Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC recommends Hakuhou promotion

The YDC, in its regular after-basho meeting, has unanimously recommended Hakuhou be promoted to Yokozuna , becoming number 69. The Kyokai messengers bearing the good tidings will be sent on Wednesday morning to Miyagino-beya. It's been 4 years since the last promotion to Yokozuna.

Congrats to Munkhbat Davaajargal and everyone who has helped him get this far.

...and everyone who has helped him get this far.

Does that include the current Miyagino Oyakata?

...and everyone who has helped him get this far.

Does that include the current Miyagino Oyakata?

What does this person look like...anyone have a picture or a link to a picture?

Kathy

Good news. I know it was certain but it's nice to hear it's official.

i wish him many many yusho and a long career. May he produce good sumo over the years and create a nice athletic rivalry with Asashoryu that will result in great combats very basho.

69th Yokozuna ..... he is a prominent historical figure no matter what .... :-)

"So who's Hakuhou's shisho??" asked the ever-vigilant Ms. Uchidate at the YDC meeting today. The answer? "It's the attached Oyakata Kumagatani. He was his shisho till now, and will continue being his shisho", explained Kitanoumi Rijicho. The question arose because the complexity of the Miyagino beya situation with the inheritance and marrying into and now the scandal. After the meeting, Ms. Uchidate spoke to the press. "We are reading about all kinds of scandals in the weeklies. I don't mind disregarding it all, but I'd still like to know who's taking care of the new future Yokozuna. He's still young and may not understand some things yet. When that happens, it is necessary that he has a strong person to show him the way".

Wise words, I think.

Edited by Kintamayama

"So who's Hakuhou's shisho??" asked the ever-vigilant Ms. Uchidate at the YDC meeting today. The answer? "It's the attached Oyakata Kumagatani. He was his shisho till now, and will continue being his shisho"

BTW, Kumagatani's highest rank was just M13. If Hakuho turns out to be a relatively well-behaved yokozuna, I hope that puts to rest the notion that Asashoryu has been acting the way he has because his shisho was "only" an Ozeki and lacks the credibility to control a yokozuna properly...

Despite denials by Miyagino, his fellow oyakata are quite down on him. One veteran from his ichimon said, "He is not qualified to develop any deshi. He ought to resign." A young oyakata was harsher: "If it were me, I would disappear [into, perhaps, the icy Arctic Ocean]. There is nothing else more shameful where it concerns one's deshi."

20070529-00000015-spn-spo-thum-000.jpg

The Dummkopf

Wise words, I think.

Yes, and from my limited exposure to her, I'd say 'wise, for a change'.

The day all you whiners have longed for has finally come, (i.e. a second Yokozuna and for all intensive purposes a "rival" for Asashoryu.) Now lets see if Hakuho can put a serious dent in Shoryu's rampage to 32+ Yusho.........

Edited by Ryukaze

The fact that he IS (or rather, will become) a yokozuna changes nothing to his performance but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

I guess Asa now has to fight for his Y1E spot. :)

More on the meeting. It took exactly 10 minutes. "I hope he becomes a yokozuna with hinkaku", said Chairman Ebisawa. Each member in turn reiterated and emphasized that they would like to see hinkaku. "I hope he copies all of Asashouryuu's good things, and doesn't copy his bad stuff", said Ms. Uchidate.

Consensus-YDC says don't be like Asashouryuu.

The fact that he IS (or rather, will become) a yokozuna changes nothing to his performance but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

So your saying Sekiwake Hakuho is/was just as good as the now Yokozuna Hakuho?

So your saying Sekiwake Hakuho is/was just as good as the now Yokozuna Hakuho?

Of course not.

All I am saying is that there is no difference between O1E Hakuho this basho and Y1W Hakuho next basho.

The actual rank he holds does not anything to his performance.

The rank is a result, not a cause. If he gets Yusho next basho it is not because he holds the rank of Yokozuna.