Doitsuyama

Sumo Reference Updates

Doitsuyama    1,001
On 12.11.2016 at 18:47, Asashosakari said:

Related report elsewhere:

As far as I can tell, both head-to-heads were corrupted on Day 11 in Aki basho, and spot-checking a few more bouts from that day, I think they're all wrong.

Not all, but it certainly was some work to correct them. Should be ok now...

• Like 3

Sakura    191

I don't know if this the right place, but the Day 2 torikumi for Natsu is the same as day 1 on the database.

Doitsuyama    1,001
On 12.5.2017 at 21:13, Sakura said:

I don't know if this the right place, but the Day 2 torikumi for Natsu is the same as day 1 on the database.

I corrected this more than 3 hours before your post, which is somewhat irritating. Are there more problems?

Sakura    191
42 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:

I corrected this more than 3 hours before your post, which is somewhat irritating. Are there more problems?

It was incorrect at the time of my post. I don't know whether it's an issue of timestamping on the forum or not. Maybe it was my cache?

I didn't see any other posts about the issue though anywhere. Maybe there were posts in unusual places or made in cryptic ways, so I made the assumption that it was ok to post this since it appeared that it hadn't been noted.

• Like 1

Bumpkin    265
1 hour ago, Sakura said:

It was incorrect at the time of my post. I don't know whether it's an issue of timestamping on the forum or not. Maybe it was my cache?

I didn't see any other posts about the issue though anywhere. Maybe there were posts in unusual places or made in cryptic ways, so I made the assumption that it was ok to post this since it appeared that it hadn't been noted.

For what it's worth, I can back-up Sakura. I checked immediately after she posted and it was not corrected yet. 

Asashosakari    9,189

Ditto here; I was still seeing the wrong bouts for Day 2 nearly a full day after Sakura's post.

Asojima    1,747

Was getting the same matches on both days at the time of Sakura's post, but have been getting the correct results today.  May be a browser cache problem (Firefox).

Doitsuyama    1,001

Ok then. I wonder what the displayed time of your post (Friday on 21:13) is actually meaning then...

Asashosakari    9,189
Posted (edited)

Some fixes mentioned elsewhere:

On 1.5.2017 at 01:57, Asashosakari said:

In addition to the actual shikona changes, the Kyokai has quietly fixed no less than three errors:

Hiradomi is now listed as Hiradoumi (romaji transcription error; it's no different in kana from before)
Takamayama is now listed as Takabayama (funny, I recall we were quite puzzled during last year's maezumo because it sure didn't sound like -ma- and I guess it never was supposed to do)
Kodera is now listed as Kotera (changed for his real name, too)

Edited by Asashosakari

PawnSums    35
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 20:10, Sakura said:

or made in cryptic ways,

Yay I've been referenced

Senkoho    454
4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The Japanese data lists a shikona change for Tsugaruumi in Hatsu 2016, but nothing seems to have actually changed.

compare the last character in both versions of the shikona. Maybe with a magnifying glass :)

Asashosakari    9,189
5 hours ago, Senkoho said:

compare the last character in both versions of the shikona. Maybe with a magnifying glass :)

My operating system says they're the same. ;-) (More specifically, it appears to recognize them as "same" like A and a, but not as identical.) In fact, how different they actually are visually appears to be a matter of the font used:

In my browser (in whatever font the DB is specifying):

Umi1.png

In Excel (Arial):

Umi2.png

Hmm.

The real issue though is then: There's no such change listed by the Kyokai, it just has the newer version. Maybe it was another fix of an error rather than an actual change?

Yubinhaad    6,436
53 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

The real issue though is then: There's no such change listed by the Kyokai, it just has the newer version. Maybe it was another fix of an error rather than an actual change?

Tsugaruumi was listed on the Kyokai's shikona change page though, which doesn't happen for those subtle error corrections. There was further discussion about it in the banzuke thread of the time, starting here.

• Like 1

Asashosakari    9,189

Merci. That's what happens when I fall years behind on updating my own data...

Posted (edited)

Today, for the first time and for no apparent reason at all, I clicked on the "All Foreigners" link sorted under "Rikishi" on the Home Page. This leads to the pre-filtered Rikishi query as seen here.

My superhuman pattern recognition skills told me instantly that there are double entries for Tochinoshin and Gagamaru, while my superhuman laziness prevented me from performing a more thorough follow-up analysis.

Is that the feared Active-Georgians-Bug?

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 1

Raishu    50
1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Today, for the first time and for no apparent reason at all, I clicked on the "All Foreigners" link sorted under "Rikishi" on the Home Page. This leads to the pre-filtered Rikishi query as seen here.

My superhuman pattern recognition skills told me instantly that there are double entries for Tochinoshin and Gagamaru, while my superhuman laziness prevented me from performing a more thorough follow-up analysis.

Is that the feared Active-Georgians-Bug?

I could imagine, it has something to do with this: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/33919-for-natsu-tochinoshin-is-from-georgia/#comment-279027

The Japanese version shows the "change of shusshin" (well, he still is from the same city), but the shift from Gerugia to Georgia. A data guru might elaborate on this: could that generate a dublicate?

Appears reasonable to me, since it also applies for the Gagamaru data.

• Like 1

Very observant and probably true. (How the hell do you remember such a post from 2015?)

On a VERY off-topic sidenote: Since recently I'm reading and posting on a totally unrelated forum (cars; don't ask), where your post would have trigered an answer like:

"Listen, that's all very observant and probably true, but do you need to full quote for this? This was your third full quote in ten years and maybe it's better for you to move on."

That's Germans. No shit.

Bumpkin    265

The NSK English language website lists Nakagawa beya and Naruto beya. The database does not list them.

Rocks    521
50 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

The NSK English language website lists Nakagawa beya and Naruto beya. The database does not list them.

Yes it does:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?sort=1

They are in the drop down lists for searchs too.

Rocks    521
1 minute ago, Sakura said:

According to that they are still listed under Oitekaze and Sadogatake-beya respectively.

Oh, never mind. I misunderstood the question. Sorry.

Naganoyama    1,999

An interesting side-effect of having somebody's death date but not their birthdate is that it is necessary to take precautions when calculating their age.

This rikishi is old even for a Japanese...

• Like 1

Asashosakari    9,189
11 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

The kabu data is maintained separately and simply hasn't been updated for a little while.