Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Back after a 29 year hiatus

My father was stationed in Japan from 75-78 (I was 7 in 78) and immediately fell in love with sumo. Went to see 3 or 4 basho in those 3 years. Had a subscription to Sumo World and memorized every issue. (I know that SW has since gone away after the departure of Andy Adams). I maintained my subscription to SW until 1986 when I joined the military. Since then my exposure to sumo material has been very rare. An occasional glimpse on ESPN or Eurosport was like a birthday present. I have tried for over 20 years to get back to Japan and when I was ready to retire, I got orders to Japan. I arrived in Japan on May 27 and by the time I got to the base at 10:00 p.m., I found out I missed the final day of the May basho. I've surfed most of the english websites in the last month and waited until today to join after watching Day 1 at Nagoya. All I can say is it's good to be back and look forward to the next 4 years of sumo. Sorry to ramble, just mucho excited about sumo. The wierdest part so far is seeing all the rikishi I remember (Kitanoumi, Chiyonofuji, etc...) with no mage. (Wearing a paperbag...)

Wash

My father was stationed in Japan from 75-78 (I was 7 in 78) and immediately fell in love with sumo. Went to see 3 or 4 basho in those 3 years. Had a subscription to Sumo World and memorized every issue. (I know that SW has since gone away after the departure of Andy Adams). I maintained my subscription to SW until 1986 when I joined the military. Since then my exposure to sumo material has been very rare. An occasional glimpse on ESPN or Eurosport was like a birthday present. I have tried for over 20 years to get back to Japan and when I was ready to retire, I got orders to Japan. I arrived in Japan on May 27 and by the time I got to the base at 10:00 p.m., I found out I missed the final day of the May basho. I've surfed most of the english websites in the last month and waited until today to join after watching Day 1 at Nagoya. All I can say is it's good to be back and look forward to the next 4 years of sumo. Sorry to ramble, just mucho excited about sumo. The wierdest part so far is seeing all the rikishi I remember (Kitanoumi, Chiyonofuji, etc...) with no mage. (Holiday feeling...)

Wash

Welcome abooard Washuyama (Hugging...)

Chuck in your salt (Big fish...) and join the fray....

Enjoy the basho and the forum.

There are only a few of us here who know the joy of watching Washuyama in action, Wajima and Takanohana in a monumental struggle or Jesse being the victim of another henka. Welcome to the new world of sumo.

There are only a few of us here who know the joy of watching Washuyama in action, Wajima and Takanohana in a monumental struggle or Jesse being the victim of another henka. Welcome to the new world of sumo.

I agree... My favorite matchup was Kirinji-Fujizakura. That was a tsuppari-fest if there ever was one.

I appreciate the welcome and look forward to fcontributing in some small way. Still trying to "pick" new favorites. I'm leaning toward some of the young guys from Tomozuna-Beya due to their nice english website. Surprised Azumazeki doesn't have an English version considering who the stable master is. (Sign of approval...)

No one has mentioned this before but there is a convention about not using shikona of rikishi as a name on the forum.

Can't remember if there was any info 'bout this when I joined, but if there isn't then it's about time the admins added that piece of info to the registration form IMO. It's pretty common on other boards, after all. I've seen this come up before, and it only makes the newbies embarrassed - should be easy to avoid. (As a n00b who doesn't speak Japanese it's pretty hard to come up with a decent nick.)

Welcome to the board, Washu!

~K,

another n00b

No one has mentioned this before but there is a convention about not using shikona of rikishi as a name on the forum.

Can't remember if there was any info 'bout this when I joined, but if there isn't then it's about time the admins added that piece of info to the registration form IMO.

FWIW, my (highly gut-based, for a change) feeling is that shikona of long-retired rikishi below the rank of Ozeki ought to be fair game. Basically, names that don't qualify as "extremely famous" and/or are unlikely to be referred to in conversation very often. (E.g., I wouldn't be too thrilled with a user named "Terao" because the guy known under that name is still talked about quite regularly, even if he's named something else now.) On that note, welcome to the forum, Washuyama. (Dohyo-iri...)

Edited by Asashosakari

Look who's talking! (Dohyo-iri...)

I understand the issue of not using an active or highly popular shikona (Taiho, Takanohana, Hakuho, et.al.) but I chose this one for a couple reasons: First, Washuyama was one of the smaller rikishi of his day and I am vertically challenged as well. Second, and primararily, hoping people that remember him would initate conversation and we could talk "old school" sumo.

All off-topic posts have been moved here. Any more off-topic stuff will be axed.

Edited by Otokonoyama
Introductions is not for trash-talk