Sign in to follow this  
paolo

is Hakuho tired ?

the latest 4 Hakuho's bouts are: loss to Kotomitsuki (good bout but clear loss) ; win (?!) with Ama who fell down by himself ; loss (?!) to Kaio (not so bad bout, but clear loss in "sumo terms" apart from the debatable torinaoshi decision); loss to Kotooshu (good resistance, but clearly dominated from the start). Is something happening to his sumo or is he simply tired ?

I saw all the bouts on livestream and I also must say, that he's not so powerful like the first days.

For me he looks a little bit overbearing and I miss the big concentration before he fights. :-D

It's the Shiranui curse. :-D

Can anyone name the last time a Shiranui yokozuna won a yusho?

Hmmm........... Tachiyama (#22 ) ? (Whistling...)

It's not THAT long ago... Asahifuji won a yusho as yokozuna in Natsu 1991.

And a few years prior to Asahifuji, Takanosato went zensho (Whistling...) in his Yokozuna debut.

And a few years prior to Asahifuji, Takanosato went zensho (Whistling...) in his Yokozuna debut.

i hope the shiranui nonsense does not affect hakuho's confidence. Many a yokozuna did not do well as debut yokozuna.

i hope the shiranui curse nonsense does not affect hakuho's confidence. Many a yokozuna did not do well as debut yokozuna.

i hope the shiranui curse nonsense does not affect hakuho's confidence. Many a yokozuna did not do well as debut yokozuna.

I'm sure it won't. Hakuho has always had such composure, I think he is beyond that sort of thing. He is also the son of a Mongolian yokozuna so he is used to the limelight.

He's only human though, so he'll still have a yokozuna's share of ups and downs.

Hakuho is one win behind the leaders going into Day 14. This is nothing to be ashamed of, and a damn good performance for a Shin-Yokozuna.

Newbie here. Have NHK via satellite here in Florida, though my wife (Japanese) and I are moving to Portland, Oregon next month. I've been watching sumo since '99 ('99-'02 in Japan).

I think Hakuho's tachiai is horrible, but he has until the last few days been able to fight back due to his great strength and foundation. But start slow long enough against quality opponents and you'll start losing. And now it's just snowballing/mental. He certainly lost to Kaio the first time too. Who would have thought two months ago when Asa & H's roles were reversed, that H wouldn't even figure on Day 15 in Nagoya. And with a new ozeki coming our way and Kotooshu rediscovering interest in the dohyo, September should be awesome.

the latest 4 Hakuho's bouts are: loss to Kotomitsuki (good bout but clear loss) ; win (?!) with Ama who fell down by himself ; loss (?!) to Kaio (not so bad bout, but clear loss in "sumo terms" apart from the debatable torinaoshi decision); loss to Kotooshu (good resistance, but clearly dominated from the start). Is something happening to his sumo or is he simply tired ?

Just to modify and add something to my own post:

the last 6 Hakuho's bouts are:

loss to Kotomitsuki (good bout but clear loss) ;

win (?!) with Ama who fell down by himself ;

loss (?!) to Kaio (not so bad bout, but clear loss in "sumo terms" apart from the debatable torinaoshi

decision);

loss to Kotooshu (good resistance, but clearly dominated from the start);

loss to Chiyotaikai ( not totally bad, but the whole bout was completely fought in Chiyotaikai's style); loss to Asashoryu (was Hakuho there ? did somebody see him ?).

In the first 9 bouts Hakuho displayed self-confidence and strength; in the last 6 he was a normal average rikishi, who clearly lost to every Ozeki/Yokozuna.

On the contrary Asashoryu started with difficulties: he looked not well trained and even not well sure on his legs, even if somewhat better than in recent basho'es; he slipped, his strength did not seem at the top. At the end he clearly dominated Kotomitsuki and the ozeki's and won the basho.... Does that depend on experience, on determination, on mental strength ?

In the first 9 bouts Hakuho displayed self-confidence and strength; in the last 6 he was a normal average rikishi, who clearly lost to every Ozeki/Yokozuna.

I kind of disagree with this.

In 3 of his first 9 wins the kimarite was hatakikomi and the rest of his wins were also not all very impressive. That is more Hokutoriki like sumo than Yokozuna sumo.

My impression is that Hakuho was not at his best the whole basho and he got a good start only because he faced weaker opponents first.

I think tired is also involved here. I remember the commentators saying at the end of the previous basho that he was going to be a very busy person upon permotion.

I don't know for sure what all takes place when a person gets promoted to Yokozuna, but between parties, ceramonies, sponsers commitments and probably a lot more he would probably not get as much keiko done under ordinary times.

I think you may see him in a much different light in September.

Just a jonidon's opinion.

philafuji