponent now, I can only expand on what Jakusotsu already said...when the need for such an unexpected "extra" bout arises, it's extremely rare to see a make-koshi Maegashira picked for it. Homasho is the highest non-MK rikishi available, so he gets the bout, probably independent of his (former) yusho chances.

Edit: Alright, Tamanoshima is ranked higher and wasn't make-koshi yet (5-7) when the torikumi was made, but that's close enough for me.

Edited by Asashosakari

If I had to guess, it was probably because Roho's withdrawal threw a wrench into their plans. Roho had already faced Asashoryu (okay, that was the fusen he gave up), but not Hakuho. Kotoshogiku ended up facing Hakuho on Day 9, as the yokozuna's last maegashira opponent. Maybe they didn't want Hakuho to skip two of the top 15 opponents (Roho and Shogiku) while Asashoryu would have fought all 15, so they put Asashoryu against Miyabiyama instead.

As for Asashoryu not getting Kotoshogiku as his opponent now, I can only expand on what Jakusotsu already said...when the need for such an unexpected "extra" bout arises, it's extremely rare to see a make-koshi Maegashira picked for it. Homasho is the highest non-MK rikishi available, so he gets the bout, probably independent of his (former) yusho chances.

Edit: Alright, Tamanoshima is ranked higher and wasn't make-koshi yet (5-7) when the torikumi was made, but that's close enough for me.

Thanks! (Whistling...)

This thoughts give some sense. In day 9 the torikumi makers tried to achieve equality between the two Yokozunas and now they picked most honorable opponent for Yokuzuna taking in consideration also the current score. So the reason can be called 'being MK already'.

Sakaizawa fell to 5-6-2, landing hard on his injured arm.

I'm more than excreable at guessing banzuke positions. Best case he's going to finish 7-6-2 (effectively 7-8), worst case will be 5-8-2 or 5-6-4 (both effectively 5-10). Three of the rikishi below him in Juryo are already KK, two others are 7-6. Two are already MK, and one is absent.

If Sakaizawa finishes 5-10 from W-J10 I'm fairly certain he'll go back to Makushita. But can he hang on from 7-8? And how would it likely go if he's 6-9?

Edited by Fukurou

Man, i wish wakanoho wasnt losing all of the time. He would have a shot at the 4th open slot perhaps for promotion after iwaki, 10ho, goeido.

Wakanoho, goeido, tochiozan, toyohibiki, could be the best exciting young crop in maegashira in years.

Man, i wish wakanoho wasnt losing all of the time. He would have a shot at the 4th open slot perhaps for promotion after iwaki, 10ho, goeido.

Wakanoho, goeido, tochiozan, toyohibiki, could be the best exciting young crop in maegashira in years.

I don't know... I think Wakanoho is the most dissapointing rikishi in years. Did you see him henka Iwakiyama? Does he know any other kimarite besides hatakikomi? Even if he makes it to the makuuchi ranks soon, they'll eat him alive. If he can't learn the fundamentals of sumo, he will probably get Baruto-ed into an early retirement.

Goeido on the other hand has been kicking some serious tail but he seems a little on the small side.

Edited by That-Satsu-Guy