Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Bathroom collision Shoryu Shoes on

Asashoryu collided with Kyokushuzan in the bathroom after day 8 bouts. Loss to Takamisakari had obviously put Asashoryu in bad mood and fierce argument arose between them. KaioU was present and interfered the dispute. Couple of on-line magazines report this incident and probably more on tomorrow's articles.

This is getting ridiculous. I am a big fan of Asashoryu, but he needs to get in line. Spirit is one thing, but this is going above and beyond.... :'-(

At the same time, I wonder whether their spat was in Japanese or Mongolian? When Kaio came in would they switch to Japanese? Or does one simply speak Japanese in Japan and Mongolian in Mongolia? :-P

I keep thinking that maybe the're staging all this to get attention. Maybe it's shoryus way of giving something back to his elders :'-(

I guess I just cant believe its true because its just so far out there. Crazy stuff.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/hochi/sports/jul/...20030713_10.htm

http://www.sanspo.com/morespo/top/more2003...2003071401.html

Silent by-pass, some mean gesture, elbow contact, escalating scene, KaioU intervening, Shuzan off the bathroom etc. Too modemy and tired to dig into this story in translation sense but maybe someone has the interest? Well ozumo has its tension couple now....

This is turning into a soap opera. Today, after the bouts, Asashouryuu went to the bath situated inside the stadium with KaioU. Asashouryuu is now being called "Hansoku Yokozuna" in the press. Asashouryuu was probably not in the best of moods, seeing as he was beaten by a robot in front of this basho's first full house. The robot is also overshadowing the Yokozuna in popularity. Zabutons were filling the air, and I mean filling the air..

As the pair (KaioU and Asa) were entering the bath, Shoes-on came out. "Hi", he called out to KaioU. Then he crossed paths with Asa. No words were spoken, but their right elbows (again, the elbows..) collided, pretty strongly, I gather."You idiot! Act like a normal human being! Is this the way you respect your elder (ani deshi)?", he said in Mongolian. (I wonder who translated this to the reporter).

Asa turned, and it looked like all hell was about to break loose. Kaiou saved the day, though, by yelling at them both, "Shuu, stop it! What do you guys think you're doing here??" as he stood between them. He then proceeded to oshidashi Shoes-on from the bath-room. Takamisakari, who was late getting to the bath because of the interviews he was giving out after his sensational victory, arrived, and was about to enter the bath, but seeing the "scary" atmosphere, was herded by his tsukebitos to another bath.

Asa tried to keep a lid on this story, but a very angry Shoes-on immediately told anyone who was interested in full detail about what had transpired. "I am really peeved. It's not enough that he broke my car's side mirror and has yet to apologise, now this. I tell you, if KaioU hadn't intervened, it would have turned out really ugly", he said, hinting he would have beaten the living daylights out of Asa.

The Yokozuna Deliberation Council will have it's hands full come next Monday, for sure.

Side note: If Shoes-on would have beaten Tochiazuma, and Kaiou would have lost, Shoes would have been the one to give Asa the chikaramizu today, which could have been interesting to watch..

Apparently,beforehand, Shoes- on sent his tsukebito to ask Tochiazuma to switch the bath sides so as not to see Asa, but was refused.

"I'd like to see all this settled. It's about time both Asa and Shuu grew up", sighed guest gyoji of the day KaioU.

Reporter adds that if strongman KaioU wouldn't have been there, he doesn't see how the inevitable fight could have been stopped..

Picture of both guys coming out of the bath:

0713asasyoryu2.jpg

1) OK, they speak Mongolian. :'-(

2) Asa really should apologize about the door mirror. (Oops! )

3) What are the options that the Y.D. Council has at its disposal to deal with Asashoryu? Is there precedent for this kind of soap opera?

I for one, haven't been so interested in a basho, on a day by day, (or even minute by minute) basis in a long time. Maybe since around 1995 or so, when a couple of brothers and a certain snarling Hawaiian were tearing up the Dohyo.

Thanks Takanobaka, good point. I didn't know the extent of Futahaguro's craziness until I went and reviewed it. Wild. I guess Asa hasn't gone that far... yet. I can't wait to see what the Council does.

Interesting to note that in Futahaguro's case, he wasn't really disciplined by the Council or anyone. He ran away and was retired by his oyakata, so I still wonder what the Council will do...

Isn't Kyokushuzan being just a little bit "theatrical" about this all? Like the way he stood there and flopped his mage around? A bit of the pro-wrestling "he pulled my hair" acting going on there? And now, strangely, Asashoryu tried to exercise a little (of course, too little, too late though) discretion after their exchange in that bath, but Kyoku runs out and immediately starts talking to the reporters about it? Something is up with these two, it is just too...something...

I see pepsi commercials in the future, for both of them...

Isn't Kyokushuzan being just a little bit "theatrical" about this all? Like the way he stood there and flopped his mage around? A bit of the pro-wrestling "he pulled my hair" acting going on there? And now, strangely, Asashoryu tried to exercise a little (of course, too little, too late though) discretion after their exchange in that bath, but Kyoku runs out and immediately starts talking to the reporters about it? Something is up with these two, it is just too...something...

I see pepsi commercials in the future, for both of them...

I'm inclined to agree... Remember Asashoryu has a couple of brothers in pro wrestling as well, and Kyokushuzan was in on the first recruitment of Asashoryu. I can't help but think that they make more of it than there really is. The elbow on the rear view mirror and the meeting yesterday seems a bit... much... to me...

But it's pretty much impossible to say. It's just for us to watch the show ;-)

What happened with the rear-view mirror?

I think too much is being made out of it, both by the rikishi themselves (Asashoryu must have been very upset by his loss, so any little things like elbows rubbing would have gotten an out of propotion reaction) and by the media.

I wonder if this will increase attendance at the rest of this basho and future tournaments as well. I don't personally watch them, but I still acknowledge soap operas appeal to a large percentage of the world...

I wonder if this will increase attendance at the rest of this basho and future tournaments as well. I don't personally watch them, but I still acknowledge soap operas appeal to a large percentage of the world...

Still, I doubt that the Kyokai or Oyakata are involved. There's a really thin line that sumo treads to keep the rikishi respectable, and once it gets too crazy, if it stays that way, it will suffer in the long run as people will start to look at it as 'fat men in daipers taking out their aggressions'.

Either way, if it does increase attendance, it will probably only be for the next Shoryu-Shuzan match...

I wonder if this will increase attendance at the rest of this basho and future tournaments as well.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

I did not mean to suggest the NSK is stirring up controversy on purpose -- I don't think that's the case ;)

The NSK is responsible for upholding the integrity of the sprot, and the conduct of yokozuna is a key aspect of this. However, the NSK is also responsible for bringing crowds in to watch, raising revenue, etc. I trust the NSK leadership to maintain a proper balance between the two...

I don't think this kind of publicity will actualy draw new fans to sumo. And if it does, I wonder what kind of fans will they be. (Applauding...) >(Blushing...)

While I don't know how much "theatrics" are being played out here, I do think that something is wrong with these two.

While I admit that there is no excuse for Asashoryu's actions in damaging the rear-view mirror on that car, and I won't defend him for it, I think Shuzan is much more to blame for what has transpired here.

It almost seems like, at least to me, that he is going out of his way to incite and agitate Asashoryu. From his incredibly disrespectful comments during last basho, when he insinuated that he had been "taking it easy" on Asa during their past bouts (as if Asa couldn't have beaten him otherwise), to his actions this basho as stated above. It's almost like he wants to embarress the Yokozuna.

Theatrics or not, this is starting to get ridiculous. Someone should tell them they are acting more like Vince McMahon's WWE wrestlers than Sumotori. (Applauding...)

Edited by Zentoryu