Sign in to follow this  
Bealzbob

Hello to all

Just a quick hello to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Brian and I'm from the Republic of Ireland and have been a sumo fan on and off since probably 1990-ish. The 'off' was when British Eurosport stopped covering the sport. Now I follow it online reading sumotalk.com and I'm on the mailing list.

Welcome to the forum Brian (Hugging...)

Chuck in your salt (Chucking salt...) and join the fray!

Now I follow it online reading sumotalk.com and I'm on the mailing list.

The less you waste your time on that site, the better. Welcome to forum.

Now I follow it online reading sumotalk.com and I'm on the mailing list.

The less you waste your time on that site, the better. Welcome to forum.

Kotoseiya would obviously prefer that you waste your time here ;-)

Sumotalk.com is how I stumbled onto online sumo commentary, and it's not all bad as long as you don't use their trumped up opinions to form your own judgments. Once again, use ours instead! And take everything anyone tells you about sumo with many grains of chucked salt.

Welcome.

(...) it's not all bad as long as you don't use their trumped up opinions to form your own judgments.

That's exactly what I meant. I can't take seriously guys who explicitly claim that they treat ozumo like any other sport. That's where my ways part right away from theirs. They just might have some excellent stuff on their site, but the kind of ignorance they display about the very heart of the subject tells me it's most likely not worth seeking for a proper nugget of content.

Thanks to all for the kind welcome. I have learned that I am the 3rd Irish person on the site. And I've wasted no time in getting involved in the discussions :)

It's funny that you should mention not getting too wrapped up in sumotalk, because I obviously had no idea how their site was regarded by other sumo fans online. They do have pretty strong views on certain rikishi and I suppose through having no alternative viewpoint to look at, I have in some way assimilated some of those views. They have their favourites and their not-so-favourites. I do for example have a low opinion of Hokutoriki who they not-so-affectionately call Jokutoriki, and I get the impression they're not that gone on Chiyotaikai either. But they do have their moments, and they're not all bad, and I do owe them one for getting me more 'into' sumo.

I will however be spending far more time on here because obviously sumotalk is only active while a basho is in progress, so for the rest of the time I will be learning (or is that un-learning in the case of sumotalk) about the sport on here.

I look forward to taking everything with a huge handful of salt.

opinions on Hokutoriki are probably the same in all sumo-fandom.

anyway ... it's nice to read everything and make your own mind on the subject. I grew past the sumotalk view on sumo after a few months here.

I included yourself and Nirumaruyama in the 3. Who is the 4th ?

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you'll learn much, jump on in (as you seem to have done already) and just generally have a great time talking about sumo and other stuff.

Seems I missed it, :-D to the forum :-).