Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

There are some mistakes on basho locations of the past year:

Haru 2020 is shown in Tokyo, it took place in Osaka
November 2020 is shown as Kyushu 2020 and that it took place in Fukuoka, although it was in Tokyo
Haru 2021 is shown in Osaka, although it is going to take place in Tokyo

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2015 at 11:05, Naganoyama said:

Takahashi (Hisanohana) is listed at Tagonoura Beya only and competed at mae-zumo in January 2000. The kabu history for Tagonoura shows the branch-out from Dewanoumi Beya happening on February 1, 2000, which implies that Takahashi competed out of Dewanoumi Beya for his first basho. (Sorry for the exhaustive detail, but I'm just trying to think it through myself)

Miyagawa is listed at Arashio Beya only and competed at mae-zumo in May 2002. Arashio branched out of Tokitsukaze Beya on June 1, 2002 so Miyagawa started at Tokitsukaze Beya.

On 18/10/2015 at 13:38, Asashosakari said:

Heh, that's something I'd been meaning to check for years... Might as well now.

A few more cases:

Azumazeki - Takaminobori & Takamiwaka hatsu-dohyo 1986.01, branch-out from Takasago-beya 1986/Feb/02 (first basho affected)

Irumagawa - Hoken & Kotsukasa & Kuwayama hatsu-dohyo 1992.11, branch-out from Kasugano-beya 1993/Jan/29 (first two basho affected)

Minezaki - Minezakura & Sakaguchi hatsu-dohyo 1988.03, branch-out from Hanaregoma-beya 1988/Dec/01 (first five basho affected)

Oguruma - Terukaze hatsu-dohyo 1986.11, Hayate & Hidekaze & Okaze & Shofu hatsu-dohyo 1987.03, branch-out from Sadogatake-beya 1987/Mar/23 (first three basho / first basho affected)

Oitekaze - Daishodai & Hayateumi hatsu-dohyo 1998.03, branch-out from Tomozuna-beya 1998/Oct/01 (first four basho affected)

Onomatsu - Onowaka hatsu-dohyo 1994.03, branch-out from Oshiogawa-beya 1994/Oct/01 (first four basho affected)

Nakadachi (later Sakaigawa) - Toshoka hatsu-dohyo 1998.05, branch-out from Dewanoumi-beya 1998/May/25 (first basho affected)

Shikihide - Shikinohana & Shuho hatsu-dohyo 1992.03, branch-out from Tokitsukaze-beya 1992/May/01 (first basho affected)

Shikoroyama - Teraofuji & Toofuji hatsu-dohyo 2004.01, branch-out from Izutsu-beya 2004/Jan/27 (first basho affected)

I only checked currently active stables and only those founded since the late 1980s, so almost certainly not complete. Surprising that the Oitekaze duo slipped through for so long.

Bumping these as it's still an issue. I was reminded of it by running into Kurono/Isshin just now, who is listed as a member of Kiriyama-beya for his whole career starting 1991.11, but Kiriyama actually only came into existence for 1995.01. He should be listed as a member of Isegahama-beya for his first 19 basho.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The torikumi for Day 2 is interrupted after the first two Jonidan bouts, presumably because the third bout features Takanoryu, whose shikona change wasn't picked up:

On 28/02/2021 at 22:08, Yubinhaad said:

Jd103e Taniguchi > Takanoryu (隆の龍)

Edited by Yubinhaad

On 28/03/2021 at 20:12, sahaven111 said:

marking Kakuryu as retired would be a good idea, now that this honbasho is over.

meaning a "gray name" on the Haru 2021 banzuke, and adding an "intai" column on his page stats.

17 minutes ago, sahaven111 said:

meaning a "gray name" on the Haru 2021 banzuke, and adding an "intai" column on his page stats.

Also, setting his record to 0-0-10 instead of 0-0-15.

4 hours ago, Sakura said:

Yes, i almost forgot ;-)

7 hours ago, Sakura said:

That should depend a bit on when the papers were handed over, shouldn't it?

And generally: Guys, guys. Pay some respect to Doitsuyama. The DB will be updated quick enough. Not everything needs to happen in the timeframe of hours...

• Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2021 at 20:12, sahaven111 said:

marking Kakuryu as retired would be a good idea, now that this honbasho is over.

There is an official intai list that is released along with the promotions to juryo - when that happens, Kakuryu will get the dreaded grey box.

2 minutes ago, Totorofuji said:

Ok, I'm not sure exactly when the list comes out, the "Retirees after" and "Promotions to juryo" threads her tend to be posted at the same time, usually the Wednesday after the basho. My point is that the database is usually updated in one go, I think.

Posted (edited)

I think the point is, considering we don't rely in the DB for things like immediate information on the intai:

Can we accept that the DB will take time to update on news that is 1) known to everyone and 2) not materially urgent to its status as a DB?

Unless there's been information that remains incorrect over at least 2 basho and/or there are howlers like >15 bout results per person, there's hardly little point in raising in this thread information which the DB will update on a fixed schedule, which Doitsuyama probably already knows to update, and which most other people who are interested would know already. It's not like the DB fails to update intai by the next basho.

Finding bugs in the use of bout query is a different matter altogether because those are by definition unknown. That is part of the initial purpose of the thread - to help report bugs that slipped by. That said, there ought to be an obligation to read back at least the past two pages of bugs to see if it hasn't been reported already, although maybe there's a better way to maintain a known list of bugs.

On 09/03/2021 at 15:16, Totorofuji said:

queries for zero wins or <1 wins in January 2021 don't work 

This is a known issue that AFAIK tends to go away after a basho or two. In the meantime just search by number of losses. It does make searching for absences a bit more painful, though.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

That should depend a bit on when the papers were handed over, shouldn't it?

And generally: Guys, guys. Pay some respect to Doitsuyama. The DB will be updated quick enough. Not everything needs to happen in the timeframe of hours...

I was not suggesting that it should be done soon. I was just pointing out that the previous poster hadn't considered the record. It doesn't bother me if it doesn't happen soon.

12 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Is Saganohana's Aki 1948 playoff against Kozuzan intentionally left out of the DB?

That was a playoff to decide third place, a concept never seen before or since. I'm not sure a) whether it's even worth showing, and b) how it should be shown.

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

That was a playoff to decide third place, a concept never seen before or since. I'm not sure a) whether it's even worth showing, and b) how it should be shown.

Seems to be such a forgotten bit that (unlike en.wp) the Japanese Wikipedia appears to have no mention of it - not in Saganohana or Kozuzan's articles, not in the yusho ketteisen article, nor anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Posted (edited)

@Doitsuyama Jk26w Sonoshun's shikona is misspelled as Sonoshin on the English side.

Similarly, this one still needs to be corrected:

On 28/02/2021 at 23:41, Asashosakari said:

I could have sworn this was reported at some time already, but I can't find it now, so...

"Hokuonada" should actually be Hakuonada; the kana reading in the Japanese data is correct, but it was misspelled in the romaji reading when he changed his shikona last September.

Mongolian Arauma's Kyokai profile now shows the given name Toru (徹  /  とおる) to his shikona. And on the subject of given names, the changes from these banzuke also need entering when you have the time. Cheers!

2020 AKI:

Ms15e Kyokusoten Manrai > Tamashoho Manpei (玉正鳳  萬平)
Ms50w Matsuyama Hiromi > Dewataikai Tomokazu (出羽大海  友和)
Sd23e Fukazawa Hayato (颯斗) > Joyuriki Hayato (城雄力  颯人) - reading of given name unchanged
Jd37w Kamada Takumi > Biganzan Yuichi (備巌山  雄一)
Jd71e Okunisato Ryo > Okunidake Shotaro (大国岳  翔太郎)
Jd92w Fukuda Takuma > Shokeima Hiroya (勝桂馬  大也)

2020 NOVEMBER:

Jd15e Abezakura Koji > Ouzakura Susumu (奥羽桜  進夢)
Jd18w Harada Masaki (将輝) > Shogun Masaki (将軍  真輝) - reading of given name unchanged
Jk14w Yoshino Keiji (慶児) > Hishuyama Keiji (肥州山  慶志) - reading of given name unchanged

Given name changes only:

J12e Takagenji Satoshi (賢 > 賢士) (reading unchanged)
Sd39w Onokura Yuki > Kenji (憲司)
Sd95e Kisenoumi Mahiro > Tomoryo (友令)
Jd40e Yuriki Masaru > Shota (勝 > 勝太)

And might as well add the latest banzuke too:

Sd6w Kotokume Kiyoshi > Kotohaguro Sadaharu (琴羽黒  貞晴)
Sd8w Mineyaiba Jonosuke > Mineyaiba Kishamaru (嶺刃  常乃助 > 峰刃  幾叉丸)
Sd49e Yokoe Rei > Goshimaru Reimei (剛士丸  黎明)
Sd73w Kotoito Hikari > Kototakuya Akihiro (琴拓也  暉紘)
Sd83e Kotosusumu Koki (洸希) > Kotodaishin Koki (琴大進  光輝) - reading of given name unchanged
Sd90e Wakamatsunaga Kizuku > Tokinosato Dai (透輝の里  大)
Jd39e Kotonagahama Taiga > Kototaiga Seiya (琴大河  誠哉)

Given name changes only:

Ms23e Asagyokusei Kazuma > Taiko (大幸)
Ms48e Asakishin Katsutada > Enma (閻魔)

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Yubinhaad Thank you for all the name change updates, they are in the DB now. I must have missed an earlier first name change though (probably in Kyushu 2017 or even in Natsu 2017?) as

Ms15e Kyokusoten Manrai > Tamashoho Manpei (玉正鳳  萬平) 

still shows as Kyokusoten Nozomi in the DB. I'd like to update this to Manrai but need the kanji, do you have this?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doitsuyama said:

Thank you for all the name change updates, they are in the DB now. I must have missed an earlier first name change though (probably in Kyushu 2017 or even in Natsu 2017?) as

Ms15e Kyokusoten Manrai > Tamashoho Manpei (玉正鳳  萬平) 

still shows as Kyokusoten Nozomi in the DB. I'd like to update this to Manrai but need the kanji, do you have this?

Ah yes, sorry about that, I should have included it in my quote there. That change took place for Natsu 2017 alongside his shikona change to Tanegashima, the kanji were 万来.

• Thanks 1