Sign in to follow this  
maxim

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Yokozuna

I've always been a Devils's Advocate, it's in the blood, just can't help it. I am trying to put myself in xenophobic ol Kitanoumi Rijicho's position here. Let's see fortuneatly for me there is no hard and fast rule for Yokozuna promotion. The position itself would be somewhat denigrated by acquiring it strictly on the basis of win-loss formula. The "general" rule of thumb is a) back-to-back yusho (generally 13-2 or better) or one yusho with a yusho equivalent (e.g. 13-2 or 14-1 and jun yusho) and b) displaying the dignity, demeanor, power etc. worthy of a Yokozuna! This can often be the cork in the bottle for promotion, if a candidate doesn't fit the image. Konishiki for example was Ozeki at that transiton period between the more lenient promotion criteria of the Showa era and the more restrictive one of the Heisei era. He didn't have the image of a Yokozuna. Nobobdy, not even Rijicho, can deny that Hakuho reflects the qualitys desireable in a Yokozuna other than country of origin, of course. What he can argue, however is that due to the Yokozuna's apparently injured status after the fall off of the dohyo in the Aminishiki match that he was unable to perform up to par as a Yokozuna and thus did not provide the proper push and pressure on Hakuho to test his mettle as a Yokozuna. In the light of the apparent threat of mass resignations from the YDC should the Kyokai not call for meeting of the council I fully expect Rijicho will indeed convene a meeting of the YDC and then cheerfully disregard their undoubled reccommendation to promote Hakuho citing the situation I outline above, but continuing the Tsunatori through the Nagoya basho. I believe we will not see another gaijin Yokozuna until either a) after we finally get a Japanese Yokozuna or b) until Kokonoe ovakata or some other member of the Kyokai are elected chairman and the NSK get's the new guidance it so desperatly needs.

Whew....I finally ran out of steam....sorry for having run on so long.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong and Hakuho get's to be the 69th Yokozuna, but I'll not hold my breath.

b) displaying the dignity, demeanor, power etc. worthy of a Yokozuna! This can often be the cork in the bottle for promotion, if a candidate doesn't fit the image. Konishiki for example was Ozeki at that transiton period between the more lenient promotion criteria of the Showa era and the more restrictive one of the Heisei era. He didn't have the image of a Yokozuna.

Konishiki also didn't have back-to-back yusho equivalents.

Despite your assertion of often I'm still failing to see a single example. Please. Thanks.

Guest malenko39
I've always been a Devils's Advocate, it's in the blood, just can't help it. I am trying to put myself in xenophobic ol Kitanoumi Rijicho's position here. Let's see fortuneatly for me there is no hard and fast rule for Yokozuna promotion. The position itself would be somewhat denigrated by acquiring it strictly on the basis of win-loss formula. The "general" rule of thumb is a) back-to-back yusho (generally 13-2 or better) or one yusho with a yusho equivalent (e.g. 13-2 or 14-1 and jun yusho) and b) displaying the dignity, demeanor, power etc. worthy of a Yokozuna! This can often be the cork in the bottle for promotion, if a candidate doesn't fit the image. Konishiki for example was Ozeki at that transiton period between the more lenient promotion criteria of the Showa era and the more restrictive one of the Heisei era. He didn't have the image of a Yokozuna. Nobobdy, not even Rijicho, can deny that Hakuho reflects the qualitys desireable in a Yokozuna other than country of origin, of course. What he can argue, however is that due to the Yokozuna's apparently injured status after the fall off of the dohyo in the Aminishiki match that he was unable to perform up to par as a Yokozuna and thus did not provide the proper push and pressure on Hakuho to test his mettle as a Yokozuna. In the light of the apparent threat of mass resignations from the YDC should the Kyokai not call for meeting of the council I fully expect Rijicho will indeed convene a meeting of the YDC and then cheerfully disregard their undoubled reccommendation to promote Hakuho citing the situation I outline above, but continuing the Tsunatori through the Nagoya basho. I believe we will not see another gaijin Yokozuna until either a) after we finally get a Japanese Yokozuna or b) until Kokonoe ovakata or some other member of the Kyokai are elected chairman and the NSK get's the new guidance it so desperatly needs.

Whew....I finally ran out of steam....sorry for having run on so long.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong and Hakuho get's to be the 69th Yokozuna, but I'll not hold my breath.

Agreed, Asashoryu is not at his best, maybe injured.

If Hakuho goes 15-0, does that mean he only beat weak opponents? No. Hakuho would have beaten them all. Maybe he would go 14-1 and maybe he will on Sunday, but what about all the other victories? They cannot just be ignored.

At best the argument could be made that then, hypothetically, both athletes were 14-1 and nothing would be decided, yet.

Another thing: the governing body rarely cares, WHY something happens: you are injured? Bad for you, you move back in the ranks, even get relegated to Juryo. So?

No doubt in my mind that Hakuho is good enough and worthy enough to be a Yokozuna.

I am not a Hakuho fan, I like Kaio and was a Musashimaru supporter, but the truth is: Hakuho should be promoted.

Thank you all for your patience in reading and greetings from Berlin.

I've always been a Devils's Advocate, it's in the blood, just can't help it. etc.. etc..

He is going to be promoted. Kitanoumi will be the first to congratulate him. There is no foundation or base either in the past or in the stratosphere for your fear.

Relax and enjoy.

What he can argue, however is that due to the Yokozuna's apparently injured status after the fall off of the dohyo in the Aminishiki match that he was unable to perform up to par as a Yokozuna and thus did not provide the proper push and pressure on Hakuho to test his mettle as a Yokozuna.

You do realize that that's true for almost all successful tsuna-tori basho, right?

Edit: heck, let's post a graphic reminder:

Kyushu 2002:

4-2-9   Musashimaru  Y   Takanohana   0-0-15
2-2-11  Kaio		 O1  Chiyotaikai  6-3-6
14-1Y   Asashoryu	O2  Musoyama	 10-5
8-7	 Tochiazuma   O3  ---

Hatsu 2003:
0-0-15  Musashimaru  Y   Takanohana   4-4 intai
14-1Y   Asashoryu	O1  Musoyama	 8-7
0-6-9   Tochiazuma   O2  Chiyotaikai  0-0-15
0-0-15  Kaio		 O3  ---

And Asashoryu was cheerfully promoted as a second foreign yokozuna. Compared to that lineup, Hakuho has gone through hell and back these last two tournaments.

Edited by Asashosakari

With Hakuho's victory over Asashoryu, is everyone ready to proclaim me king already?

As much as I hoped to see Baruto the next Yokozuna, I greet Hakuho as a worthy new king. (Scratching chin...) (Sigh...)

With Hakuho's victory over Asashoryu, is everyone ready to proclaim me king already?

(Sign of approval...) Huh? Er, ok, well: "All hail King maxim!" - I still don't know what for, but is his majesty happy now?

(Sign of approval...) Huh? Er, ok, well: "All hail King maxim!" - I still don't know what for, but is his majesty happy now?

Yep. I decree that all my subjects should have a sense of humor.

Guest vscottj

I'm disappointed Asashoryu wasn't performing up to his usual level. But, I am thrilled at the possibility of having a 2nd yokozuna to keep things lively. Hakuho deserves it.

Edit: Well, I would also love to see someone as whacky as Takamisakari be Yokozuna. LOL

Edited by vscottj

And Asashoryu was cheerfully promoted as a second foreign yokozuna.

I think Musashimaru would beg to differ. I'm glad you made the point about Asa's second yusho though. He pretty much walked in, even though he was of the quality and deserves his rank.

Coming out of the Kokugikan on Sunday I was caught for an interview by Asashi TV. I did a ten minute vox pop thing on everything from the final torikumi on senshuraku to Irish amateur sumo to which style of dohyo-iri hakuho will use. According to my friends who saw it last night I was reduced to a single sentence "I hope the next yokozuna is Japanese" (In a state of confusion...)

Great. The one throwaway line I utter is the only one they use. I don't even care about the nationality and it must have seemed like I wasn't happy that Hakuho was promoted. Sheesh. I'm sick of the media twisting my words and using selective quotes. From now on press releases through my agent only.

Ha ha ha Nish you anti-Caucasian, racist bastard you!

Edited by Ryukaze

... I'm sick of the media twisting my words and using selective quotes....

I know it is a bit (In a state of confusion...) but is anyone surprised? That's exactly the way how media works. Only a fool would believe that there is no selection.

Ganzohnesushi

ha ha Nish you anti-Caucasian, racist bastard you!

Whitey go home!

Seriously do you think Hakuho is caucasian?

Ah, well for someone who is so "Pro-Japanese" I was only assuming that you were an equal opportunity biggut (with regards to caucasians as well as Mongolians.) (Sigh...)

Edited by Ryukaze