Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

The current banzuke does not have highest rank or division debut markers.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Funny, I had them, but they disappeared when I reloaded the page - a switch from May basho banzuke to July basho? - where the ranks are now the same and no longer new high

6 hours ago, Sakura said:

I noticed that and I sure do miss those markers. I can click on the career high rikishi and check their age and career progress.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Funny, I had them, but they disappeared when I reloaded the page - a switch from May basho banzuke to July basho? - where the ranks are now the same and no longer new high

I assumed this was the reason, but I feel they probably should be in.

Please find a way to get the markers back. If this is not possible, can the May banzuke be restored in the database? 

22 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:

It's fixed

Bless you! (Showingrespect...)

(Applauding...)Doitsuyama rocks! Pleased to see the title of the basho changed into "July 2020" too.

I'm not sure if this really fits here but I was browsing SumoDB and thought it might be nice to see a wrestler's KKs highlighted when looking at their rikishi page. So I wrote a short script that does this, which can be run in the browser's Javascript console when on the page. Figured I might as well post it here.

https://gist.github.com/msikma/018533e89796d42c6580150d15898a6d

It looks like this:

OwPhPka.png

Think I'm going to make a userscript for this since I kind of like being able to easily see around where a wrestler's best period was.

• Like 8

Is this the place to point out that Shodai’s two jun-yusho in November and January are both listed as “(1st)” in the DB?

• Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:09, Yubinhaad said:

Kyokuyuko's earlier shikona Hamakasuga is missing from his shikona history, and he doesn't show up when searching for that on the Rikishi page. 

Now that he's retired, can this minor bug be squashed please?

Also, some stray question marks have found their way into Ishii's given name.

Lastly, since Oguruma-beya didn't open until after the 1987 Haru basho, I believe the following rikishi should have Sadogatake shown as the first heya in their profiles:

Terukaze (debut 1986.11 as Kotoimasaka)
Hayate (1987.03 as Kotoadachi)
Hidekaze (1987.03 as Kotoakimoto)
Shofu (1987.03 as Kotochiba)
Okaze (1987.03 as Kotosasaki)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Remembered I had written that script earlier, went and did some more work on it. Now it highlights (jun)yuushou, distinguishes between makuuchi and lower ranks, and works on Japanese.

qLxNj8U.png

You need the Tampermonkey browser add-on to run this script, and it'll work automatically when you visit the page.

Here's the script: https://gist.github.com/msikma/bcd6161221fef37a6d3b76e646d0fc76

Doesn't work on older basho, though, because it get confused when a wrestler doesn't do either 7 or 15 matches. I'll work on that later. And apologies to people who are colorblind, I'm sure there's a better way to style this.

edit: also, old basho sometimes have a record with 'a' or 'd' in it. I assume 'd' is draw, but what's 'a'?

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

old basho sometimes have a record with 'a' or 'd' in it. I assume 'd' is draw, but what's 'a'? 

'd' is a plain draw (hikiwake), 'a' another kind of draw (azukari) - and there are also mushoubu and itamiwake

On 14/05/2014 at 19:54, Asashosakari said:

azukari = bout was concluded normally, but the outcome was considered too close to call (by the shimpan)

hikiwake = bout was ended as a draw because it went on too long and the rikishi were too exhausted to continue

itamiwake = one or both rikishi got injured in the bout and were unable to continue (typically meaning an inability to take part in a scheduled torinaoshi)

There was one more type of draw, actually: mushōbu = bout was concluded normally, but the outcome was considered too close to call by the gyoji and he elected to not render a decision. (It's marked as "o" on the DB, e.g. here.) That practice was abolished in the 1860s in the Tokyo organization and afterwards "too close to call" decisions were limited to being made by the shimpan only, i.e. as an overrule on the gyoji's decision. That, in turn, became obsolete when the possibility of a torinaoshi was introduced (in 1928-ish, IIRC).

As for the others, hikiwake has been obsoleted by the practice of interrupting a long bout for a mizu-iri break to be followed by either continuation or restart of the bout, and the itamiwake scenario now simply results in a fusenpai loss for the rikishi who is unable to compete in the rematch.

On 03/07/2020 at 16:51, Akinomaki said:

The torinaoshi system was introduced November 1925, the so far hikiwake 引分 and azukari 預かり were abolished, itamiwake 痛み分け remained.

A too long bout undecided after 2 mizuiri is stopped and a torinaoshi after 2 bouts is ordered. If that also remains undecided, now a hikiwake occurs, the gyoji announces that both are tired, thus a draw: 双方とも取り疲れましたるゆえ引き分け預かりおきます(with that, you find the proper Tsubota page) .

My daijiten at 2 places gives 2 different accounts of what happened from Natsu 1928 on (maybe 1 is corrected in the new edition): at "hikiwake" it says in the above case a torinaoshi the next day was ordered, at "torinaoshi", that this was introduced in 1925 and torinaoshi after 2 bouts was discontinued in 1928 - from then on (till when?) a bout would continue unlimited.

So rule-wise, both itamiwake and hikiwake are still possible.

Azukari was a quite complex thing, with 2 kinds: decided on the spot and kyokai-sabaki - a decision by an investigation panel in a conference later.

From Meiji onward it had 3 types.

1. like hikiwake, both had been equally strong: a maru-azukari
  2. a hidden winner: the better one got a maruboshi, that would be treated like a win banzuke-wise and in terms of mochi-kyukin, the other a hanboshi, which was treated neutral, as no loss - both were shown as △ in the results.
  3. dohyo-azukari: a monoi-ii due to the dohyo appearance (same time etc.) or a gyoji-sashichigae, with a bunch of flowers as consolation to the loser. In the results, win and loss stand.
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

So that's what they mean, thanks. There really should be somewhere on the db site that explains the above (and stuff like shinjo & the random # on some names). Looking at ancient banzuke is like reading some strange code lol.

Any chance to get Fukunoshima Hiroshi’s Real Name updated to Tonga 'Uli'uli Fifita instead of just “Tonga?”

On 22/08/2020 at 08:15, Kyokufuji said:

Any chance to get Fukunoshima Hiroshi’s Real Name updated to Tonga 'Uli'uli Fifita instead of just “Tonga?”

What part of this is the surname? (Scratchingchin...)

• Thanks 1

I think there is a little mishap in maezumo of July: Two Sadogatake men with all-to-similar name and all-to-similar rikishi-id were banzukegai before the basho.

Re-appearing was Kototaiko (11860) after a 4 basho absence, now in September listed at Jk34.

Not re-appearing was Kototaiki (11760), also missing 4 basho in a row but still listes as Bg now in September.

Maezumo rank 2020.07 and all maezumo bouts 2020.07 are credited to the wrong man (11760), though.

• Thanks 1

Yoshinotani's weight for November 1972 lists him as 63kg... Not only do i have trouble believing someone at a mere 160 lbs made it to Juryo, i also noticed it is sandwiched inbetween a "87kg" and a "95kg".

5 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Yoshinotani's weight for November 1972 lists him as 63kg... Not only do i have trouble believing someone at a mere 160 lbs made it to Juryo, i also noticed it is sandwiched inbetween a "87kg" and a "95kg".

Seems like a typo, I corrected it to 93kg.

• Thanks 1

Tateyama oyakata (Homarefuji) doesn't appear to be attached to an ichimon on the Kabu page. Also the ichimon for Isegahama-beya (and others) is referred to as Tatsunami despite Tatsunami-beya being in another ichimon. This should be Isegahama, right?

Edited by themistyseas

9 hours ago, themistyseas said:

Tateyama oyakata (Homarefuji) doesn't appear to be attached to an ichimon on the Kabu page. Also the ichimon for Isegahama-beya (and others) is referred to as Tatsunami despite Tatsunami-beya being in another ichimon. This should be Isegahama, right?

Tatsunami-beya is historically linked with Tatsunami-ichimon, obviously, but since the Takanohana election affair, it got kind of kicked out their namesake ichimon, and joined Takanohana's.

Since Takanohana-ichimon vanished, Tatsunami-beya is now part of Dewanoumi-ichimon.

I guess they could have change the name of the ichimon to Isegahama, since it is now the most important of the ichimon, but I would say that it is a personal matter against Tatsunami oyakata for this election thing, and the heya will reintegrate the ichimon when a new oyakata takes over this prestigious name around the year 2033.