Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

Later maegashira Wakanaruto has two really strange draws listed as part of his Aki and Kyushu 1958 records, which have no corresponding result for any possible opponents on these hoshitori. Are they actually supposed to be yasumi?

(Or are these two entries the sumo equivalent of a trap street?)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Later maegashira Wakanaruto has two really strange draws listed as part of his Aki and Kyushu 1958 records, which have no corresponding result for any possible opponents on these hoshitori. Are they actually supposed to be yasumi?

Thanks for the interesting reference to trap streets.

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2021 at 20:02, Yubinhaad said:

Indeed, Kyokutaikai turns out to be Kyokutaiga (きょくたいが) after all. (I don't know if that will affect the database's torikumi grabbing so heads-up to @Doitsuyama just in case)

The reading of Amanoazuma's shikona was also quietly corrected a few days ago, it was originally あまのあづま (a rare and in this case incorrect reading of azuma), now it is あまのあずま, the usual reading.

In addition to those, a few more minor kana mistakes have been spotted:

A mix-up has caused Kato and Katozakura to both have the latter's shikona reading on the Japanese side.

Kanno - currently かんお (Kan'o), should be かんの.

Tsunekawa - currently つねわか (Tsunewaka), should be つねかわ.

(Heh, it does seem rather funny to be reporting such minutiae when all hell's breaking loose elsewhere)

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/05/2021 at 06:15, Asashosakari said:

If this is a trap street, than I am the one who got trapped. :-D These records are taken from other sources of course. At least the promotion from 195811 to 195901 indicates a draw though as Wakanaruto overtook another rikishi at 4-4 ahead of him. Something seems to be missing, but I better keep it as it is now until some better source can clear this.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:

If this is a trap street, than I am the one who got trapped. :-D These records are taken from other sources of course. At least the promotion from 195811 to 195901 indicates a draw though as Wakanaruto overtook another rikishi at 4-4 ahead of him. Something seems to be missing, but I better keep it as it is now until some better source can clear this.

Thanks for the feedback. :-) FWIW, the only reason I suggested absences as a possibility is that they didn't treat them consistently equivalent to losses in those days, e.g. Aki->Kyushu 1958 also had this:

5-3 Tsukubasan Ms49w Ms60 Koshinokuni 3-5 Ms69e
4-4 Miyagatake Ms60e Ms61 Tominaga 5-3 Ms51w
3-5 Kiyonosato   Ms62 Maedagawa 5-3 Ms52e
6-2 Maenohana Ms50w Ms63 Tochinonada 3-5 Ms70e
3-5 Sadamisaki Ms71w Ms64 Miwa 3-2-3 Ms64e
2-6  Mimura Sd1e Ms65 Wakayoshiba 3-5 Ms72e

While I'm at it, I noticed something odd in the same banzuke:

4-4 Kitanomine Sd82w Sd87 Fujinosato 3-5 Sd98w
2-6  Seiko# Jd1w Sd88 Shimanoumi 4-4 Sd83e
5-3 Shironomine# Sd75e Sd89 Taranishiki 4-4 Sd84e
2-6  Wakachitose Jd2w Sd90 Akinomine 4-4 Sd99w
4-4 Tozuka Sd88e Sd91 Ryugatake 3-5 Sd100e
6-2 Miyanosato Sd71e Sd92 Fukuejima 3-5 Sd101e
6-2 Katsuranada Sd77w Sd93 Matsuura 2-6  Jd4w
7-1 Iwakiyama Sd63e Sd94 Maeda 3-5 Sd90w
3-5 Kaneko Sd103e Sd95 Fujinoumi 5-3 Sd79w

It looks like Maeda's record should be 4-4 and Akinomine's 3-5? Of course, probably impossible to say if that's an error in the data or an error in how the committee constructed the Kyushu banzuke.

Although there's more stuff which just defies explanation completely:

3-5 Matsukaze Jd35e Jd29 Hashimoto 3-5 Jd34w

6-2 Kurotaki Jd32w Jd65 Matsuwaka 3-5 Jd74e
6-2 Izumi Jd34e Jd66 Kotonoshio 3-5 Jd73w

0-0-8 Onigashima Jd106e Jd81 Ohara 3-5 Jd90e
3-5 Tagami Jd89w Jd82 Uminoiwa 5-3 Jd54e

and several more.

Ms41w Ohata is missing on the Nagoya 2021 Banzuke.

On 24/06/2021 at 19:02, Jakusotsu said:

Ms41w Ohata is missing on the Nagoya 2021 Banzuke.

Still missing - and it's had a knock-on effect to the basho now, the Day 1 Makushita torikumi stops where his bout would have been. All those ranked above him who fought on Day 1 are missing that bout and shown as 0-0-1.

The kimarite for Yutakayama-Shohozan wasn't picked up on Day 1. Should be yoritaoshi.

Posted (edited)

Ohata does not appear to exist in the database if you search by shikona.  The app says he has been in 40 basho, has a record of 139-128, and a shikona of Ohata Ku, which may be related to his real name, Ku Ohata.  We have other ways of finding him, though, which might help the maintainers:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12192

The difficulty may be that he was Obayama Ku until the end of the last basho, and has apparently returned to Ohata Ku since.  Not in the list of changed shikona on the bottom of the banzuke page.

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ohata is now in the banzuke page and the correct upper makushita torikumi have returned.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

EDIT:
I'm guessing this might have been caused by Kotoyuki's intai from that position in the banzuke?

Edited by Koorifuu

Posted (edited)

1 - The obayama/ohata problem is still going strong. (fixed)

2 - Many many rikishi in makushita have messed up hoshitori when viewing their pages (might have something to do with the other problem)

3 - Some makushita rikishi only have three days on their hoshitori, and are shown as 0-0-1 on the banzuke page. but when clicking on their result pages for the basho, their bouts are shown.

This honestly seems like more than the usual problems for a basho...

There are quite a few examples, i'm not sure i can list them at the moment, you may have to go through the current banzuke page to see them.

Edited by sahaven111
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

1 - The obayama/ohata problem is still going strong. (fixed)

2 - Many many rikishi in makushita have messed up hoshitori when viewing their pages (might have something to do with the other problem)

3 - Some makushita rikishi only have three days on their hoshitori, and are shown as 0-0-1 on the banzuke page. but when clicking on their result pages for the basho, their bouts are shown.

This honestly seems like more than the usual problems for a basho...

There are quite a few examples, i'm not sure i can list them at the moment, you may have to go through the current banzuke page to see them.

Here's an example of what i was talking about. Even on his rikishi page he is listed as 0-0-2 for this tournament.

sumo reference glitch.png

Posted (edited)

Although the Obayama thing has been fixed, i do believe this has something to do with it, as it only affects rikishi ranked above Ms41 that fought on days he fought.

Edited by sahaven111

Posted (edited)

Small nitpick: Masunoyama's yasumi in his Natsu intai tournament officially ended after day 13, per the official results. Record still 0-0-7 though.

Bigger nitpick: Kotoyuki's final record in Natsu should be 0-0 altogether. Likewise Asahisho and Toyohibiki in the current Nagoya basho.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

The makushita hoshitori should be fixed now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Takarafuji should have 4 kinboshi from 3 different yokozuna, but he is listed as having 3. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Takarafuji should have 4 kinboshi from 3 different yokozuna, but he is listed as having 3. 

No, he only has 3.

• 2-16 v Hakuho, but one of them was while he was ranked at komusubi (Haru 2016), so he only gets kinboshi for Nagoya 2016;
  • 2-16 v Kisenosato, but Kisenosato was ozeki for that first victory in Aki 2014 so he only gets kinboshi for Kyushu 2017;
  • 1-13 v Kakuryu, Hatsu 2015.
Edited by Seiyashi

There seems to be a problem with 28th Yokozuna Onishiki Daigoro http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=11897

Possibly due to confusion with 26th Yokozuna Onishiki Uichiro http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3645

Wikipedia seem to have no problems distinguishing the pair, but there does seem to be something odd about that period in sumo. Two yokozuna with the same shikona? Reminds me a bit of the pro-wrestling situation in 1994  when we had Undertaker vs Undertaker.

10 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

There seems to be a problem with 28th Yokozuna Onishiki Daigoro http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=11897

Possibly due to confusion with 26th Yokozuna Onishiki Uichiro http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3645

Wikipedia seem to have no problems distinguishing the pair, but there does seem to be something odd about that period in sumo. Two yokozuna with the same shikona? Reminds me a bit of the pro-wrestling situation in 1994  when we had Undertaker vs Undertaker.

Could it be the fact that Onishiki Daigoro was a yokozuna of Osaka rather than Tokyo sumo? There is a similar issue with Okido Moriemon's page (the second yokozuna from Osaka sumo), although Wakashima Gonshiro's (first Osaka yokozuna) at least has the summary record if not individual bout records.

Onishiki Daigoro is one of only three Osaka-based yokozuna to be recognized by the Kyokai as official yokozuna. I imagine that's why he's in the DB. As he fought exclusively in the rival organization, there aren't any results to show. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

although Wakashima Gonshiro's (first Osaka yokozuna) at least has the summary record if not individual bout records.

Those are his Tokyo results, before he defected to Osaka sumo. 

• Thanks 1