Sign in to follow this  
Leonishiki

Map of all Sumobeya

By the end of the period you mention all the heya should be gearing up for the basho that will start in Tokyo only a week later. You should be able to see some good action!

So -- I apologize for requesting clarification but this may be a once in a lifetime trip for me -- all the beyas will be in session August 18th-31st? If so, should I go closer to the beginning of my trip or the end? Thanks again!!! :-D

So -- I apologize for requesting clarification but this may be a once in a lifetime trip for me -- all the beyas will be in session August 18th-31st? If so, should I go closer to the beginning of my trip or the end? Thanks again!!! :-D

Looks like things are scheduled pretty late this year... The banzuke will be released September 1st, and the Aki basho starts September 14th, which will probably surprise Sasanishiki (I know it did me just now). The two weeks in between are usually the "hot" phase for watching practice, but I imagine there will be something going on in the days immediately prior to September 1st as well, assuming they're not still out in the countryside on a jungyo tour (unlikely, but there's no schedule yet AFAIK).

At any rate, I think scheduling your side trip to Tokyo towards the end of your stay will be a good idea, as around August 20-ish it's likely to be either jungyo time, or taking-things-easy time right after returning from jungyo.

By the end of the period you mention all the heya should be gearing up for the basho that will start in Tokyo only a week later. You should be able to see some good action!

The exact dates are not on the Kyokai website but they have provisionally allotted August 27 and 28 to the Ulaan Baatar tour. That would imply at least a day extra before and after for PR events for all top division men.

At any rate, I think scheduling your side trip to Tokyo towards the end of your stay will be a good idea, as around August 20-ish it's likely to be either jungyo time, or taking-things-easy time right after returning from jungyo.

There are Jungyo dates scheduled in northern Japan including a tour to Sapporo and Sendai between August 6 to August 14 for certain. Not sure after that but they must get ready to pack again so unless you check out the tour stops, the best time will be after Sept 1.

If you are flexible, there will be bound to be one or two heya with keiko sessions by lower ranked rikishi.

Looks like things are scheduled pretty late this year... The banzuke will be released September 1st, and the Aki basho starts September 14th, which will probably surprise Sasanishiki (I know it did me just now).

I am! I should have checked the official schedule, but I went on the Sunday closest to the 10th of the month rule, which I guess is only a guideline now that they are not follwoing it for this basho.

Im dragging up an old thread here but the initial post is a great resource and so I hope people don't mind.

I would like to know if most beyo will be active week commencing 3rd of June? As the basho will only have finished 8 days before I wondered if maybe they would still be taking it easy?

Hi all,

After a loooong time, I have finally updated the map with all the new changes during these months (well, really years). Please, feel free to telling me if you find any mistake with any address or any other data, specially with Musashigawa beya as I'm not sure if I put it correctly in the map.

BTW, here you have the short URL: tinyurl.com/22akpy

Edited by Leonishiki
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Musashigawa looks right Eduardo. Not been since it was Nakamura but looks OK

Cool. If you drop into street view near Nishikido beya you can actually see some of the rikishi outside chatting and stuff.

I think Shikoroyama has move and is now near Oguruma Kitanoumi and Otake?

Also Naruto just not became Taganoura but the heya has move to the old Mihogazeki Beya in Ryogoku.

I think Shikoroyama has move and is now near Oguruma Kitanoumi and Otake?

they did move some years back now. Have had a deal with one prominent hotel on asageiko viewing for a while I understand. Took a whole bunch of concierge types there 3 or 4 years back.

Thank you for all your answers. Does anybody know the exact address of both Naruto and Shikoroyama, to correct them in the map?

Some of the heya front gate / genkan pictures that you still don't have are available on wikipedia. Not all maybe, but a few that you mentioned that you still don't have.

suggestion:
Make the markers of each ichimon into different colors so we can see how the ichimons are spread out geographically.

• Like 2

I think Taganoura beya is not correct. If i remember well they have move to Ryogku some time ago. A little south of Kise and Dewanoumi and north of Oguruma.