Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

52 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I for one will confess to not having the necessary know how and privileges to assist in maintaining the DB, but if there's anything we can do to help (like, idk, donating towards server costs or something) do let us know. 

Some patience would help.  It is seldom down for more that 10 minutes.  I assume that it is for auto updates or minor maintenance.  

Posted (edited)

If one wishes to consult the DB simply for that day's/next day's bout info, the NSK's own page will do in a pinch. You do lose easy access to particular historical data, which might be a pain for sumo games, but there are workarounds if time is of the essence.

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)

I would really like a button to see all of the stables and see which wrestlers are in them.

Edited by rzombie1988

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

I would really like a button to see all of the stables and see which wrestlers are in them.

Here is one, and Here is another.  In the DB, you can do this.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Asojima said:

In the DB, you can do this.

Or more easily, go to "Banzuke" and select the Heya in the drop-box on the left side, like this.

6 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

Heya A-Z

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

According to the Kyokai site, Tanji's new Shikona in full is Taiga Koji. 大賀 孝治.  Cheers.

Edited by Kotomaru
  • Thanks 1

Makimoto is shown with his given name as "Eisuke" throughout his whole career, but according to the Japanese Wikipedia his full shikona from January 1963 to January 1969 was 轟 亘, Todoroki Wataru (?),  which is interesting as it's only two kanji in total (stumbled across this while reading about Sakigake, the only other sekitori since the Showa era to have only two kanji). 

• Thanks 1

Hello, I'm new to the forum and sorry if this isn't the right place for this but I think it was best to use existing thread instead of make a new one.

SumoDB is such a good website for sumo statistics but it is SO unreliable. I have not been able to look at this website in 2 maybe 3 days now, always down.

Why is the server so bad? I know it cost money to run a website but maybe the person who runs it could have a Patreon or accept donations towards running? I would pay! I use the site all the time and I know other people who say they would be willing to donate a small amount each month to help buy a good server.

Please consider, the website is so great but the server is not good enough and the site is close to 50% down, 50% up. Surely something can be done.

Thank you for your hard work!

• Like 8

20 hours ago, ConcernedCrate said:

Why is the server so bad? I know it cost money to run a website but maybe the person who runs it could have a Patreon or accept donations towards running? I would pay! I use the site all the time and I know other people who say they would be willing to donate a small amount each month to help buy a good server.

If it means having the website always up, I would also gladly contribute :-)

• Like 4

On 12/04/2022 at 15:45, ConcernedCrate said:

Include me in. I've been checking the db for about 5 years and it seems worse than ever (in terms of down time) at the moment.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2022 at 15:45, ConcernedCrate said:

I'd be willing to donate too. I know 4 guys on a forum saying they'd be willing to donate isn't really something you can take to the bank but there's a lot of goodwill for the site and the current uptime is truly awful. If you're paying some company for hosting already, you're being ripped off, though I get the impression that's not the case.

Although I'm not really sure what the issue is (bandwidth? some technical thing? something else?), so it'd be nice to know why it's so unreliable, especially lately. If there's some technical reason or something. I don't really know much of anything about the running of the site so having a clearer picture might help, but at the end of the day I (and many, many others) just want to see the site have the reliability it deserves, because it's a truly outstanding project.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Hidenotora said:

but at the end of the day I (and many, many others) just want to see the site have the reliability it deserves, because it's a truly outstanding project.

Hear, hear!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

I'd be willing to donate too. I know 4 guys on a forum saying they'd be willing to donate isn't really something you can take to the bank but there's a lot of goodwill for the site and the current uptime is truly awful. If you're paying some company for hosting already, you're being ripped off, though I get the impression that's not the case.

Although I'm not really sure what the issue is (bandwidth? some technical thing? something else?), so it'd be nice to know why it's so unreliable, especially lately. If there's some technical reason or something. I don't really know much of anything about the running of the site so having a clearer picture might help, but at the end of the day I (and many, many others) just want to see the site have the reliability it deserves, because it's a truly outstanding project.

I'll add my name to that, and would also note it's been something discussed quite a few times in the comments section at Tachiai (including by folks who have an engineering background and have volunteered to help find a reliable and affordable solution) and across sumo Twitter as well, so I think the desire from the community to contribute is perhaps greater than some folks might assume.

I would also add especially in response to some earlier comments on this thread, that feeling that the server situation and uptime can be improved does not in any way mean that the same people suggesting that in the community are not thankful or appreciative of the incredible amount of work that goes into maintaining such a remarkable resource. I think it just means that if there are resources that we can add to help make it even better, even if that just comes in the form of a Patreon or similar, then we'd be hopeful that this would be welcomed so that we can reliably continue to use the site and improve our collective understanding of sumo.

• Like 10

Willing to donate as well to an AWS/Azure instance or other professional hosting system. 

• Like 1

Count me in as well. I use it almost every day for work and it's worse than ever. I keep a back up loaded up in the WayBack Machine, because it's 50/50 that it's ever available. Surely there's a better place/way to host it, that we can donate towards if need be.

• Like 2

I'm willing to pledge $5 a month to help out. I think the wall that we're running into here though is nobody seems to know how to contact whoever actually hosts the thing and have a discussion about it? I thought I heard @Doitsuyama was involved in updating it at least but I don't have any real information.

• Like 1

Ok, these last few days its been REAL bad, in 7 out of 8 times i tried to use it throughout the day, it was down, does anyone knows who runs it?

It's Doitsuyama's site, whether he is solely responsible for running and maintaining it day-to-day I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

With the ever-growing cases of being linked-to, this exquisite private project might have become too popular for its own good, getting bombarded and shut down by scavenger bots.

(...just an uneducated guess...)

The server is actually pretty good. I indeed suppose there are too many bots overloading the site, so I added IP rate limiting now with no more than 6 page visits in 10 seconds. If you get a 403 error now (access denied) it's because of this minor inconvenience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

I suppose now's a good time as any to ask, but other than the standard 1 bot/page/s (probably should revise that down to 0.5s now) scraping courtesy, have you got any other preferences for how scrapers should interface with the DB? I've toyed with one before (wasn't using it recently, though) to try and build a NN for GTB.

Edited by Seiyashi

4 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

The server is actually pretty good. I indeed suppose there are too many bots overloading the site, so I added IP rate limiting now with no more than 6 page visits in 10 seconds. If you get a 403 error now (access denied) it's because of this minor inconvenience.

The server might have been good, but the site clearly was not.  Hopefully this solves the ongoing uptime problem. 

6 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

So it was bots causing this issue? If so, wonder what changed in the last week to make them suddenly go into overdrive? The site is often down, but this was beyond the usual troubles. If bots are indexing/crawling the site, hopefully they do something useful with the info they grabbed!
And if the server is pretty good, sending so many requests that it causes a site to go down is essentially a denial of service attack. If people are really abusing the db to that extent they need to be blocked from accessing it. Seems to hard to imagine just one bot could cause the site to go down if the server is good though, but you'll know better than us. 6 pages in 10 seconds is fair for human users for now I think.

Hopefully this solves things going forward, but don't forget the support the site has here (and in other places too); people would be willing to help pay for hosting if the site has become too big for it's own good.

• Like 2