Sign in to follow this  
nirumaruyama

Kotooshu Henka

What is the problem with Kotooshu? I know it must be mental, but what is he afraid of? He nearly jumped out of the ring trying to avoid Wakanosato, a man with no wins in 5 bouts. His henka was so big I think he surprised himself and couldn't pull himself back together. Wakanosato had a reasonably easy time of throwing Kotooshu out. Highly unsatisfactory stuff from the ozeki.

What is the problem with Kotooshu? I know it must be mental, but what is he afraid of? He nearly jumped out of the ring trying to avoid Wakanosato, a man with no wins in 5 bouts. His henka was so big I think he surprised himself and couldn't pull himself back together. Wakanosato had a reasonably easy time of throwing Kotooshu out. Highly unsatisfactory stuff from the ozeki.

(Dohyo-iri...) Oops, he did it again...but Wakanosato was clever enough, to win this bout. (Dohyo-iri...)

Highly unsatisfactory stuff from the ozeki.

he has made me really angry with his henka today. He doesn't need such movements at all.

I wonder when he will show ozeki sumo during a basho

(In a state of confusion...)

I wonder when he will show ozeki sumo during a basho

Next Basho after demotion. (In jonokuchi...)

Indeed, it was a miserable defeat. Kotooshu is a bundle of nerves.

He doesn't need such movements at all.

How would you know this?

have there been any henkaless basho lately?

i guess he desperately wants to win and his only chance to do so, is to pull some henka

pretty gutless sumo from a guy who of late it seems is destined for the Takanonami, Dejima, Miyabiyama pile of demoted Ozeki of modern times. I cringed watching that. I hope ex-shisho Kotozakura smacks him across the back of the head with shinai the next time they meet.

pretty gutless sumo from a guy who of late it seems is destined for the Takanonami, Dejima, Miyabiyama pile of demoted Ozeki of modern times....

...yet he still needs his second career make koshi before demotion could be an option.

Kotooshu often gets his advantages with moving aside and reaching for the belt. Nothing unusual about that. It just didn't work this time and Waka reacted well. Why is it so pathetic when he loses as he uses similar tactics well in many of his winning bouts? I am sure he would go all out in every bout straight on if he would succeed better in that way.

pretty gutless sumo from a guy who of late it seems is destined for the Takanonami, Dejima, Miyabiyama pile of demoted Ozeki of modern times....

...yet he still needs his second career make koshi before demotion could be an option.

But the writing is surely on the wall...the joi-jin has steadily improved and been de-veteran'ed since the dog days of ~2005 and continues to do so, and one of these days the hammer will be coming down on Osh and he'll score a big fat make-koshi. Now, whether it'll happen twice in a row and he goes back to Sekiwake, that I'm not so sure about.

BTW, comparing him to Takanonami is an insult to Nami...he may not have been a superstar, but he was a very solid ozeki for several years. Yes, aided by the heya factor, but it's not like he could have done anything about that. If there's a need to compare him to a not-all-that-good recent ozeki whose career quickly descended into "just keep hanging onto the rank by any means necessary", pick Musoyama...of course, that guy was already five years older when he was promoted, so even that comparison isn't too favorable for Osh.

Yes, aided by the heya factor, ...

Which accounts for Osh as well these days...

Why is it so pathetic when he loses as he uses similar tactics well in many of his winning bouts?

i know that you forgot more about kimarite i ever knew, but in this bout i think you are wrong....

strange concept to step aside and try to get the mawashi on the back of wakanosato's head....

i know the yoghurt's habbit of getting the mawashi by sliding to one side, but his tachiai (or the lack of it) was purely intended to win quickly by letting the opponent hit the floor after stepping aside

This is not a good behaviour for an Ozeki ! He should be ashamed ! But he lost, THAT will teach him a good lesson ! (In jonokuchi...) He really disappoints me.... I thought he would be a brillant Ozeki. But.... no. (In a state of confusion...)

All the planning and practice were for naught. Osh spent yesterday's asageiko working on moves against Mickey and Shogun, who were pretending to be Osh's aite ju jour, Wakanosato. They worked on the tachiai and how to best attack the former sanyaku stalwart. In the dressing room prior to the bout, Osh kept practicing uwate grasps with his tsukebito.

Osh was 1-4 against Waka, but they had not faced each other for a while. This basho, the former sekiwake was winless while Osh was on a mini-roll with four straight victories after his shonichi defeat. He seemed quite ready for this confrontation.

Things didn't turn out as planned. At tachiai, Osh shifted to the left. Waka didn't fall for the move and the rest was downhill for the ozeki.

"I don't even know myself why I did that," he reflected later on his henka. He had pulled the same ill-advised stunt on shonichi and lost to Dejima. At that time,he was admonished by Sadogatake Oyakata (former Kotonowaka), "Stop doing such [wimpy] sumo."

He seemed to have heeded his shisho's advice by winning four in a row. "I wasn't myself on shonichi," said Osh the day before. But on Day 6, he was at it again.

"I just don't know," he said dejectedly. Well, get a clue!

"I don't even know myself why I did that," he reflected later on his henka. He had pulled the same ill-advised stunt on shonichi and lost to Dejima. At that time,he was admonished by Sadogatake Oyakata (former Kotonowaka), "Stop doing such [wimpy] sumo."

you see, it has became his instinct move. (In a state of confusion...)

"Stop doing such [wimpy] sumo."

amen brother! Kotooshu the wimpy Ozeki - as much of an oxymoron that is.

I don't think he's a wimpy ozeki at all. He has the power to beat anyone, including the two Yokozuna. A nervous ozeki - that he is.

Two losses after two henkas must have taught him something - to simply forget about being original in the start of the bout and stop being afraid of what the other guy might do.

Is it coincidence that Sadogatake has two "soft-hearted" rikishi in Kotooshu and Kotomitsuki or is that something the former shisho looked for or possibly promoted?

Mickey has let nerves cost him promotion before yet has managed to hold strong so far this basho. That said, he is almost always very strong in week one. Can he survive week two?

As for Kotooshu, he has the physical ability to do great things, but lacks the skill and killer instincts of Asashoryu and the patience of Hakuho. Will he ever get it together? With the demonstrated strength of the current Yokozunae, I think his odds are long to make a run at Yokozuna, let alone a consistent run at yushos. Pity...

I am Bulgarian, and of course, i am Kotooshu supporter. Yet, i am ashamed and mad of that waste of strenght and power. Maybe Ama needs henka. Maybe Hakurozan too. But why Kotooshu? I do believe he can beat all the guys there with no exclusions. Yet he acts like skirty schoolgirl. Maybe he needs good psychologyst. Or someone to piss him off...

Stopped posting for a while, just to watch him today against asasekiryu. Man! That was it !! Just do it always, every day...

(Sign of approval...)

wow, he started a trend. few henkas today, and then tons of slap downs and slap down tries all over the place, 6 were successful by hikiotoshi or hatakikomi, including 3 identical hikiotoshis in a row at one point. Id like to see sumo go back to the standing up tachiai, which would greatly lessen this kind of thing.

Did anyone else enjoy watching Takekaze's henka win against Chiyotaikai today?

Did anyone else enjoy watching Takekaze's henka win against Chiyotaikai today?

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

In any case, that was just about the worst sumo one could possibly see at a honbasho. In other words, it simply was NOT sumo.

BTW, comparing him to Takanonami is an insult to Nami...he may not have been a superstar, but he was a very solid ozeki for several years. Yes, aided by the heya factor, but it's not like he could have done anything about that. If there's a need to compare him to a not-all-that-good recent ozeki whose career quickly descended into "just keep hanging onto the rank by any means necessary", pick Musoyama...of course, that guy was already five years older when he was promoted, so even that comparison isn't too favorable for Osh.

Asashosakari, I think you are being a bit too hard on Musoyama. (This is going back quite a few posts, but I didn't see anyone coming to Muso's rescue, so I thought I'd jump in.)

I'm not a huge Musoyama fan either, but please don't compare him to this loser, Oshu. Musoyama was not a great ozeki, by any means, but he (almost?) never felt the need to resort to henka. Certainly not when he was healthy.

Later, he would suffer from one injury after another. Despite the benefits of the kosho system, it became clear he would never be able to compete at the level (or with the strength, skill, etc, etc, etc) of someone like Kaio. But that certainly doesn't put him in the same category with a half-ass like Oshu.

I'm not a huge Musoyama fan either, but please don't compare him to this loser, Oshu. Musoyama was not a great ozeki, by any means, but he (almost?) never felt the need to resort to henka. Certainly not when he was healthy.

Later, he would suffer from one injury after another. Despite the benefits of the kosho system, it became clear he would never be able to compete at the level (or with the strength, skill, etc, etc, etc) of someone like Kaio. But that certainly doesn't put him in the same category with a half-ass like Oshu.

Yes, re-reading my post, the addition of "by any means necessary" was probably a bit harsh. My train of thought started out with both being ever-beloved kun-roku ozeki types, and I generalized a bit too much from outcomes to means. The last two years or so of Musoyama's career weren't very pretty (and he'll always have the "was a large impetus for kosho being abolished" thing hanging over his head), but he at least did have advancing age and mounting injury woes to account for everything.

So, now that I've defended Takanonami and you've defended Musoyama, we just need somebody to defend Kotooshu to bring everything full-circle. ;-) Or maybe we can prolong things a bit...hey, that Kotooshu guy stinks as an Ozeki like Miyabiyama did! There, that might do it. :-P

Edited by Asashosakari

I don't think he's a wimpy ozeki at all. He has the power to beat anyone, including the two Yokozuna. A nervous ozeki - that he is.

Two losses after two henkas must have taught him something - to simply forget about being original in the start of the bout and stop being afraid of what the other guy might do.

Surely his nerves should be settled by now?

Being an ozeki is not just about talent; it's about will and demeanor. Kotooshu played his hit-off-center-at-the-tachi-ai-and-grab-the-migi-uate-and-use-his-leverage-to-move-the-opponent game very effectively to get to ozeki. I've never been a fan, but I cheered for him then because it was good sumo. Why can't he do that now? Nerves? Even though he's already demonstrated he can handle a fair amount of pressure (remember how close he came to the yusho)?

Maybe he needs a new goal, something to work for. Maybe his opponents got wise to his game and he needs to come up with a new one. Maybe he's content just coasting along. I don't know. But however you slice it, it's a disappointing waste of talent.