Kintamayama

Latest kabu-babu changes

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sakura said:

I'm somewhat surprised that Goeido hasn't got a kabu yet.

Yeah, me too. "King of training" and all that, he seems like the type to stay in sumo. With all the support he gets in Osaka, he wouldn't be lacking in funds I'd think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sakura said:

I'm somewhat surprised that Goeido hasn't got a kabu yet.

I guess he's still working on his iin taigu toshiyori.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Meet the new Onosho Onomatsu oyakata?

fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:
43 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Meet the new Onosho Onomatsu oyakata?

fixed

He is the new oyakata of Onosho, so his really is the Onosho oyakata - and to add to that: Onomatsu changed kabu with Otowayama and Otowayama retired (the new one). The new Onomatsu will soon move to the heya and start work as shisho next week. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/09/26/kiji/20190926s00005000287000c.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Onomatsu changed kabu with Otowayama and Otowayama retired (the new one).

Fun with timestamping... I guess that means moto-Masurao is Otowayama for today, and the resignation is effective from tomorrow? Or is it just about his post-retirement ownership of the share and he's not going to be recognized as an active "user" of the name?

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Fun with timestamping... I guess that means moto-Masurao is Otowayama for today, and the resignation is effective from tomorrow? Or is it just about his post-retirement ownership of the share and he's not going to be recognized as an active "user" of the name?

Ex-Masurao switched and was Otowayama for the few moments from the rijikai recognizing the switch to recognizing the retirement - that's basically what the articles say. The official oshirase from the kyokai should clear this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2019 at 15:37, Akinomaki said:
On 26/09/2019 at 14:58, Asashosakari said:

Fun with timestamping... I guess that means moto-Masurao is Otowayama for today, and the resignation is effective from tomorrow? Or is it just about his post-retirement ownership of the share and he's not going to be recognized as an active "user" of the name?

Ex-Masurao switched and was Otowayama for the few moments from the rijikai recognizing the switch to recognizing the retirement - that's basically what the articles say. The official oshirase from the kyokai should clear this point

Just as reported, dated to the 26th, the kabu switch of Otowayama and Onomatsu and the retirement  of Otowayama http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=319

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There might be another vacant myoseki shortly, I don't know what's behind it but I noticed earlier that Hanakago-oyakata (former Sekiwake Daijuyama) is not on the Kyokai website any more (excluding the departments/duties page which was last updated Sep 26th). Hopefully not another health-related departure, but he still had five years until mandatory retirement so who knows.

All a mistake, as shown below.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 00:44, Yubinhaad said:

There might be another vacant myoseki shortly, I don't know what's behind it but I noticed earlier that Hanakago-oyakata (former Sekiwake Daijuyama) is not on the Kyokai website any more (excluding the departments/duties page which was last updated Sep 26th). Hopefully not another health-related departure, but he still had five years until mandatory retirement so who knows.

Well, he is back on the Kyokai members list, so I assume it was just a technical error.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raishu said:

Well, he is back on the Kyokai members list, so I assume it was just a technical error.


Glad to see it. The reason I felt it wasn't an error was that he was also missing from their Minezaki-beya page (where he's been attached since closing his own heya a few years back) - it seemed unlikely that he would've been removed from both that and the oyakata list by accident. But as you can see, he's back on there too. All's well that end's well. Sorry for the mistake, I'll try to be a bit less hasty in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goeido is now Takekuma Oyakata - I guess this explains ex-Zaonishiki leaving his consultant role 3 years early back in September?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Maegashira Tenkaiho has switched from the Hidenoyama myoseki (owned by Kotoshogiku) and is now holding the Otowayama myoseki. Unclear at the moment whether he's still borrowing, as the Kyokai site hasn't been updated yet.

In addition, Oyama-oyakata (former Maegashira Daihi) has moved from Azumazeki-beya to Hakkaku-beya.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought that the new Azumazeki Oyakata would need all the help he could get. Perhaps Oyama doesn't want to serve under him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2020 at 11:59, Yubinhaad said:

Former Maegashira Tenkaiho has switched from the Hidenoyama myoseki (owned by Kotoshogiku) and is now holding the Otowayama myoseki. Unclear at the moment whether he's still borrowing, as the Kyokai site hasn't been updated yet.

In addition, Oyama-oyakata (former Maegashira Daihi) has moved from Azumazeki-beya to Hakkaku-beya.

Now officially acknowledged, both per February 1:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=337
http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=338

Still kabu on loan for ex-Tenkaiho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:39, Asashosakari said:
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:59, Yubinhaad said:

Former Maegashira Tenkaiho has switched from the Hidenoyama myoseki (owned by Kotoshogiku) and is now holding the Otowayama myoseki. Unclear at the moment whether he's still borrowing, as the Kyokai site hasn't been updated yet.

In addition, Oyama-oyakata (former Maegashira Daihi) has moved from Azumazeki-beya to Hakkaku-beya.

Now officially acknowledged, both per February 1:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=337
http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=338

Still kabu on loan for ex-Tenkaiho.


Otowayama has been moved above the other myoseki borrowers on the Kyokai's oyakata list.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Congratulations to Sokokurai! After returning, he earned a Juryo yusho, a kinboshi, a ginosho, and a junyusho. Fairly good and proved himself to be a good rikishi. If was never banned, he could have made a sanyaku. Wish him success as a heya owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Sokokurai. He could produce some lovely yotsuzumo at times. There are many 'if only' stories about rikishi who lose (part of) their careers to injury, but Sokokurai is the only one I know of that lost three of his best years to injustice... I wish him better fortune as Araisho oyakata.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Arashio!

He really has a weird career, and is welcomed as one of the few to be welcomed as oyakata after spending time out of kyokai

Did it happen since the reintegration of Osaka sumo wrestlers into the Tokyo association? Perhaps during the war? I am sure some very knowledgeable people out there know the answer

Also, first Chinese-born oyakata?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

Congrats to Arashio!

He really has a weird career, and is welcomed as one of the few to be welcomed as oyakata after spending time out of kyokai

Did it happen since the reintegration of Osaka sumo wrestlers into the Tokyo association? Perhaps during the war? I am sure some very knowledgeable people out there know the answer

There's Tamanoumi, who as a makushita rikishi was kicked out for drunkenly fighting on an overseas tour in 1941 and then drafted into the Japanese army. He was allowed back after nine years out and eventually became a sekiwake and Kataonami Oyakata.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tamanoumi was also the one that came to my mind first, and may well be the most recent one pre-Sokokurai. (Edit: Okay, decidedly not the most recent, see Yubinhaad's post below.) Prior to him: WWII time definitely covers several more, even two later yokozuna (YoshibayamaTochinishiki), and then there are also the rikishi who returned from Tenryu's breakaway organization in the early 1930s, many of whom later became oyakata. (Feel free to check those ranked as BS - besseki - in 1933.01, although that covers only most of the returners, not all.)

Small nitpick: "Reintegration" doesn't really fit for the Osaka merger guys; while there were some rikishi who had moved from Tokyo to Osaka individually, the organization as a whole wasn't a breakaway, just one that had developed in parallel to Tokyo's.
 

5 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

Also, first Chinese-born oyakata?

Yup.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

There's Tamanoumi, who as a makushita rikishi was kicked out for drunkenly fighting on an overseas tour in 1941 and then drafted into the Japanese army. He was allowed back after nine years out and eventually became a sekiwake and Kataonami Oyakata.


His successor Tamanofuji also had a spell out of the Kyokai, although I don't think he was kicked out, rather he left to join the defence forces and returned after being discharged from that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One strange case I just ran into while googling around is that of later ozeki Shimizugawa - Wikipedia says that he got romantically involved with a woman whose brother was a yakuza member, and subsequently got threatened by said brother which resulted in him missing several tournaments in 1927 and eventually getting thrown out by his shisho. The Wiki article doesn't go into further detail about what exactly went on except to say that he ended up travelling all over the country and even to Manchuria, but I'm guessing it means he eloped with the woman to get away from her brother for a while. He was eventually re-admitted into sumo.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know when the Arashio transfer was officially done? It was reported on March 26th but ex-Oyutaka didn't turn 65 until the 29th. Also is the old Arashio staying as a consultant in some way or has he left completely? (the English version of the Kyokai site has not been updated yet.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now