Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

dada78641    291
On 12/23/2017 at 23:03, Golynohana said:

Unfortunately NSK decided to block our new server too, Moving our sumo stuff to yet another server would probably work only for a short time.
We will need to look for a new solution.

Solution idea: developing an easy-to-install windows service, which could be installed on a server that is not blocked by NSK.
This windows service would grab all needed data and send it to sumo reference and to my sumo site via web services.

Regarding my games for hatsu'18 - I am going to enter the data manually as I won't have time to develop anything new.

I would be willing to set up a proxy script on my server. Technically it should be very simple. I assume we only need opaque calls (only need to retrieve and pass on the actual response data, no need for custom headers other than perhaps some fake UA headers).

Jakusotsu    1,695

Perhaps the SumoDB is getting blocked automatically by some DDoS guard for making too many calls? Just an uneducated guess...

PawnSums    51

1923.05, Makushita 30 West Tamanishiki, is listed as going 3-3 when it shows a 2-4 on the Hoshitori.

Rocks    584

Could someone fix it so that when you check off "Rank next basho" and "Result next basho"  while looking at the current banzuke shows what it will be? It would really help with my picks for the sumo games. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

Senkoho    467

What is the first character in Tsurubayashi's shikona after all?

The Abema stream had 靏, DB has 鶴 and the Kyokai site writes it with hiragana...

• Like 1

Gurowake    1,495

It's possible that it's actually 靏, but that kanji is not available in the fonts used in some places.  It's Unicode 974F, but the much more common 鶴 is likely available in less general font packages.  I think in Japanese they don't want to use the wrong kanji in someone's actual name, but using hiragana is never "wrong".  Doitsuyama is probably more likely to just used a kanji that's effectively the same thing but looks slightly different.

Edited by Gurowake

Asashosakari    9,475

As we've had a few cases like that before - my understanding is that the DB attempts to reflect what's actually on the printed banzuke, so there's no intentional "kanji replacement" going on. Not having a recent banzuke around I can't check, but it's certainly possible that Abema had the correct (print banzuke) kanji and the DB's divergent choice just hasn't been noticed before in this particular case. Conversely it's possible (and perhaps more likely) that the DB is right and Abema got it wrong...I recall falling for a mistake in the Kyokai's Ustream graphics, a few years ago.

Edited by Asashosakari

Doitsuyama    1,001
12 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

As we've had a few cases like that before - my understanding is that the DB attempts to reflect what's actually on the printed banzuke, so there's no intentional "kanji replacement" going on. Not having a recent banzuke around I can't check, but it's certainly possible that Abema had the correct (print banzuke) kanji and the DB's divergent choice just hasn't been noticed before in this particular case. Conversely it's possible (and perhaps more likely) that the DB is right and Abema got it wrong...I recall falling for a mistake in the Kyokai's Ustream graphics, a few years ago.

You are correct, and I'd correct his shikona if I get detailed info about the used kanji. The Kyokai uses the hiragana because the kanji apparently isn't in the unicode set (it was much worse in the past when they still used Shift-JIS), so I'm thinking that 靏 also isn't the correct choice, but an approximation too... maybe it's a better choice though, but hard to tell without a close look on the actual banzuke.