Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 10 Nagoya basho 2007

Toyohibiki (7-3) over Kakuryu by oshidashi, 2.8 seconds

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Getting a win in exactly cathe way he wanted by pushing his opponent off forcefully out of the dohyo)

"I kept moving forward and then forward. I feel I am gradully improving. I don't feel tired at all. When I start thinking about strategy and other stuff, I will start getting too over anxious so I just think about moving forward."

Homasho (9-1) over Kitazakura by yorikiri, 3.7 seconds

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Improving his sumo every time out but still finding things to sharpen up)

"At the end I lost the uwate. I feel my arms are not sealing my opponent's arms from getting to my mawashi. I really need to go with more force from my right."

(On facing Kaio tomorrow)

"It's an ozeki bout. I want to go out without getting too defensive and move forward. Regardless of win or loss, I feel I can really go out with all I have right now."

"I am trying not to think about the yusho race or anything. I am just trying to take each bout one day at a time."

Toyonoshima (3-7) over Futeno by hikiotoshi, 18.0 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Winning the battle of seven loss rikishi)

"I am sure it was the same way with him too but I sure didn't want to go on Makekoshi this easily."

Takekaze (2-8) losing to Dejima by sukuinage, 1.6 second

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Officially joining the Makekoshi club but still trying to find something positive)

"Well now I have no hope of having my rank going up on the banzuke next basho but at the same time, I can now compete without a lot of pressure."

Aminishiki (5-5) over Asasekiryu by oshidashi, 11.2 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Notching a surprise win between two skilled technicians with brute force using tsukioshi)

"Actually I went out trying to get the mawashi initially but it turned into something totally different."

"I caught a cold and it's really draining my strenth. But on the other hand I am not worrying about anything else now."

Kotooshu (6-4) losing to Chiyotaikai by yorikiri, 8.7 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't figure out if I am having a good sumo or bad sumo. I have to discover for what's good."

Chiyotaikai (6-4) over Kotooshu

------------------------------------------

(Winning when Kokonoe oyakata was working as chief dohyo judge, for first time since day 1)

"It's been a while but finally I was able to win in front of my shisho."

"I find some oppoenents much easier to deal with. I am now starting to see the Kachikoshi line now."

Kaio (7-3) losing to Takamisakari by yorikiri, 6.0 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I couldn't time the tachiai right so I coudn't do anything."

Takamisakari (2-8) over Kaio

----------------------------------

(Beating an ozeki for first time since his win over Tochiazuma two years ago. His face squashed from crying.)

"Yesterday I suffered the Makekoshi. Today I went out thinking nothing at all. It was like let anything come over my way and threw myself into it."

"Then by the time I realized what was going on, I was in an incredibly great position. I couldn't even believe my luck myself. He is such a strong rikishi so I am really really happy I was able to win today."

"Kaio-zeki has always been kind in helping me during training sessions. Too many things happened I am not sure what to think but I feel I finally was able to reward him for all he has done for me. I am so happy."

Asashoryu (9-1) over Ama by yorikiri, 14.4 seconds

-----------------------------------------------------------

(On seeing Hakuho beaten)

"That was so quick. Hakuho just got blown away from the dohyo."

(Exectuing a deliberate careful style of sumo against Ama)

"He can get to be really obnoxious if you give him a space so I inteded to stay very close to him and went after his mawashi."

(On facing Kotomitsuki tomorrow)

"He has been blessed with a rather good luck up to now so I've got go over and must quash it."

"It's not like I look forward to the bout but more like I need to be on my guard. You want that good wind to blow on your way too."

Hakuho (9-1) losing to Kotomitsuki by uwate-dashinage, 8.7 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(His consecutive win streak coming to end at 25 and losing decisively to Kotomitsuki. Unable to speak for several minutes before regaining his composure)

"I let him get to Uwate first. That was the grave mistake. But I really don't get a sense that I lost the bout. I've been winning all my bouts for so long."

"I've nothing more to add about him. Personally I think I went out like always."

(Asked if he got too nervous hearing all the cheers for Kotomitsuki during the shikiri)

"Well that's only natural. After all he is from Aichi Prefecture. But I admit I may have been more tense than usual. But now I can't do anything about it so why dwell on it. "

(On his first loss as yokozuna)

"It is really different. Like one loss has so much weight on it. Up to now zabuton (cushons) flew when I won."

Kotomitsuki (10-0) over Hakuho

------------------------------------

"I was going with everything I had. This is unbelievable. I am so happy."

"This morning in training sessions I kept thinking I could not afford to let him get his left as then I wouldn't be able to do anything against him. So that's all I tried to do, not letting him get the left."

(On the clappings he was receiving from the spectators at his home basho of Nagoya)

"I tell you I was getting so tense that my head was going totally blank."

"Nothing is decided yet. But right now I feel I am really doing well so...tomorrow, but you know who my opponent (Asashoryu) is...."

Kokonoe oyakata, chief dohyo judge

------------------------------------------

(On Kotomitsuki, two more wins away from reaching the 12, known to be the minimum standard line for promotion)

"By winning each bout now, he will ever get closer to the magic number."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

-------------------------------------------------

(On Kotomitsuki)

"This one was huge. Now if he can start seeing the yusho on horizon, then we will be talking about his ozeki promotion."

Sadogatake oyakata, Kotomitsuki's shisho

--------------------------------------------------

(Remembering a time when he congratulated Kotomitsuki for ozeki promotion at a Senshuraku party without hearing the outcome of the Judges decision not to go ahead with the promotion and teary Kotomitsuki telling him there was no Directors meeting assembled to discuss his promotion)

"I guess finally I can start preparing for the messengers arriving at the heya."

Yusho Race Board

----------------------

Makuuchi

0 loss - Kotomitsuki

1 loss - Hakuho, Asashoryu, Homasho

Juryo

1 loss - Kyokutenho

Records:

Kaio - 1129th Makuuchi appearance (7th in all time list passing Tsurugamine)

Tosanoumi - 600th career win

Kasugao - 600th career appearance

is there something wrong with kotooshu and chiotaikai in the comments?

"I find some oppoenents much easier to deal with." does he mean kotooshu? i wonder, coz i do believe kotooshu deserved to win that bout.

Edited by stunny

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

-------------------------------------------------

(On Kotomitsuki)

"This one was huge. Now if he can start seeing the yusho on horizon, then we will be talking about his ozeki promotion."

Bloody hell!

What a great bout from the oozeki candidate, let's up the requirements somewhat, hmm?

is there something wrong with kotooshu and chiotaikai in the comments?

"I find some oppoenents much easier to deal with." does he mean kotooshu? i wonder, coz i do believe kotooshu deserved to win that bout.

Should be Kotoshogiku instead of Kotooshu

Thanks for the correction.

Indeed Chiyotaikai meant Kotoshogiku.

And while I am at it, yesterday I wrote that the Kyokai was considering cancelling a Jyugyo tour in Niigata next month as a result of the major earthquake hitting the area again.

The name of the city I wrote as Kamikoshi but it is actually Joetsu City. Sorry for the confusion.