Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

Nice video! (Sign of approval...) One of the commentators has to John Jacques, a Hawaiian ama coach. He's the one with the microphone in this photo. He shows up in Newport, RI every year for a demonstration at the Black Ships Festival -- something I haven't missed for 12+ years. He's great at explaining the sport to the raw newbies who show up to see the show.

Edited by Takanorappa

Wow, this would be a video of the now extinct "North American Sumo Championships" from 1997, (with yes John Jacques "former head of Oahu Sumo club, and really nice guy if I may add"and some espn noob commentating.) This event used to be sponsored by "Michelin Tires", yet due to lack of patron turnout was canceled in 2002, (just one of the many big steps forward we've taken here in the States toward increasing the sports popularity....... (Sign of approval...))

Edited by Ryukaze

Well andrew is working to bringing things back. I just wish he was running nationals each year, id bet we would get it on espn again

Well andrew is working to bringing things back. I just wish he was running nationals each year, id bet we would get it on espn again

I'm sure Harry wouldn't approve! lol

Well its already going away from harry little by little, i think harry is concentrating more on the smaller tournaments. Its troy collins who is organizing the nationals this year. No idea how troy will do since hes never done a tournament before, but it cant be as bad (as far as number of spectators) as last years nationals.

So is Troy retired "officially" or does he still compete? I'm sorry to hear that the U.S. Nationals are starting to go down the tube too Sheesh......wish I lived closer to you guys.

Edited by Ryukaze