Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

If Hakuho is promoted this basho, it will be on June 1.

The senshuraku is May 27 so the YDC will meet on May 28 when they will stamp their approval.

The banzuke Hensei (arranging) committee meeting and Kyoki directors meeting will be held on May 30 and the messengers will be dispatched to Miyagino beya to officially convey the word to Hakuho, Miyagino oyakata and his wife with Kumagatani oyakata sitting close-by.

On May 31 Tatsunami Ichimon rikishi will convene at Miyagino beya to make the Tsuna (yokozuna rope) for Hakuho and he will practice his yokozuna dohyo-iri, hopefully Shiranui style.

On June 1 accompanied by Tsuyuharai Ryuo and Tachimochi Ama, yokozuna Hakuho will perform his first yokozuna dohyo-iri at the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Shibuya-ward, Tokyo.

Banzai, Banzai!

1st June will be the Kokonoe oyakata's birthday too.

If Hakuho becomes yokozuna when will his Meji-Jingu dohyo-iri be, and where will it be announced? I've heard it will happen in the few days after the basho.

Hakuho will do Yokozuna-dohyou-iri at Hawaii jyungyou.

On May 31 Tatsunami Ichimon rikishi will convene at Miyagino beya to make the Tsuna (yokozuna rope) for Hakuho and he will practice his yokozuna dohyo-iri, hopefully Shiranui style.

Yes, it will definitely be in the Shiranui style. Since Yokozuna Yoshibayama was the one to revive the Miyagino-beya, their future Yokozuna will where the tsuna in the same style that he did.

If hakuho lets say goes 14-1 and wins yusho, and asashoryu goes 13-2, who will be yokozuna east?

If hakuho lets say goes 14-1 and wins yusho, and asashoryu goes 13-2, who will be yokozuna east?

Good question, but I guess still Asashoryu. Just like freshly promoted Ozeki always get the last slot.

The matter of yokozuna dohyo-iri, among many other things, were announced and discussed prematurely by Hakuho's camp last year. This time, they are wisely keeping it low key.

Good question, but I guess still Asashoryu. Just like freshly promoted Ozeki always get the last slot.

Yeah, they've stuck to that guideline lately, so I'd expect the same. After all, Asashoryu didn't even take the East slot for his debut basho even though Musashimaru had been kyujo.

If it happens, will the yokozuna dohyo-iri be given some sort of special live broadcast on Japanese TV (did it happen when Asa was promoted)?

I arrive in Osaka on the 30 May; so close yet so far. :-S

Checking hakkeyoi.net for the last few Yokozuna promotions, Asashoryu, Musahimaru and Wakanohana were all given the lowest Yokozuna spot on the new banzuke, despite all having won the previous yusho.

Asashoryu was even ranked behind Musashimaru who hadn't even turned for the previous basho, (nor for the next couple).

However, when Takanohana was promoted to Yokozuna, he leap-frogged Akebono into the East Y slot on his Yokozuna debut. Akebono had posted a 10-5 record compared to Takanohana's 15-0 (his second 15-0 in a row).

However, when Takanohana was promoted to Yokozuna, he leap-frogged Akebono into the East Y slot on his Yokozuna debut. Akebono had posted a 10-5 record compared to Takanohana's 15-0 (his second 15-0 in a row).

Hmm...sounds like this might be a useful factoid.

On June 1 accompanied by Tsuyuharai Ryuo and Tachimochi Ama, yokozuna Hakuho will perform his first yokozuna dohyo-iri at the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Shibuya-ward, Tokyo.

Any idea what time this ceremony will be at, or what time it has been held at in the past?

hopefully Shiranui style.

I storongly hope so. Shiranui-gata is good on Hakuho!! It's perfect for him.

By the way, Hakuho will use Yoshibayama's Yokozuna Keshou-mawashi for Yokozuna-dohyou-iri on that day.

It might be the first and last, so do not miss it!!

Any idea what time this ceremony will be at, or what time it has been held at in the past?

Some recent reports are now saying that Hakuho will do his first dohyo-iri at the Hawaii Basho. Does a newly-promoted yokozuna do a ceremonial dohyo-iri (i.e. @ Meiji Jingu shrine) before performing it in a tournament?

Some recent reports are now saying that Hakuho will do his first dohyo-iri at the Hawaii Basho. Does a newly-promoted yokozuna do a ceremonial dohyo-iri (i.e. @ Meiji Jingu shrine) before performing it in a tournament?

I believe there is always a cermenonial one done at Meiji Shrine prior to any other public venue. (Sign of approval...)

A similar case: Wakanosato III did a dohyo-iri at Meiji Shrine on May 28. He then did his first dohyo-iri in competition during the Vancouver jungyo (June 7).

It really makes me sad that I'm heading to Germany instead of Hawaii on June 8.

Edited by Takanorappa