Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

29 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Was it because Makushita contracted?

What do you expect to happen when 76 ranks vanish from the middle of the banzuke but the relative order of the rikishi needs to remain the same?

50 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I don't know if this question has been answered already, but what happened between Haru and Natsu 1967?  Apparently, the bottom of Sandanme got demoted to Jonidan, independent of their records!  In particular, Onomatsu at Sd79 went 4-3, then was Jd2 in Natsu; Sawada (Washinomine) went 6-1 at Sd105, and went to Jd6.  Was it because Makushita contracted?

They shrank Makushita to its current size, fixed Sandanme to its current size (it was already somewhat close), and also reduced the number of sekitori in both division.  Some guys got demoted from Juryo with winning records and no one was promoted to Makuuchi, although all but one demoted from Makuuchi "deserved" it based on the previous size of the division.

With there being fewer higher ranks available all over the top of the banzuke, closer to the bottom there was a huge shift in where the line was between the three main lower divisions.  Previous they had floated the numbers, and I don't know how they decided each basho on the number in each division, but they were approximately the same before in the three main lower division, and afterward Makushita was significantly smaller than Sandanme.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:12, Asashosakari said:

Somehow the DB has picked up the following nonexistent (and nonsensical) torikumi for Day 13:

Ms30e   Nionoumi (3-3)                          Ms46e   Kansei (4-2)

Not sure if that will resolve itself when the match isn't part of the eventual results.

Edit: I see it's also in Naganoyama's postings, so I guess the Kyokai's web staff screwed up and then fixed it.

It seems this wasn't limited to the website, people online have shown that it was actually a printed error on the torikumi hyo that they hand out at the venue. I don't know if it made it into the PDF versions that are on the site, it's not in the Day 13 file now so if it was there originally then it's been replaced with a corrected file.

All I can think is that someone got mixed up between Sakaigawa stablemates Kansei and Shosei, the latter was Nionoumi's opponent on Day 14.

It looks like this phantom bout has affected the head-to-head scores for Nionoumi and Kansei, which is shown as 0-0.

zRU2l6HS_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

All I can think is that someone got mixed up between Sakaigawa stablemates Kansei and Shosei, the latter was Nionoumi's opponent on Day 14.

Right, that's probably what happened. I suspect they actually meant to have Nionoumi-Shosei take place on Day 13, but after the screwed up listing they scratched the bout completely and moved it to Day 14, rather than post a revised schedule with it (and maybe risk Shosei not showing up, because he wasn't expected to be there originally).

Posted (edited)

For Torakio, both of his maezumo basho are listed as a new career-high and division debut: query

Also, after a very welcome fix before the May basho (it didn't go unnoticed!), the "rikishi with zero wins/losses don't show up in queries" problem is unfortunately back for Nagoya.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of truly random finds:

A match in 1992.01 on Day 9 has been recorded the wrong way around:

Fudoten vs Himenokuni

The record progression is correct for both, but the match itself should be a win for Himenokuni and a loss for Fudoten.

------

And in 1996.01 there are three wrong interim records for the various MsTd rikishi: Kumagaya should be 4-0 (not 3-1) after his Day 7 win, while Suzuki should be 2-1 (not 3-0) after his Day 6 loss, and also 3-1 (not 2-2) after his Day 8 win.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

Yoshikaze and Meisei's post-Day 14 / pre-Day 15 records seem to have been corrupted, the Day 15 torikumi shows them like this:

M5w Yoshikaze 0-13 (1-13)

8-5
 K1w Shohozan 3-11  

M16w Meisei 5-8 (5-9)

0-1
M10w Nishikigi 6-8  

M16w    Meisei (5-8)                            M10w    Nishikigi (6-8)
M5w     Yoshikaze (0-13)                        K1w     Shohozan (3-11)

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Yoshikaze and Meisei's post-Day 14 / pre-Day 15 records seem to have been corrupted, the Day 15 torikumi shows them like this:

M5w Yoshikaze 0-13 (1-13)

8-5
 K1w Shohozan 3-11  

M16w Meisei 5-8 (5-9)

0-1
M10w Nishikigi 6-8  

M16w    Meisei (5-8)                            M10w    Nishikigi (6-8)
M5w     Yoshikaze (0-13)                        K1w     Shohozan (3-11)

The database was so shocked that Yoshikaze won that it couldn't handle the information correctly.

• Like 1

Pre-bout torikumi records can be wrong in rare cases, not sure why. That corrects itself after the bout. I think it looks ok now.

Last basho's retirements were not picked up by the database, so those rikishi are currently listed among the banzuke-gai for the Aki basho.

And one more given name alteration on the new banzuke, Mugendai has changed the first kanji of his given name, but keeps the reading Kazuki:

一樹 > 数樹

• Thanks 1

Wakanoumi II http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=4083 became Otake-oyakata, since the kabu was owned by Taiho, attached to Taiho beya. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/若ノ海正照

It would be better if the DB showed that instead of the same 2 heya as Wakanoumi I http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?rikishi=4083

It is odd that the kabu page of Wakanoumi I http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?rikishi=3946 is that of Araiwa Kamenosuke - the shikona he had when he reached his highest rank. It would be better if the kabu page would show the same name as the main page http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3946

Edit: even if there never had been a komusubi Wakanoumi (but he made it back once), as oyakata (and before) he was the former komusubi Wakanoumi

Edited by Akinomaki