Sign in to follow this  
Iwagakki

all about me....

(Paragraph edited out due to Iwagakki's request.)

Speaking of living. We all live in Kora-cho in Shiga, Japan. However, I have a studio in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and I "commute" to work.

Sumo is a hot topic around our house. Keiko's grandfather and I are big sumo fans, and can talk about it all day, especially during a basho. Keiko, on the other hand, can't stand sumo. She thinks it's for "old people" and all that sort of thing. Apparently, a lot of young Japanese people think sumo is, well, stupid.

Strangely, she knows, or at least works with, rikishi all the time. She is a school teacher in a small town called Koto-cho, near out home, and arranges Sumo appearances in her prefecture all the time. So she gets to meet all sorts of them. Just before this last Basho, (Nagoya 03) she spent a day or two working with Futeno, when he came to her classes to be with the kids. Not long before that, she had Kinkaiyama, Toyozakura AND Kitazakura in her classes for a few days. Can you believe that? Some people have all the luck. And don't even know it.

Well, she gets me Tegata and pictures from them all, and that makes me happy.

My favorite rikishi is Kaio. I am forever impressed by his "steadiness" and his amazing strength. Sure he has lapses in concentration, and gets beat by much lower ranked wrestlers on the first few days of a Basho, but he always shows his stuff later. Plus it's fun to watch him in full "bulldozer" mode, when he's healthy.

I really like Takamisakari too. But, then, how could you not. Anyone seen the beer commercials? Sumo needs more atheletes like Takamisakari. He might never be a Yokozuna, but he will take Sumo to a new, very charming, level.

Well, that's about it for me. I could write about it forever, and I suppose I will, but in my posts.

Edited by Rijicho

Great to have you, Tado! LOL, here we are, non-Japanese fans who make up Japanese sounding names, and here you are, bearing a Japanese name, making up a non-Japanese one! :-) Or did I understand that wrong? (Applauding...)

In any event, welcome. Indeed, that's pretty cool, wife Keiko and son Kaio (I am sure you'll hear from our deshi Kaikitsune about that VERY soon!) ;) Looking forward to hearing the occasional "You'll never guess who was at Keiko's school today!

Have fun in the forum, and don't forget to try out some of them sumo games, too ;)

Cheers!

Zenjimoto

I make musical instruments out of stone, which isn't such a bad way to make a living.

Yes, it seems I read it correctly... Stone? Stone?!? :-) (Applauding...) (Hugging...)

Please tell us more!

I too would like to wish you welcome to the forum.

And by the way. Super cool instruments. Really beautiful. I dont think I've ever seen anything like it before.

Welcome aboard Toddefoe,chuck in your rock salt and join the fray.

Welcome to the forum (Applauding...) (Clapping wildly...)

Very cool instruments, a fascinating hobby/job.

It's great to have a(nother) sumo fan who lives in Japan at least part of the time...