Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 3 Natsu Basho 2007

Baruto (3-0) over Takanowaka by yorikiri

--------------------------------------------------

(On his comeback, injury not yet fully healed and still not able to train with sekitoris but have been training against lower ranking rikishi)

"It was really hard as I could not do something I love so much. The rehab wasn't easy either but I worked so hard. That's why I am back here right now and I can compete reasonably. It's been a long when I can feel I can let myself go all out. But I do realize I will need to change my sumo style."

Iwakiyama (1-2) over Kitazakura by yorikiri, 18.5 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Finding a new way to win with 'Gaburi' style)

"I have lost so much power that my oyakata told to me learn 'Gaburi' technique to give myself a chance to a win."

Futeno (3-0) over Ushiomaru by tsukiotoshi, 6.1 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Winning his third already)

"I won three straight since day 1! I wonder when was the last time I did this. It must be a while.

After all I already equalled my total wins of the last basho."

Ryuo (3-0) over Satoyama by oshitaoshi, 5.2 seconds

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Winning his third. Facing Satoyama for the first time in Makuuchi)

"I lost to him last basho in Juryo so I was conscious of him. But more than expected I am seeing my opponent well. I am not feeling nervous at all. I am just trying to ride with the good flow right now."

Dejima (3-0) over Tamakasuga by yorikiri, 4.9 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Not overly overjoyed by his three bout winning streak )

"As you know I had a Makekoshi the last basho after winning three to start. I am moving well though. I hope I can keep showing good sumo."

Roho (1-2) over Takamisakari by yorikiri, 8.9 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------

(Applying totally unnecessary very obvious extra shove after Takamisakari was already out of the dohyo, resulting in Takamisakari flying out of the horizon.)

"Perhaps I saw his foot going out of the dohyo but my chin was up and it was hard to see. I felt he was still trying to stay in. So I was thinking, just in case. I am well aware it's not a thing to do. But just as I pushed him, he let go of me and it ended up the way it was. I understand it was all my fault."

Takamisakari (2-1) losing to Roho

---------------------------------------

"He just went through some tough time so I guess he was pretty irate already. It's not as if he tried to injure me or anything so I am not upset at all. There are times when you get too excited or too furious about something. It happens."

Odake oyakata, Roho's oyakata

-------------------------------------

"I'd like to apologiaze for his conduct today."

Hanaregoma oyakata, chief dohyo judge

------------------------------------------------

(Cautioning Roho's shisho Odake oyakata if some measure is not taken immediately, the Judging group will do it for him)

"If Roho stays indifferent or causes more infraction, we may have to take more stern measure ourselves. It was a serious breach of sumo manner."

(Roho and his brother Hakurozan, normally gentle soul, are both on a short leash. On day 2 Hakurozan was so upset after losing his bout when the mono-ii decision went against him that

he kicked a trash basket in the dressing room, damaging it severely.)

Homasho (1-2) over Kokkai by oshidashi, 8.3 seconds

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Finally getting his first win this basho)

"I was pushed back initially but I was able to move forward from that point. It's not about wins and losses for me but the quality."

Ama (3-0) over Toyonoshima by yorikiri, 8.0 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------

(A bit of problem against injured Toyonoshima)

"When you are facing an opponent with injury, you tend to become a bit overcautious. It got a bit scary when I got pushed to the dohyo edge. But even when I was riding on Tawara, I was not worried so much as I am used to doing it in training sessions all the time. We are both young so we are really motivated to do well."

(On Chiyotaikai bout tomorrow)

"Oh...I guess I'll have to keep my winning streak going then."

Toyonoshima (0-3) losing to Ama

---------------------------------------

"I had a great chance today but just as I was pushed back, I felt a sharp pain running through my ankle."

Kotomitsuki (3-0) over Aminishiki by koshikudake, 3.1 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Staying with Asofuji's move and seeing him self-destruct)

"I figured he would come up with something. I think I am responding well to my opponent's moves."

Kotooshu (3-0) over Tochiozan by yorikiri, 2.7 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Finally showing an ozeki sumo)

"It went just like I imagined it. I was able to step forward. That's all I was concerned about. I feel I am gradually improving. I had the best sumo today."

(Asked if he was nervous)

"On the dohyo, it really doesn't matter who your opponent is. I get nervous just the same."

Sadogatake oyakata

-------------------------

(Able to celebrate his 39th birthday with Kotooshu's win)

"The important thing for him is to secure the opponent's mawashi by 'Hari-zashi' or hitting him hard. It sure was a good birthday gift from him."

Hakuho (3-0) over Tamanoshima by kotenage, 7.1 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Rather forcefully throwing Tamanoshima with a kote-nage throw)

"Didn't I show a bit of power out there? I didn't have any reason to rush myself today. It won't do any good if I become too deliberate you know. I try not to overly concern myself with getting left uwate. I have become more stable. Probably getting married has contributed to making me calmer. "

Chiyotaikai (3-0) over Kotoshogiku by tsukidashi, 4.0 seconds

(Showing a sense of calm all around, even seeing a fly on Kotoshogiku's head)

"I noticed this big fly on the dohyo and it went up to Kotoshogiku's head. I figure it would be a bad idea to smashing into his head right about then so I took a deep breath and waited a while until it flied away. "

"Right now I am not wavering at all, worried or wondering what to do..."

"You know both Tochiazuma and I are born in 1976. It would be too much of load to carry if I say I win one for Tochiazuma as well but I am going out as if I am trying to do it. When you see another ozeki standing at the entrance of Hanamichi working as a guard, it does get to you. I am no longer at the point where I can complain about something hurts or itchy."

Kaio (3-0) over Kakizoe by yorikiri, 3.4 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------

(Having no problem setting aside Kakizoe)

"Well, you know I am moving much better right now. I am not backing down and I am taking more initiative. I would like to get an uwate obviously but there are times when things don't go your way. (On winning three straight) Not bad start at all, don't you think?"

Kisenosato (1-2) losing to Asashoryu by oshidashi, 2.5 seconds

(Losing decisively but still looking unperturbed)

"I had a good tachiai and hit him hard but anything after that was bad. I wasn't looking at my opponent. I stayed too high."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

---------------------------------------------------

(Looking a bit content seeing yokozuna and ozeki all winning again today)

"Just as always, to make the basho more exciting, you need to have all top ranking rikishi do well."

- The last time all yokozuna to sekiwake rikishi won the first three days of basho occurred at the 1934 January basho (but at the time yokozuna Tamanishiki and sekiwake Takanobori missed the basho so strictly it was the 1902 May basho when all rikishis above sekiwake and up on banzuke won the first three days).

Kotomitsuki (3-0) over Aminishiki by koshikudake, 3.1 seconds

(Staying with Asofuji's move and seeing him self-destruct)

"I figured he would come up with something. I think I am responding well to my opponent's moves."

Jonosuke forgot to mention that this was the first ever brothers tag team match. Mickey must have had his hands full..

Jonosuke forgot to mention that this was the first ever brothers tag team match. Mickey must have had his hands full..

Puroresu nitpick: That would be a handicap match, not a tag team match.

Puroresu nitpick: That would be a handicap match, not a tag team match.

Yes, 3 against two.

I apologise for my ignorance, but would somebody please mind explaining the following comment about Tochiazuma ;-)

Chiyotaikai

"/---/ When you see another ozeki standing at the entrance of Hanamichi working as a guard/---/"

i suppose you already know that Tochiazuma is retired from active sumo.

well ... usually (if not always) the first job a retired rikishi does after his intai is to guard the hanamichi from intruding fans. I guess Chiyotaikai saw Azuma guarding the hanamichi just before he went out to fight and he felt like he should win.