Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

460 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

The NSK English language website lists Nakagawa beya and Naruto beya. The database does not list them.

The kabu data is maintained separately and simply hasn't been updated for a little while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something buggish that might be in the same vein as the double Georgia issue mentioned a couple of months ago... Somebody pointed out to me today that a search for rikishi named Kagamiiwa displays two entries for the same guy (the one with hatsu-dohyo 1830.03), under identical shikona. The same happens when searching via his other two shikona, or restricted to any basho he was active in.

The only difference between the two entries is a different "Last Shikona" entry, one of which is apparently a shikona he only adopted in the middle of his final basho, which means there's no associated banzuke entry for that name. Is that what leads to the additional listing?
 

And while researching that, I just learned that these middle-of-the-basho changers can in fact be found by both names in the relevant basho...neat. So there must be some sort of additional database entry for these guys. Though, normally that seems to lead to such "duplicated" entries only for the basho in which the switch occurred, e.g. Zogabana / Hiraiwa in 1854.11 where it probably makes sense to display both. In other basho they can correctly be found by only one name. (BTW, I see the old banzuke.com data has that guy as Hiraishi?)

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yokozuna Musashuimaru is as listed Real Name: PENITANI Fiamalu. His nephew, Musashikuni is listed as Real Name: FIAMALU Musashimaru Penitani. What is the family name? Penitani or Fiamalu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Yokozuna Musashuimaru is as listed Real Name: PENITANI Fiamalu. His nephew, Musashikuni is listed as Real Name: FIAMALU Musashimaru Penitani. What is the family name? Penitani or Fiamalu?

Penitani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that's an area requiring further attention on the DB, actually.  Especially a lot of the Mongolian names are probably reversed as well, owing mostly to the inconsistent way that non-Japanese names are listed on the Kyokai's database where they originate from. Unfortunately I don't know enough about these guys to be definitely sure which part of their name is the given name in many cases. If someone who has that knowledge can take the time and go through them, it would be useful for the DB's accuracy. (Alternatively, maybe we can do a little community effort during the next between-basho lull and hash it out as a group...)

Edited by Asashosakari
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Penitani.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.7.2017 at 23:39, Asashosakari said:

Something buggish that might be in the same vein as the double Georgia issue mentioned a couple of months ago... Somebody pointed out to me today that a search for rikishi named Kagamiiwa displays two entries for the same guy (the one with hatsu-dohyo 1830.03), under identical shikona. The same happens when searching via his other two shikona, or restricted to any basho he was active in.

The only difference between the two entries is a different "Last Shikona" entry, one of which is apparently a shikona he only adopted in the middle of his final basho, which means there's no associated banzuke entry for that name. Is that what leads to the additional listing?
 

And while researching that, I just learned that these middle-of-the-basho changers can in fact be found by both names in the relevant basho...neat. So there must be some sort of additional database entry for these guys. Though, normally that seems to lead to such "duplicated" entries only for the basho in which the switch occurred, e.g. Zogabana / Hiraiwa in 1854.11 where it probably makes sense to display both. In other basho they can correctly be found by only one name. (BTW, I see the old banzuke.com data has that guy as Hiraishi?)

Yes, there are multiple entries in the shikona table for such occurences of shikona changes in the mid of a basho (which frequently happened in earlier times). I won't change the search behaviour now, seems not worth the effort.

Hiraiwa/Hiraishi: Ishi is the usual reading of this (basic) kanji, but I must have had a better source to list it as Hiraiwa, can't recall it now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

I suspect that's an area requiring further attention on the DB, actually.  Especially a lot of the Mongolian names are probably reversed as well, owing mostly to the inconsistent way that non-Japanese names are listed on the Kyokai's database where they originate from. Unfortunately I don't know enough about these guys to be definitely sure which part of their name is the given name in many cases. If someone who has that knowledge can take the time and go through them, it would be useful for the DB's accuracy. (Alternatively, maybe we can do a little community effort during the next between-basho lull and hash it out as a group...)

Yes, I can only go with the NSK website listings at this moment, other sources would have the same question marks unless coming from from a really good source. I changed Musashikuni's real name now.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:

Yes, I can only go with the NSK website listings at this moment, other sources would have the same question marks unless coming from from a really good source. I changed Musashikuni's real name now.

Thank you, Doitsuyama-san. The database is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doitsuyama said:

Yes, there are multiple entries in the shikona table for such occurences of shikona changes in the mid of a basho (which frequently happened in earlier times). I won't change the search behaviour now, seems not worth the effort.

Thanks. Just for clarity: With the Kagamiiwa case it's intentional that he has two different 'last shikona' entries?


Edit: Never mind, I think I answered that for myself. I just ran into the kind of analogous Saisu situation again (additional shikona after the last banzuke appearance, this one as sewanin). Makes sense that there are multiple 'lasts' if the final banzuke isn't the (only) last word on a rikishi's shikona history.

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now