Sign in to follow this  
Afrozuna

Will Hakuho crumble ?

The talking heads will surely have fun. And what fuel this will add to the rivalry fire.

I don't know about the poetic part, but washing away all the anticipation for today's sumo like this... I, for one, was actually hoping to see some sumo, at the pinnacle of the banzuke.

Asashoryu wasn't ready for the last match, and Hakuho schooled him. Can't henka and not except instant karma!

I guess that summarizes the whole thread. Hakuho did not crumble. He took the perfect anti-crumble remedy - henka.

What a thoroughly disappointing Senshuraku. So many henkas and otherwise bad sumo from guys you would expect better from.

Actually, right before the kettei-sen, I was commenting to my girlfriend that I didn't think Hakuho had displayed very good sumo this tournament and yet always seemed to win. Then, as if I had just spoke of the devil, his worst sumo of the tournament reared its ugly head. Arggh!

Not that I was any happier with Asa's earlier henka, but one does not cancel the other out. In fact, it just makes it worse.

Oh well, I guess I still have Homasho, TochiO3, and Toyonoshima to cheer for.

I enjoyed the last bouts ...

Big henkas are sometimes more exciting than mediocre yorikiris.

I guess that summarizes the whole thread. Hakuho did not crumble. He took the perfect anti-crumble remedy - henka.

That's a funny one (Yusho winner...)

He did crumble at the very end though. After his interview, he forgot that he had to stick around and collect more trophies.

Big henkas are sometimes more exciting than mediocre yorikiris.

Spoken like a true sumo fan (Yusho winner...)

I feel so sorry for Kimura Shonosuke. Complete bullshit in his last day at the office. (Yusho winner...) :-(

I didnt, I thought today sucked especially the play off, what a boring anti climax to an otherwise interesting basho.

(Yusho winner...)

Any chance for a videos of these two bouts? (Yusho winner...)

Edited by Shimpu

I have to agree that it was entirely compelling sumo. Asashoryu pulled a fast one on Chiyotaikai, and had to be taught by a kid 4 years his junior about poetic justice.

The smirk on Hakuho's face and the feces-consuming grin on Asashoryu's was certainly worth it.

Ozumo? No. Great entertainment? I could have hardly asked for better.

I have to agree that it was entirely compelling sumo. Asashoryu pulled a fast one on Chiyotaikai, and had to be taught by a kid 4 years his junior about poetic justice.

The smirk on Hakuho's face and the feces-consuming grin on Asashoryu's was certainly worth it.

Ozumo? No. Great entertainment? I could have hardly asked for better.

Don't you mean "shit eating" grin you couldn't beat off with a stick? (Laughing...) In this instance it is most appropriate (Applauding...)

Like other art forms through the last century and this, sumo has passed into postmodernism. Yaocho, both real and imagined. Henka. It's sumo ironically commenting on itself. Those of us who love music and literature and visual arts as well as sumo have seen all this before.

Edited by Olenishiki

(Applauding...) Hakuho "henka'd the henka-ee!!!!" (Laughing...) If you looked down for a second, you would have missed the match! (First prize...) It was poetic justice at it's best ... (Applauding...)

Can't wait for all the "talk" at the YDC!! (Applauding...)

Guest vscottj

Ugh - what an anticlimax. When Asa henka'd, I was a little miffed because I wanted to see them go at it. But, I figured Asa was trying to save his energy for the inevitable playoff/showdown with Hakuho. Then Hakuho pulled the same shit - and that was surely because he didn't want to risk losing, imo. The basho got more and more exciting as days went on...then we fizzle out like an alka-seltzer tablet. All henkas come off looking cowardly no matter who performs them.

Any chance for a videos of these two bouts? :-S

sumoforum.net

click on Video Forum, you need to sign in.

Thanks (Sign of approval...) Glad videos are back.

I'm not saying this just to be contrary, but I feel exactly the opposite. Henka is the biggest Crumble I can imagine. You show up and there's no cookie at all, not even crumbs...maybe you're right, he didn't crumble; but vaporized.

sumoforum.net

click on Video Forum, you need to sign in.

Sono, you might want to change the text portion of that link, which reads sumoforum rather than info-sumo. Link is still correct, though.

"Henkas abound, Asa aground"

"Yokozuna has yusho stolen with own tricks"

Hah, I love this thread. Makes me glad I kept my mouth shut 'til the end 'cause I'd be in DEEP. :-) Seriously though, isn't it only now becoming a consiprator's wet dream?

The YDC comment above was funny as hell. It would only be too sweet if Hakuho became a Yokozuna next tournament on this henka.

The ending was great, enjoyable if not for the wrestling than for the thrills. The Kotooshu videos play like a bad blooper reel though. I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. Anyway, can't wait to see how a certain someone takes this in the next few months. Either Kisenosato is off the hook or he's really gonna get it.

(Dripping sweat...)

Oh, and congrats Hakuho. 13-2 says you're back, baby. ;-)

What a thoroughly disappointing Senshuraku. So many henkas and otherwise bad sumo from guys you would expect better from.

Actually, right before the kettei-sen, I was commenting to my girlfriend that I didn't think Hakuho had displayed very good sumo this tournament and yet always seemed to win. Then, as if I had just spoke of the devil, his worst sumo of the tournament reared its ugly head. Arggh!

Not that I was any happier with Asa's earlier henka, but one does not cancel the other out. In fact, it just makes it worse.

Oh well, I guess I still have Homasho, TochiO3, and Toyonoshima to cheer for.

Hakuho might have lost your vote, but he got one in return... err by cough Chiyotaikai cough (Dripping sweat...)

He did crumble at the very end though. After his interview, he forgot that he had to stick around and collect more trophies.

No excuse, a loss is a loss, remember? Don't you worry, there's still plenty left in Shoryu's tank to his road to 100 yusho...