Sign in to follow this  
ilovesumo

A smiling Danpatsu Shiki

Beautiful day here in Tokyo- sun was shining-just great. So I went to the Kokugikan for my final Sumo bit...

The Danpatsu Shiki of Kyokushuzan. I loved his sumo from my early fan days on. Tricky, beautiful, but as you all know, in the last years he wasn't jumping that high anymore :-P

poster.jpg

He stood at the entrance and had so many people around him- no way to get closer then 6 Meters. I can't say if he looked healthy or not. Inside all the Oshima Rikishi, Kyokutenho, Kyokutenzan, the smiling Kyokushuho-taller then anybody else :-). I'd say it was at least 50% mongolians there- so many beautiful people in such silk dresses and my beloved mongolian hat.

flags.jpg

In each box 4 flags to weave with. 2 japanese, 2 mongolian. Nice idea, but in the end kids ran around and hit each other with the sticks. Swordfighting.

When it started, 11:45, they swiched off the light and the Kokugikan was kompletely dark- that was a feeling....woah!

A group out of these 4 men came in and sang the Kimigayo...

kimigayo.jpg

I expected to hear the mongolian national anthem as well, maybe at the end?! but no...nothing. Sad.

There was a bang, smoke, and Shu came in,carrying his son. He had a bout with him and said hello to the crowd.

shuson.jpg

shuson2.jpg

Soon after- Shokkiri with a great Kainowaka...oh my god.......this guy makes me laugh my ass off again and again :-)

shokkiri.jpg

shokkiri2.jpg

shokkiri3.jpg

shokkiri4.jpg

It was a bit different then the other times I have seen it. Both become the real professionals in it.

Juryo Torikumi - some nice Hanazumo bouts- no real fights but nice show of kimarite you rarely see in a Basho.

juryo1.jpg

Mokonami looked good. Hopefully his injury will heal quick.

Kobo......still there. I hope very much he won't retire.

juryo2.jpg

juryo3.jpg

juryo5.jpg

juryo6.jpg

juryo7.jpg

Juryo8.jpg

juryo9.jpg

Always a hot bout- Hakuba versus Koryu. "On the Dohyo there are no friends" -true...

juryo10.jpg

juryo11.jpg

The Jinku band was nice. At the Basho time, there was a group of Jinku singers at the entrance every day after the bouts and one of those, the speaker said he is the jinku trainer (he was brilliant!!!), sang the first lines. Great to hear!

Jinku.jpg

Jinku2.jpg

jinkukasuganishiki.jpg

It was Kasuganishiki today, no Kitazakura- surprize. Kasuganishiki was good but not that much a show man.

After the Jinku Kyokutenho got an O icho created at the Dohyo by Ooshima's Tokoyama.

He was goofing around with the fans. A really nice fellow.

hairshow.jpg

Edited by ilovesumo

And the cutting began...

crowd.jpg

ambassadorletter.jpg

Shu stood there and a letter from the mongolian ambassador was red out.

deepbreath.jpg

One last deep breath before the first cut...

snip1.jpg

snip2.jpg

snip4.jpg

snip4smile.jpg

snipfan2.jpg

I am sure you all know this guy, right? Olympia Oji-san - The fan nr.1

He was allowed to do a snip too- there you see how far a fan can come :-) :-P

snipfan4.jpg

snihhakuhosdad.jpg

Hakuho's father, a great hero in mongolian Sumo

sniphakuhosdad2.jpg

snipshusdad.jpg

Shuzan's father

snipshusdad2.jpg

snipkyokudozan.jpg

Kyokudouzan

th_hakuhocut.jpg

Hakuho cutting the Mage

th_shoryucut.jpg

Asashoryu cutting the Mage

th_amacut.jpg

Ama cutting the Mage

th_tenhocut.jpg

Kyokutenho cutting the Mage

VIDEO: Kyokutenzan cutting the Mage

snipmongolian.jpg

snipkaio.jpg

Kaio

sniposh.jpg

Osh

sniposh2.jpg

sniptaikai2.jpg

Taikai

sniptaikai.jpg

snipshisho.jpg

snipshisho2.jpg

snipnomage.jpg

(Kyokutenzan Kyokutenho,Ama, Hakuho, Shoryu doing the snip- video will follow)

th_lastcut.jpg

Video of the last snipp

snipflowers.jpg

Flowers from his daughter

snipthanks.jpg

Edited by ilovesumo

Shin Yokozuna Hakuho came in and got his Tsuna...I can tell you, to see him finally with it...wow...

I have been to the Meiji Hono Dohyo Iri on Friday (report will follow), but that wasn't as great as today- cause today it was the right place for it-guess you understand...The Kokugikan is a much holier place then any shrine or temple

hak1.jpg

hak2.jpg

hak3.jpg

hak4.jpg

hak5.jpg

hak6.jpg

hak7.jpg

hak8.jpg

hak9.jpg

hak91.jpg

hak92.jpg

hak93.jpg

hakdayokozuna.jpg

Shin Yokozuna Hakuho. :-)

hakknot.jpg

The style of his knot is an other one as the one Shoryu prefers...I think there are nicer ones.

After that the Makuuchi Dohyo iri started and I couldn't wait to see Hakuho's Dohyo iri after it.....but it was Shoryu doing his coming from the east...

irishoryu2.jpg

irihakuho.jpg

wooohooooo, Hakuho did his too :-P coming from the west!

tenho2.jpg

After that the Makuuchi bouts, also some great Kimarite shown.

thenewshu.jpg

The new Shu!

He came in again after the whole program, bowed about 10 times and said "Really, thank you all so much for the massive support in all these years! Thank you, Really really thank you!"

STILL UPLOADING

Edited by ilovesumo

Good stuff! :-)

This makes me feel old. Feels like yesterday when he was the new kid on the block with the funny technique.

Good stuff! :-P

This makes me feel old. Feels like yesterday when he was the new kid on the block with the funny technique.

And I was watching Ozeki Wajima making a run for the tsuna on the day he was born. :-)

thank you thank you thank you i :-)sumogz3.gif

Does Shuzan know the goldhat-man personally?

anyway, nice to see him let one of his die hard fan to have a snip.

Thank you so much for the pictures. They're great! (In a state of confusion...)

I can't get the video of Hakuho's Dohyo iri uploaded! Youtube as Photobucket say it's too big. I resized it but got errors...help (In a state of confusion...)

Edited by ilovesumo

I think the olympic ojisan is known to all sumo wrestlers. When my wife left Japan and I brought her to Narita airport, there was a Mongolian exhibition and Tokitenku was there for a few minutes for promotion. Guess who was following him? Olympic Ojisan. (I was pretty happy seeing him in person since he is mentioned in the forum that often. He is a pretty jolly person I think. When I was at the Kokugikan, I was in the back rows so I didnt see him.

I can't get the video of Hakuho's Dohyo iri uploaded! Youtube as Photobucket say it's too big. I resized it but got errors...help (In a state of confusion...)

Google video desktop uploader.

Error as well (Sign of approval...)

http://depositfiles.com/en/ upload it here V, you are allowed 300Mb - we can download it and watch it.

I have been unable to download from that site despite repeated attempts.

Any known issues for that service? Workarounds?

Edited by Otokonoyama

:-) Thanks for the nice pictures and videos from the retirement of this great rikishi.

Thanks, sekihiryu, uploading now...wonder if it works :-)

http://depositfiles.com/en/ upload it here V, you are allowed 300Mb - we can download it and watch it.

I have been unable to download from that site despite repeated attempts.

Any known issues for that service? Workarounds?

Try www.4proxy.com

leave all but the first option checked (Remove client-side scripting)

I didn

Edited by Reki

Thx for the excellent pics! Especially the tsuna-tying pics are very interesting.