Sign in to follow this  
paolo

Asashoryu-Chiyotaikai

Chiyotaikai did not resist for a second and did not even try his tsuppari. I had the impression he thought

that it was a matta. Or was simply Asashoryu very quick to start all steam ?

I had the impression he thought that it was a matta.

Me too. It looks like he was waiting for the stopsign.

My impression from the stream was that both asa and chiyo at one moment kind of agreed of a matta, then asashoryu took the opppurtunity.

Really bad almost pathetic, me and probably all the fans wants to see sumo not some kind of... I dont know what that was. :-D

... I dont know what that was. :-D

I would say: That was Jonokuchi-like (Clapping wildly...)

It is not the best way to win, but Chiyotaikai made a mistake, and Asashoryu took the opportunity ! The Kyoji could have called a matta. But it is not Asashoryu's fault ! In fact I think that if Chiyotaikai had not stood up, a matta would have been called (because Chiyotaikai would have fallen on his ass)....

It was not a beautiful fight, but Asashoryu did nothing wrong.

Now I had an opportunity to watch the bout again.

1. Chiyotaikai sits down and almost immediately stands up , without touching the ground with any of his fists, but giving the impression to be determined to start the bout (or did he want just to cause a matta on purpose ?).

2. Exactly in the very same time as Chiyotaikai does that, Asashoryu goes down, briefly touches the ground with his fists and immediately leans forward and starts (which is not his standard style of starting), taking Chiyotaikai leaning forward as in a "regular" start.

3. Chiyotaikai is clearly taken off guards in surprise and cannot do anything but hope that the gyoji stops the bout. But the gyoji cannot have seen all this stuff or, if he has, he thinks that Chiyotaikai's attitude deserves what is going on, and so ... easy easy easy win for Asashoryu ! Asashoryu is not guilty !

Guest tsukan

I think he was just mad as he coudn't start his hand tsuppari fest going. As thats all he can do! haha(Neener, neener...) Don't cry mata you baby! I feel like he's a one trick pony or just getting bored of this basho or lack of air.

I seem to remember this happening already to Propeller-Feller not too long ago.. Anyone remember?

Edited by Kintamayama

Yeah, I think Chiyotaikai thought it was a matta, or was trying to get a matta going (to see if Asa was going to henka or not), and by the time he realized he wasn't going to get it, it was too late.

The disgusted look on Kokonoe-oyakata's face was priceless.

I watched it again last night and I've chnaged my opinion. Chiyotaikai did do a matta, but Asashoryu didn't react like most rikishi would and stay still. The yokozuna has such amazing reaction speed that he moved forward in the space between Chiyotaikai starting the matta and pulling up. In other words he reacted so quickly the matta suddenly wasn't a matta! Amazing.

That's how I saw it, too! Asa has no room for matta when he's going at lightening speed!!! (Whistling...) Chiyo needs to "man up!"