Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

4 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

But I'm not sure if this would even be conceived as a positive change from the users of Sumo Reference

I know one forum user who would be very happy about it.... (Laughing...) (not me) 

While we have your attention, could I rather shamelessly check what the second column on the simple style torikumi list is for? 

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/12746-sumo-reference-updates/?do=findComment&comment=471100

On 19/07/2022 at 00:25, Seiyashi said:

While we have your attention, could I rather shamelessly check what the second column on the simple style torikumi list is for? 

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/12746-sumo-reference-updates/?do=findComment&comment=471100

What second column? (Whistling...)

(It indeed used to be an order column over all bouts of the day, but it is bugged with the automated grabbing and I'm never using it anyway, so I removed it now)

• Haha 1

@Doitsuyama Is there any chance that the Japanese-language shikona could appear on the Rikishi / Kabu pages?  It's the one thing on the Japanese SR site that I find myself flipping into the Japanese version to look up not-infrequently.  

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 14:17, Doitsuyama said:

It indeed used to be an order column over all bouts of the day, but it is bugged with the automated grabbing and I'm never using it anyway, so I removed it now

I'd just like you to know that I have to change my script that took the results off the database and compiled them into the form that I wanted to store them in, because it assumed that the format the results would be displayed in was static.  I don't think it's a huge problem to change it, but it had me scratching my head about what was wrong when it complained that there wasn't a hyperlink in the specified cell, and after digging through all the variables it was clear that the math to find the hyperlinked rikishi name was clearly off (getting the hyperlink is necessary to extract the rikishi ID, since I can't rely on names being unique).  Then I remembered the quoted change happening.  It's been so long since I wrote these scripts I hope I can figure out how they work and change them as appropriate. 

It just goes to show how the smallest change in anything computer related can totally throw off someone else's workflow that relied on things being very specifically formatted.  See https://xkcd.com/1172/

edit: Fixing only the hyperlink error ended up with entirely the wrong data being saved, so this is going to be a non-trivial problem.  Why would I ever write code with copious comments so that someone else would be able to understand it?  Future me cries.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Haha 1

It wasn't too hard to fix once I started stepping through the routine in debug mode to see what it was doing.  But I never thought I would need to change anything.

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Sounds like a column index error?

Yeah, I just had to find all the places where I was referencing columns, and change them appropriately.