Sign in to follow this  
Ruziklao

Kotomitsuki on way up?

Seeing the results of current sekiwake I started to wonder whether there is after all a possibility that he makes it to ozeki. Last basho 10, this one 9 so far... although this might be quite premature, do you think that with Tochiazuma retired and Kaio, Chiyotaikai and Kotooshu not in the best form of their lives (to put it lightly) he might have chances for promotion after next basho? ;-)

i think that the intai and the current forms of other Ozeki have nothing to do with a potential Ozeki promotion for Mickey.

His results are the things to worry about.

If he doesn't fall apart in the last couple of days (take in consideration his back problems that HE mentioned) he could go to Nagoya for an ozekitori basho.

we should make this discussion after this basho ends and we'll have the records of two basho.

I've compared his record of the last two years to record of the ozekis.

Kotomitsuki 104 - 76

Kaio 81 - 65 - 34

Tochiazuma 101 - 57 - 22

Chiyotaikai 102 - 65 - 13

Kotooshu 118 - 62

Hakuho 127 - 42 - 21

That's not that bad. I hope he'll make it finally

well ... he only beats Kaio with those numbers. That's not veeery good .....

well ... he only beats Kaio with those numbers. That's not veeery good .....

? He beats Tochiazuma and Taikai with those numbers, as well... (Whistling...)

not really.

i only take into consideration the bouts they actually fought and not the kyujo ones .

Kotomitski won his 11th today and if he wins tomorrow against Chiyotaikai, he will be in a good position to finally secure his ozeki promotion next basho. Even if he loses, 12+ wins next basho should still clinch promotion. Since Tochiazumas intai and Hakuhos promotion, there will be no problem about having too many ozeki, and the quality of his sumo (when winning) has always been good, so there wont be any of the problems Miyabiyama had when if he just puts up the numbers.

Edited by Andreas

Also perhaps worthy of note lest we forget......CURRENT Ozeki need only achieve kachi-koshi to remain Ozeki so..........assuming our current Ozeki have had a number of less than stellar performances (of 8-7, 9-6 etc) and lord knows they have, this only makes his record that much less impressive, (especially since he's going to need to punch through with at least 33 or so wins in 3 basho to get there.......) :-)

Edited by Ryukaze

i was impressed by Mickey this basho.

i am not a believer yet but he could prove me wrong next basho, and i will gladly "eat my hat" ...

Kotomitski won his 11th today and if he wins tomorrow against Chiyotaikai, he will be in a good position to finally secure his ozeki promotion next basho. Even if he loses, 12+ wins next basho should still clinch promotion. Since Tochiazumas intai and Hakuhos promotion, there will be no problem about having too many ozeki, and the quality of his sumo (when winning) has always been good, so there wont be any of the problems Miyabiyama had when if he just puts up the numbers.

Exactly. IMHO he deserves promotion to Ozeki now.

Philafuji

Exactly. IMHO he deserves promotion to Ozeki now.

Philafuji

I disagree. 30 wins in the last three bashos just is not enough to deserve promotion.

so he would need 11 next basho?

To get 33 wins, yes. But ozeki promotion is not set in stone - Miyabiyama didn't get it even with 34 wins. Promotion should be likely though given the content of his sumo.

so he would need 11 next basho?

To get 33 wins, yes. But ozeki promotion is not set in stone - Miyabiyama didn't get it even with 34 wins. Promotion should be likely though given the content of his sumo.

And usually the result of the last Basho should be at least equal (preferably better..) to the basho before.

Edited by Kintamayama

I would put his odds at 5/1 if I was a bookie.

Maybe best you're not a bookie (In a state of confusion...) I'd give him 2/1

I would put his odds at 5/1 if I was a bookie.

Maybe best you're not a bookie (In a state of confusion...) I'd give him 2/1

I'll take that bet!

Take Nishi's 5/1 instead!! and make a killing. Actually, no, you take my 2's and I'll take his 5's, and we'll both make money ;) Sorted.

Id give him 4/1 odds. Even if he does make it though I just can't imagine him being able to hold it down at Ozeki for very long, then again stranger things have happened...........

Id give him 4/1 odds. Even if he does make it though I just can't imagine him being able to hold it down at Ozeki for very long, then again stranger things have happened...........

Interesting comments. He has 11 straight kachi-koshi, 10 @ Sekiwake and he fights all the same rikishi that the Ozeki face in every basho, so he has been at that level consistently since May '05. It is harder to become an Ozeki than it is to stay as one (as Chiyotaikai has so brilliantly demonstrated). I think Koto would easily stay as one, but as for getting there, I agree that he has it all to do. I do however think that he has the bit between his teeth and that this time he will not let the chance pass him by. That's why this bookie is only offering 2/1.

Even a delusional Mickey fan like myself wouldn't rate his chances of achieving 11 wins next time that high.

Consider the following questions:

1 Apart from this basho when was the last time he got 11 wins?

2 Has he ever gotten 11 in Nagoya?

3 What is his average there.

4 What does he usually score when ozeki promotion is possible?

1. Natsu '05, 13-2 jun-yusho as komusubi

2. No, although he did get a 7-0 from makushita 20 west in Nagoya '99 (In a state of confusion...)

3. In makuuchi his average in Nagoya is a very disappointing 7.3 wins to 7.7 losses per basho (44-46 overall).

4. Not much. 7-8 or 6-9.

I do however think he is more motivated this time and it's almost as if he sees the diminishing Ozeki ranks as more attainable at the moment for whatever reason. Have you not noticed he seems more focused ? I think he now BELIEVES he is as good as those immediately above him.

First of all, greetings board veterans from a callow new arrival.

I do however think he is more motivated this time and it's almost as if he sees the diminishing Ozeki ranks as more attainable at the moment for whatever reason. Have you not noticed he seems more focused ? I think he now BELIEVES he is as good as those immediately above him.

I agree completely - Kotomitsuki's performance is largely governed by his state of mind, and there's been no better time than the present for him. To have put in his best scores since '05, especially with a lower back complaint, will have done a lot for his psychological toughness. In an odd way, I think visibly outperforming his makuuchi heya-mates also helped a little with the ego [/speculation].

Anyway, he can do it. I believe he can, and I have registered on sumoforums just to say it. :D

I wouldn't go so far as Ross Mihara (saying that Mickey would become Ozeki in a basho where he finally beats Asashoryu). But if that stunner happens, that's dandy too. :-) Roll on Nagoya!

I told you we need a sumo betting game site. (with fake money of course)

I'm with Nishi. There's no way he's getting this. 4/1 or 5/1 odds, at least.

I give 3/1. Mickey is the real deal. I ought to pull it off. It would good to get a new Japanese ozeki in the mix.