Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 8 Nagoya basho 2007

Toyohibiki (5-3) losing to Tochinonada by tsukiotoshi, 4.6 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had a good tachiai but it was all bad after that. I did know I'd lose if I stopped moving."

" What's more important is what lies ahead."

Ryuo (2-6) losing to Tokitsuumi by yoritaoshi, 7.2 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Suffering his sixth loss and now on a five bout losing streak)

"I haven't able to move forward at all. I think I will go out drinking tonight. I feel like I just haven't had enough drinks."

Kisenosato (6-2) over Dejima by tsukiotoshi, 2.5 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I let my opponent control the pace but a win is a win. As long as it leads into tomorrow. The good thing is I can keep my concentration up throughout. But you can never let youself take it easy you know."

Homasho (7-1) over Kotoshogiku by yoritaoshi, 5.3 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"In my mind, I am always trying to move forward. Today my body responded automatically for me. I can gain more self-confidence after a a bout like this "

"Well, it's all about one bout at a time."

Takekaze (2-6) over Tokitenku by hikiotoshi, 3.8 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(From his heya's base camp located in nearby Toyohashi City, forced to take a commuter train today to arrive in the arena due to a typhoon)

"One hour commute is really tough. You will get exhausted just coming over here."

Wakanosato (2-6) over Aminishiki by yorikiri, 13.0 seconds

(Easily overwhleming Aminishiki whom he has never lost in the past eight encouters)

"I think I've been just lucky. He is a skilled technician so not exactly an easy opponent to face against. I will do my best till the Senshuraku."

Kaio (6-2) losing to Kotomitsuki by yoritaoshi, 4.1 seconds

"I had a pretty bad tachiai. Whenever I lose to him, I usually end up that way."

Tomozuna oyakata, Kaio's shisho

----------------------------------------

"Once Kotomitsuki starts moving around, Kaio really cannot catch up to him and respond accordingly."

Kotomitsuki (8-0) over Kaio

--------------------------------

(Not getting astrayed by Kaio's matta)

"Usually I'd start wondering what he might do next but today I was really able to go out hard and hit him hard even the second time around."

"I aimed to finish off with a sharp execution."

(So far so good and appears to be satisfied with his performance up to now)

"My sumo has been sound and stable. I am not sure if I can do anymore than what I have done..."

(On receiving huge cheers and rhythmic clappings from spectators)

"I appreciate the cheers and callings of my name as they help me get more psyched. But the clappings. You known that gets right to my heart so if it's all possible I want them to stop."

(Now facing ozeki and yokozuna)

"I cannot afford to lose my concentration. As you all know I haven't set my goal to be just Kachikoshi this basho."

"Every bout will become really crucial from now on. But I also don't want to get myself too intense and go simply spinning my wheels. I want to go with sumo I will have no regret."

Sadogatake oayakta, Kotomitsuki's shisho

-------------------------------------------------

"If there is only one challenge remaining for him, it's wavering at tachiai. But otherwise he is showing really good composure and good face."

Tatsuo Iwase, director of Kotomitsuki Supporters Club from Okazaki City

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are already preparing for the (ozeki promotion) party. He will no doubt do it this time. We already have 1500 people committed to the party."

Oguruma oyakata (former ozeki Kotokaze, a former Sadogatake beya rikishi)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Seeing Kotomitsuki losing his ozeki promotion aft the 2002 Hatsu basho after winning 9 straight from day 1)

"From now on, it's all battle with himself. I want him to go out and down yokozuna decisively as if to tell the whole world what else you want from me."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

--------------------------------------------------

(On Kotomitsuki)

"He is going after his opponent hard and he is showing us a wonderful sumo. He is displaying a sumo that won't end in just 10 or 11 wins."

(About the promotion)

"Well that depends on how he does from now. And how he keeps accumulating wins."

(The magic number?)

"If he can reach 12, I suspect there will be some discussion."

Chiyotaikai (4-4) over Kotooshu by tsukiotoshi, 3.8 seconds

(Winning a close mono-ii call)

"I am all over the place and so inconsistent. "

"I am done for this basho, I feel I have no chance whatsoever."

"The opponent is a yotsu sumo rikishi and he hits me first. I can't get myself into a good groove. Today I won the bout but lost sumo."

(Getting his record back to .500)

"I suppose I should be really happy that I won the bout. They are having a party for me to celebrate my 51st ozeki basho so I certainly don't want to go there with a Kadoban hanging over my head. I want to win 8. That's all I am asking now."

Takamisakari (1-7) losing to Asashoryu by tsuritaoshi, 6.3 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Unable to do much against Asashoryu)

"Absolutely there was nothing good about today. What it comes down to it is this, another miserable loss."

"I've lost my strength and skill but I still have my intensity."

Asashoryu (7-1) over Takamisakari

------------------------------------------

(Finally displaying the brand of sumo style only he can execute)

"I could see my opponent really getting psyched up so how could I afford to go with less intensity and lose to him."

"It's been a while I've seen that face. I felt I had to return with the same intensity and show it with my sumo. Actually it's great to go against him as he helps you really get motivated. Sumo is all about intensity, you know."

(On hearing the Crown Prince family is visiting Mongolia and told their little daughter Aiko is an Asashoryu fan)

"I am really happy to hear that. I sure would like to do all my best for Japan and Mongolia."

---------------------------------------------------

(On Takamisakari-Asashoryu bout)

"If I were going against a yokozuna, I would never attempt the gesture (Takamisakari's performance) like that against the yokozuna. It's really insulting to the yokozuna. If I were the yokozuna, indeed I would have been really angry."

Toyonoshima (2-6) losing to Hakuho by hatakikomi, 5.2 seconds

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For a second the yokozuna's body floated. I should have gone from his side...It was such a big chance I couldn't believe it myself but I couldn't follow it up.."

Hakuho (8-0) over Toyonoshima

----------------------------------------

(Coming out late at tachiai and losing balacne after Toyonoshima's push)

"It was close. But I was confident that I could stay in. My opponent was small so I figured he would take his time but he came out so suddenly. It wasn't exactly a perfect sumo today. But you know you can't be perfect all the time."

(Told that he has not shown his favorite uwate sumo yet)

"Well I am trying to bring myself that way but before I get to it, my opponent stumbles and falls down."

(On eight straight wins)

"I prepared myself to get the straight Kachikoshi but obviously I cannot take it easy yet."

(Fourth yokozuna to win eight straight to start their first yokozuna basho. The others were Tamanoumi, Takanosato and Asahifuji, all Shiranui-style dohyo-iri yokozuna)

"Is that right? I am in a good company then. Sounds like a good fortune"

(It was announced today that during this year's fall jyungyo, Hakuho will perform a ceremonial yokozuna dohyo-iri at historic Imabari Castle located in Ehime Prefecture. The castle was originally built in 1604 and is situated in Fukiage Park, Imabari City.)

Kumagatani oyakata, Hakuho's heya oyakata

-------------------------------------------------------

"When he got promoted to yokozuna, I told him, it's granted a yokozuna should be strong but he also should be respected as a human being."

(Hearing yokozuna Yoshibayama had a good friendship with former prime minister Fukuda, Hakuho is more keen to learn about every day life by watchin TV news and reading newspapers. He can read hiragana and simple kanji and whenever he does not understand something, he is seen asking about it from others. He is especially interested now in the Crown Prince's visit in Mongolia and a national election coming up at the end of this month).

Yusho Race

--------------

Makuuchi:

No loss - Hakuho, Kotomitsuki

One loss - Asashoryu, Homasho

Juryo:

One loss - Kyokutenho

+++++++++++

Juryo West 10 Sakaizawa, 24, of Onoe beya withdrew from Nagoya basho on day 8 after injuring his left elbow on day 7. The injury was diagnosed as bruised elbow ligaments and possible fracture requiring six weeks of rest and treatment.

This is Sakaizawa's first kyujyo. His opponent on day 8, Chiyohakuho received a fusen win.

+++++++++++

Juryo East 7 Tamarikido, 33, of Kataonami who went on kyujo on day 6 will return from day 9.

+++++++++++

There will be five returnees to Jonokuchi from Banzuke-gai next basho. There was no new recruit this basho but five Banzuke-gai rikishi competed in Mae-zumo this basho.

+++++++++++++

The Kyokai officially announced that they would be holding an overseas Jyungyo in Los Angeles next summer. This is the first time an Jyungyo is held in L.A. since 1981. They had a successfuly jyungyo in Las Vegas last year. The dates have not been set yet but the jyungyo will be likely held in June.

"There are many Japanese American people living in and near Los Angeles. We would like them to experience the traditional Ozumo live."

++++++++++++++

They also announced that at the next regular meeting of Rikishi-kai (Association of Sekitori) on August 28, the Kyokai would hold a special clinic to explain the kyokai's new anti-doping policy.

+++++++++++++++

On July 15 around 5:45 PM, a 19 year old man driving his car in front of the Ozumo venue could not make a right turn in front of the Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium and drove into a taxi stand hitting a tax waiting for a rider. The car then drove over to a sidewalk and hit a bicycle.

According to police two people who were standing near the bicycle suffered minor injuries

The accident site was right in front of subway enterance where many spectators from the Gymnasium normally head to after the basho and it's believed that it could have been a major catastrophe if it happened 15 minutes later when Ozumo finished for the day and thousands of spectators were coming out of the arena.

Edited by Jonosuke

Kotomitsuki (8-0) over Kaio

--------------------------------

(Not getting astrayed by Kaio's matta)

"Usually I'd start wondering what he might do next but today I was really able to go out hard and hit him hard even the second time around."

Pardon? It was Mickey doing the matta!

By the way, has Kaio done any matta recently?

"If I were going against a yokozuna, I would never attempt the gesture (Takamisakari's performance) like that against the yokozuna. It's really insulting to the yokozuna. If I were the yokozuna, indeed I would have been really angry."

Now that's interesting! First time I remember hearing any scorn from the bigwigs about Sakke's antics.

Now that's interesting! First time I remember hearing any scorn from the bigwigs about Sakke's antics.

Comes with the territory of being back in the joi-jin spotlight, probably.

Kaio was the one delaying unreasonably long.

Kaio the new Takanonami? Possibly. ;-)

--------------------------------------------------

(The magic number?)

"If he [the next Kotozakura :-)] can reach 12, I suspect there will be some discussion."

Well... I hope with 12 wins there will be no discussion necessary. A discussion should take place only after an 11-4, considering the quality of Mickey's sumo. :-D

Edited by Odoriou

This sounds like Yokozuna Kitanoumi talking as opposed to Kitanoumi Rijicho. In the 70's and early 80's, Kitanoumi defined (to me) what a yokozuna should be. On the dohyo, he was the king... Occasionally lower ranked rikishi would attempt to stare him down or other such "psych-out" attempts. In those matches, it seemed Kita took special effort to remind everyone that HE was the Yokozuna. :-D