Kintamayama

Latest kabu-babu changes

Recommended Posts

On 20/09/2018 at 07:24, Akinomaki said:

Takanohana-beya is not remaining?

Apparently it is not remaining - and one ichidai toshiyori kabu disappears

The discussion will take place here:  http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/38257-takanohana-resigns/

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but since you mentioned ichidai toshiyori, I'm reminded of a question I had about them:

Was the idea of them formed into existence before Taiho?  If not, how did they come to the conclusion that a new type of kabu should be created for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Apparently it is not remaining - and one ichidai toshiyori kabu disappears

The only one that was still in existence.  All 3 that have been created were oyakata at the same time for a couple years right after Takanohana retired; now all 3 have left the Kyokai before another one was created.

Edited by Gurowake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

The only one that was still in existence.  All 3 that have been created were oyakata at the same time for a couple years right after Takanohana retired; now all 3 have left the Kyokai before another one was created.

Kitanoumi passed away, he did not leave the association 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lust like I simply phrased it "one ... disappeared", not emphasizing that there was only one, in the mood of "this is one big thing", Gurowake used the phrase "left" the give the thing more drama - but a kabu is not the person

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NSK yesterday felt the necessity to justify (and explain?) the new duty to join an ichimon, they hadn't made an announcement about it so far.

It is based on the now omnipresent compliance and governance philosophy.

It was confirmed that there was no dispute yet about penalties for oyakata who don't comply and join, and there is no restriction to state the own opinion.

The NSK subsidizes the heya according to ichimon and it was judged to be difficult to make the payments to independent heya transparent. The rule is also there to improve the functions of the ichimon as an institution to bundle the heya, and is meant to strengthen the organization in respect to solving the present problems of violence etc.

https://this.kiji.is/417350037824701537?c=39546741839462401

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Satoyama retired after his day 13 bout (4-3 finish as ms9) and becomes Sanoyama-oyakata (owned by Chiyootori). NHK announced that the intai press conference will be on senshuraku.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to see him leave. I always liked him for his sense of humour and being able to survive so long in the paid ranks as a smaller rikishi.
Perhaps he decided that he didn't want to be chewed up by the Makushita joi again after his KK.

Edited by orandashoho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He went out on a positive note with a kachikoshi, better than most wrestlers I’ve followed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Satoyama retired after his day 13 bout (4-3 finish as ms9) and becomes Sanoyama-oyakata (owned by Chiyootori).

Didn't expect anyone would dare to take a seat on that particular timebomb - Chiyootori hasn't exactly been storming back up to sekitori status. I hope Satoyama already has a backup plan in mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

Didn't expect anyone would dare to take a seat on that particular timebomb - Chiyootori hasn't exactly been storming back up to sekitori status. I hope Satoyama already has a backup plan in mind...

I wonder, is Chiyootori planning to coach at Kokonoe stable, or does he want to start his own heya?  Chiyotaikai is only 42, and I assume not going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize, until now, that Endo owned the Kitajin kabu. He got it in May, right after being promoted to Komusubi. It was reported here in May. Any news on the Ikioi to get Kasugayama Kabu?

Edited by Bumpkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I wonder, is Chiyootori planning to coach at Kokonoe stable, or does he want to start his own heya?  Chiyotaikai is only 42, and I assume not going anywhere.

Chiyootori's not anywhere close to eligibility for opening up a new stable (60 makuuchi tournaments or 25 in sanyaku).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:31, Bumpkin said:

Any news on the Ikioi to get Kasugayama Kabu?


I forgot to mention, there's a line in the Kyokai's business report for last year, he acquired the myoseki as of March 24th 2017.

平成29年3月24日       年寄名跡春日山を勢こと東口翔太が継承すること

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2018 at 17:40, Kintamayama said:

Nishonoseki Ichimon has accepted the following oyakata (and their heyas, if they own one) into its benevolent fold: Ounomatsu, Shikoroyama, Chiganoura, Ootake, Minato,and Tatsutagawa. The article says there are nine Oyakatas  joining but mentions only  six by name (I'm guessing the others are attached Oyakata Shiranui, Otowayama and Tokiwayama). Nishonoseki Ichimon now numbers close to 30 oyakata, closing in on Dewanoumi Ichimon.

The NSK acknowledged on the 29th that the 9 oyakata join Nishonoseki-ichimon - and Tatsunami Dewanoumi-ichimon. The ichimon-kai had accepted the new members in September, the NSK had decided in July that every heya has to be in an ichimon. http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLSSXK40655_Z21C18A1000000/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what rank Araiso Oyakata will be. As an ex-yokozuna he won't be a lowly toshiyori, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

I was wondering what rank Araiso Oyakata will be. As an ex-yokozuna he won't be a lowly toshiyori, right?

I'm no expert here, but I think part of the ranking system has to do with seniority as an oyakata. Perhaps an iin-taigu toshiyori? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:46, Atenzan said:

I'm no expert here, but I think part of the ranking system has to do with seniority as an oyakata. Perhaps an iin-taigu toshiyori? 

Perhaps - I wasn't sure if that applied only to yokozuna or ozeki who are staying temporarily under their shikona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

Perhaps - I wasn't sure if that applied only to yokozuna or ozeki who are staying temporarily under their shikona.

Elders using a borrowed share cannot be promoted from toshiyori, while very successful former wrestlers (generally, yokozuna and ōzeki) immediately receive full iin privileges as iin taigu toshiyori upon their retirement from active competition, even before their normal advancement up the ladder will take them to shunin and later iin status.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiyori

Edited by Benihana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2019 at 22:42, Benihana said:

Elders using a borrowed share cannot be promoted from toshiyori, while very successful former wrestlers (generally, yokozuna and ōzeki) immediately receive full iin privileges as iin taigu toshiyori upon their retirement from active competition, even before their normal advancement up the ladder will take them to shunin and later iin status.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiyori

For what it's worth ... the 'List of sumo elders' on Wikipedia has received an update on the 18th of January and lists Kisenosato as toshiyori (but as the top of their group). The list matches the one on the NSK website. Further, both lists do not mention him as iin taigu toshiyori, so we can assume he has to start as a simple toshiyori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now