Sign in to follow this  
Peterao

Shunkan Bunshun

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this line in an advertisement for the next ssue of Shuukan Bunshun:

"???????????????????????????"

Does this mean:

"Asashoryu informs Hakuho: we don't need anymore Mongolian yokozuna"?

Perhaps in that case he can leave us gracefully so there will be a new Mongolian yokozuna who can aim for 100 yusho and leads Ozumo as the sole yokozuna..

Anyway I don't put an iota of credence to any "banner" line like this from this once credible weekly now behaving more like the Shukan Post.

I've been tricked into buying their issue by reading a banner only to find myself reading a rumor, heresay or speculation without any basis, all in one small paragraph. Just because someone is talking about it, does not mean a thing. I am pretty sure it was not a direct quote their "reporter" got from Asashoryu. For one thing they don't have a sumo beat reporter. Obviously they will never get sued for something like this as when you read the article, it tends to end with a question mark from an unattributed source.

It's curious that these type of things always show up during a basho.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this line in an advertisement for the next ssue of Shuukan Bunshun:

Does this mean:

You mean to tell me that you can read the Kanji and put it into romaji for us all to read but aren't sure about the meaning???

Does this mean:

You mean to tell me that you can read the Kanji and put it into romaji for us all to read but aren't sure about the meaning???

Uh...yeah. There's a little thing called grammar that often trips me up. To me it also didn't sound like something Asashoryu would say, further shaking my confidence.

Uh...yeah. There's a little thing called grammar that often trips me up. To me it also didn't sound like something Asashoryu would say, further shaking my confidence

Asashoryu did not say that. The title of the article was a statement by the author directed at Asashoryu and Hakuho. A friend of mine in Japan read the article (at my behest) and reported that the author made much ado about the very little that happened prior to the basho.

To lend credence to his assertion, he cited both Yoshio Ishibashi, former chair of YDC, and Takeshi Umemiya, noted philosopher/writer with works on Japan and the Japanese people. Neither of the two actually said, "No need for more Mongolian yokozuna."

Again, Shukan Bunshun is just trying to stir things up to sell the magazine.

Uh...yeah. There's a little thing called grammar that often trips me up. To me it also didn't sound like something Asashoryu would say, further shaking my confidence.

O.k. sorry bro, I wasn't sure (didn't mean to sound like a dick, well at least not here I didn't lol)

But yeah regardless of whether he really said it or not, " mou mongorujin yokozuna nan te iranai" essentially means "We don't need any more Mongolian Yokozuna."

O.k. sorry bro, I wasn't sure (didn't mean to sound like a dick, well at least not here I didn't lol)

But yeah regardless of whether he really said it or not, " mou mongorujin yokozuna nan te iranai" essentially means "We don't need any more Mongolian Yokozuna."

I'd say it's more like "We don't need more of these Mongolian Yokozuna.." . The "nan te" has a negative connotation. It could easily have been without those words (mou mongorujin yokozuna wa iranai) , but they add some nastiness.

I'd say it's more like "We don't need more of these Mongolian Yokozuna.." . The "nan te" has a negative connotation. It could easily have been without those words (mou mongorujin yokozuna wa iranai) , but they add some nastiness.

O.k. so I could say something like....こんな細かい翻訳"なんって"いらない。

O.k. so I could say something like....こんな細かい翻訳"なんって"いらない。

Yes you could, but I'd lose the っ in なんって..