Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Miyagino Oyakata Yaocho Scandal by Shukan Gendai

I am convinced Wajima could have kept the kabu even after getting kicked out of the kyokai - it's his property after all. But what use is it to him if he can't get the benefits (oyakata salary) anymore and has to pay back a loan to shady gentlemen? So he certainly sold it - with emphasis on "sold", not getting taken away for nothing.

As a follow-up, I just ran into this SML post by Takayama-san who's usually very accurate about these things:

NSK wasn't directly involved in Hanakago myouseki of Wajima's case. It was the problem of Nisyonoseki's group how Hanakago myouseki should be dealt with. Of course NSK could dismiss Hanakago (Wajima) by their rules but didn't so, though gave several punishments to Hanakago and recognized

Hanakago's resignation eventually. ...

It was the widow of the late Hanakago (Oonoumi) who bought back the myouseki with the help of Futagoyama and the other oyakata, not NSK.

Was Wajima a stablemaster at the time (like Miyagino), or only a kabu-holding toshiyori? I'm sure that would make a difference in what the kyokai decides.

He was shisho of Hanakago-beya at the time, ironically enough also due to an arranged marriage. I had no idea until just now what happened to the stable, but it was apparently merged into Hanaregoma-beya.

The current Miyagino is unlikely to have had the money to buy the kabu so that means the widow of the former Miyagino is probably still the owner of that name.

Interesting notion. My initial reaction was that this would likely be closer to the Tatsunami situation where everybody seemed to agree that moto-Asahiyutaka was now the proper owner and his predecessor simply sought financial compensation after the family situation turned sour. On the other hand, Kanechika certainly sounds like the kind of guy who may not have cared too much for the details of whether he actually became the legal owner of the stock by his marriage...

Kiyokuni, former ozkei Isegahama, swapped his Toshiyori share to his heya's oyakata Wakafuji (former Maegashira 1 Katsuhikari) just prior to his retirement from the Kyokai. It means that Kiyokuni, now out of the Kyokai, still owns Wakafuji Toshiyori Myoseki. The share is currently vacant.

Meanwhile Katsuhikari is due to retire this August, right after Nagoya basho. I really don't know if he actually owns the share or Kiyokuni, unofficially. It will be interesting to follow what happens to their Toshiyori shares in the next several months.

As for the current Miyagino share, I believe, Kanechika, owns it free as long as he stays married to the daughter. Now if he happens to divorce her, then it will be another messy court battle we've just witnessed with Tatsunami/Asahiyutaka. Of course if Kanechika leaves the Kyokai, then the share stays with the widow of former former Miyagino oyakata's wife and she can be free to do as she would like (meaning she can keep it and rent it to a qualifed former rikishi or outright sell it to such a former rikishi.

A Toshiryori share is like any real estate or golf club membership. It is inherited to another person. The only thing is that only qualifed individuals can use it to receive the privileges.

"I don't remember anything like that happening. It is totally unfounded. The woman is an old acquaintance", said Miyagino Oyakata, speaking for the first time since the scandal started.

"I don't remember anything like that happening. It is totally unfounded. The woman is an old acquaintance", said Miyagino Oyakata, speaking for the first time since the scandal started.

I don't remember...?! Sounds like he's setting himself up to use the old "But I was drunk..." excuse (I am not worthy...)

Miyagino Oyakata fulfilled his minimal Oyakata duties by being next to Hakuhou when the messengers arrived and at the press conference. He was conspicuously absent from the celebration meal later, and is said to have "been in his room". Standing in for him of course was Kumegatani Oyakata. In the afternoon, he was summoned to the KKan office for another round of questioning regarding the new accusations. "Depending on the situation, Miyagino Oyakata may be called as a witness..", said Ben Goshi.

Obviously this is the thread that never dies and just keeps rearing its ugly head.

So here's the latest bit from our own friend Shukan Gendai this week:

Miyagino oyakata's LOVER was an onetime lover of the Kyokai's chief legal counsel Keiji Isaji!

"She is an acquaintance. That's all. We keep presenting our case fair and square in the court of law," Isaji said.

It's getting to be too silly to even wanting to read the article now.

The lack of denials all around is troubling - seems there could some truth buried in this steaming pile of :-)

The lack of denials all around is troubling - seems there could some truth buried in this steaming pile of :-)

If there is any truth to any part of this story, I suspect it is that at least one of these two idiots had some kind of relation with this woman.

Any lack of denials would be wise at this point. They really shouldn't be talking publicly about a pending trial. After all, everything they say "can, and will, be used against them" in the court. I wouldn't take their silence to be an admission of guilt (about yaocho, at least).

On the other hand, there may be enough evidence (i.e. dirty laundry) available to Gendai to make the Kyokai (Miyagino, Isaji, etc.) think twice about how deeply they want to pursue the case.

Musashigawa rijicho announced today the rijikai will be dealing with Miyagino's deeds. Kitanoumi Oyakata (who was said to have ordered Miyagino to order Hakuhou to do yaocho) heard the tapes (of Miyagino's basically boasting that he made Hakuhou do yaocho, among other things) in court today and testified that Miyagino was talking "total nonsense , most of it outright lies". Kitanoumi is suing the Gendai for defamation etc..

The writer of the article for the Gendai Mr. Takeda was not impressed. "The tape, coupled with what other Sumo-related people have testified to in the past, seems to me proof enough of the existence of yaocho!!", he said.

"Since this is an ongoing litigation I cannot make any judgments, but we'll surely have to deal with this matter", said Musashigawa Rijicho.

More details and exact tape details-first post on this thread..

Edit:Geez-I just reread the first post-Ozeki back scratchers club and all-how could I forget this?? A must read (the whole thread, kabu babu and all) for those that forgot.

Edited by Kintamayama

I must say that this is rocking my world. This is serious. Even if the guy is boasting and exaggerating, there's got to be some truth here. For the first time, I am beginning to have my doubts.

World is rocking at 8.4 on the Richter scale.

It's the same for me. If this case will be revelated like real and clued...I'll stop my passion for the Sumo. Sumo for me will be out.

I just about fell out of my chair earlier today when the articles popped up - colour me amazed that the tape was actually produced, even if it took two years. I have a feeling Miyagino isn't long for the sumo world at this point (though hopefully not in the sense that Kaikitsune insinuated up-thread) - Kitanoumi has ended up calling his own former deshi an unabashed liar now, and no matter what the truth actually is, you'd have to think the rijikai could well be tempted to make an example of the fool now. Half a steak on "voluntary" retirement before the year is over...

Edited by Asashosakari

"Miyagino had a cold at the time and was on heavy medication, so he must have been a bit dazed. He can't remember what he said.. He even denied it was him on the tape at first, but then admitted it was. In any case, most of the details are nonsense..", said Kitanoumi in his testimony, face red with rage or something. Asked why Miyagino should make up an elaborate yaocho story and tell it to his girl friend, he answered: "I don't know". Kitanoumi was the one to bring up the possibility of some measures to be taken by the Kyokai against Miyagino. He visited Musashigawa immediately after his testimony, prompting Musashigawa to declare they will deal with this as soon as the trial is over.

"Miyagino had a cold at the time and was on heavy medication, so he must have been a bit dazed. He can't remember what he said.. He even denied it was him on the tape at first, but then admitted it was. In any case, most of the details are nonsense..", said Kitanoumi in his testimony, face red with rage or something. Asked why Miyagino should make up an elaborate yaocho story and tell it to his girl friend, he answered: "I don't know".

Is the illustrious Dr. Honda going to provide the records of the tipsy oyakata's prescriptions?

36200cc8.jpg

Thanks for the original translation and commentaries, Jonosuke.

Why did it take them two years to produce the tape? Back when the story originally broke, Kitanoumi and the NSK didn't have much to say, now they're all over the cold medicine defense... This whole bit, specially after the Vatican scandal involving one of Japan's ministers, is a particularly funny way to say Miyagino was hammered. Just like mukiryoku or lethargic sumo is a way to say "fighting that makes the match look like it was fixed".

It's evident that both Miyagino and his girlfriend are rather sketchy characters (truth be told there seems to be plenty of those in the sumo world, Kitanoumi himself would easily pass as a kumi boss) After a 5 year relationship -and several hours in a love hotel-, I don't see Miyagino trying to impress his mistress at all; it sounds more like he's a tiny man among giants, and that's his way of coping with it (yah, me too, I played the yaocho game with Kaio, Chiyotaikai...). As for her, she just got back some of her lost time in the form of 10k yen bills.

I don't know what to make of the whole thing but despite the inaccuracies noted in other posts (like his Kaio matches having been in sandanme) there's some truthiness to the taped convo: Asashoryu does absolutely hate getting thrown and getting dirt on his body in official bouts. I'll speculate and say this is because of his Mongolian background (Mongolian sumo, horse riding, etc.). It

The trial is over. The Tokyo district court ruled that there was no truth in the article, awarding Kitanoumi ex-rijicho 3,300,000 yen and the Kyokai an additional 550000 yen. The Kitanoumi/Kyokai side was demanding 110,000,000 yen in compensation. There will not be a published apology. Musashigawa rijicho is still hinting that they may have to "deal" with Miyagino Oyakata, maybe as soon as at their next rijikai meeting soon. "The outcome was natural", said Musashigawa rijicho. "They made the right decision. My honor is intact and I am relieved!", added Kitanoumi Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama

The Rijikai is convening today and may finally get around to decide on a punishment for Miyagino Oyakata for being a dingbat.

Edited by Kintamayama

Miyagino's punishment (if it will come to that..) will be decided on the 24th. He admitted today that the voice on the tape was his, but said he was "talking nonsense".

The Rijikai is convening today and may finally get around to decide on a punishment for Miyagino Oyakata for being a dingbat.

They might have to punish more people if it turns out that being a dingbat is a crime...

They might have to punish more people if it turns out that being a dingbat is a crime...

Not all dingbats in the Kyokai have managed to help cause multiple lawsuits that took years to settle... It appears they consciously waited with a decision until all of those were taken care of, which wasn't until October 21 this year.

The rumor is that the Kyokai is going to force the current Miyagino to exchange miyoseki with the former Oyakata Kumagatani, who is Hakuhou's mentor. Kumagatani will be Miyagino Oyakata and ex-Kanechika (current dingbat) will be relegated to coach duties using the Kumagatani name.

The rumor is that the Kyokai is going to force the current Miyagino to exchange miyoseki with the former Oyakata Kumagatani, who is Hakuhou's mentor. Kumagatani will be Miyagino Oyakata and ex-Kanechika (current dingbat) will be relegated to coach duties using the Kumagatani name.

Which begs the question, who would really own the heya? Is the oyakata-in-chief always the property owner of the heya?

Which begs the question, who would really own the heya? Is the oyakata-in-chief always the property owner of the heya?

If you mean the physical land and building, I'm not sure it's even ex-Kanechika's property. Given the way he came into the position it might still be registered in the name of his mother-in-law.

Is the oyakata-in-chief always the property owner of the heya?

If you mean the physical land and building, I'm not sure it's even ex-Kanechika's property. Given the way he came into the position it might still be registered in the name of his mother-in-law.

I was thinking more in the line of equipment, accoutrements and the business aspects of the heya. It occurred to me that the head oyakata of the heya may be only a titular head in many cases.

Edited by Asojima