Sign in to follow this  
Iwagakki

Dumb story I heard

I was in the library at my office the other day and I heard some people laughing. I went to see what it was about, and they were talking about this local lady, Violet who was getting married, or had been married recently, I don't remember which. She was to be married to a man named Joe Weiner, and the engagement was almost callled off, and she wanted him to change his name, because she didn't want to known as Violet Weiner. True story....

These unfortunate names come up from time to time. My youngest sister once had a friend named Anita Dyck. Her father's name was (no joke) Harry. Immigrant family. Things do not always translate nice and cleanly.

These unfortunate names come up from time to time. My youngest sister once had a friend named Anita Dyck. Her father's name was (no joke) Harry. Immigrant family. Things do not always translate nice and cleanly.

I once worked with a man whose given name was Cliff Hanger.

Not so bizzare but you have to wonder about some parents. I knew someone called Dermot McDermot.

I have a friend in Japan who is a young mother who has named her two kids 夢中 and 素敵.

I pity them when they start school.

You don't have to be "Western" to be a hippy (Sign of approval...)

I once worked with a man whose given name was Cliff Hanger.

Cliiiiiifff Hangerrr, hanging from a cliffff, and that's why they call him CLIIIIIFFF HAAAAAANNNNGGGERRRRRRR!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's from a kids show on PBS.....

The strangest/funniest case I've heard is unfortunately in Croatian: a woman whose first name was Vesela (Merry) after her marriage was Vesela Le

Merry Cadaver.

Nice. She even has her own holiday in Germany. (Sign of approval...)

("Corpus Christi" in German is a homophone to merry cadaver.)

i don't know about first/last name combinations but i always laughed when i watched premiership bouts which included players like Windass and Horsefield.

te Spanish football player Munitis has a weird name because it sounds like the greek traslation of "her c**t" (Sign of approval...)

Merry Cadaver?

Thats worse than the lady who was called Mary Christmas......

Not as funny but my mates parents where called Ron Self and May Self......

i don't know about first/last name combinations but i always laughed when i watched premiership bouts which included players like Windass and Horsefield.

te Spanish football player Munitis has a weird name because it sounds like the greek traslation of "her c**t" (I am not worthy...)

For sports names gone wrong, I've never been able to top American football linebacker Dick Butkus (of da Bears). Due to generally vague American English pronunciation, it usually sounds like Dick Butkiss. He could have gone by Richard, but I guess he was too tough to back down on that one . . .

"The Most Feared Man in the Game"

My cousins also suffered from poor American pronunciations with the surname Heiskell (easily distorted as Highschool). Out of 5 children growing up in West Virginia, mispronunciation capital of the world, they had Skip Heiskell and Justin Heiskell.

[@Otokonoyama: I know at least 10 people who claim to know Anita and Harry Dyck/ Dick. They must be very popular! I won't directly impugn your honor, but I'd need to see the marriage certificate to believe you 100% (Sign of approval...) ]

Edited by kaiguma

Well these are not so funny in Finland but Henna is a nice Finnish woman's name and Aho is very common last name. So Henna Aho is not so unusual. Henna Ahos are quite young I think as Henna is not that old name I think so Henna Aho could well go to Japan as exchange student!

"Give a warm welcome to Henna Aho from Finland!". In japanese henna is adjective meaning "odd", "strange" and "aho" means idiot. So odd idiot from Finland. We also had a prime minister whose name was Esko Aho and he made visits to Japan too. "kakka" is Japanese and is used in formal situations when referring to some prestigious guest as in "Bush-kakka" or "Putin-kakka" or "Kintamayama-kakka" but in Finnish kakka means shit or poo so if Mr Aho was introduced as "Aho-kakka", it has a melodious interlinquistical comedy which would hit home with Wakanoho too I bet.

Some years ago some Czech minister came to Finland and his name was paska (may have had those peculiar Czech umlauts or so). Paska means shit in Finnish in a more vulgar way than kakka. It was funny too.

Classic Finnish name blooper is Anu Saukko. Both Anu (as first name) and Saukko (as last name) are legitimate Finnish names but when said in normal way in a row as in "I am Anu Saukko", it sounds like anusaukko which means anal orifice. There actually are Anu Saukkos in Finland I think.

A workmate of mine swears a Heli Kopteri was his classmate. A classmate of mine was named Marko Lukka. His father's name was Erkki and true enough, the label on his mailbox read E. Lukka (elukka, animal in Finnish).

Legend has it that Italy planned to send a Luigi Vi**u to work in their Finnish embassy, possibly even as an ambassador (not sure about the exact title). (Vi**u, f**k). They changed plans.

Well, if we're starting with these-we have thousands of them in Hebrew, which won't work here..

English people I knew: (These are all MINE-originals-some very lame..)

The guy in debt -Willie Pay

The guy in debt 2 - Owen Money

The waitress - Phyllis Cup

The fancy dresser - Dan Dee

The unfaithful husband - Will Deny

The mathematician - Adam Up

The Shakespearean - Toby Ornotoby

The jailbreaker - Scott Frey

The fortuneteller - Marcus Word

The vacationer - Holly Day

The curious - Izzy Cumming

The curious' brother - Willie Show

And the Japanese guys:

The lawyer - Ben Goshi

The sumo wrestler - Rick Shee

The exhibitionist - June Gyou

The high ranker's wife - Mae Gashira

The middle-ranker - Mac Ushita

The low rankers - Joe Nokuchi and Joe Nidan

The missing - Q. Joe

The Chinese basketball player's brother who cheats - Yao Cho (LAME!!!!)

The female head of the YDC - Yoko Shin

The undecided - Moe Noii

Enough.. :-)

Edited by Kintamayama

It's Spring Training time for baseball and one team, Houston Astros has their home base in Osceola County Stadium in Kissimmee Florida, near Orlando.

They also have a minor league team named Kissimmee Cobras. The team name has been changed from Kissimmee Astros.

Try saying the name quickly and you know why they needed to change the team name.

Edited by Jonosuke

My soon-to-be brother-in-law's friend is Phil McCracken (no joke, and actually christened Phillip). He is known to most as P-Mac for obvious reasons.

Some years ago some Czech minister came to Finland and his name was paska (may have had those peculiar Czech umlauts or so). Paska means shit in Finnish in a more vulgar way than kakka. It was funny too.

Let me correct it just a little. There was none Czech minister with such a name. There is a famous Czech football-players agent Paska with no hooks and strokes in his name (he has Baros, Rosicky, Koller under contract) who than will be s**t in Finnish. The guy you were writing about should have been Slovak minister of health Pavol Paska with a hook upon his s, which is than read like "Paschka".

To get back on topic, my wife was telling me about family with German surname Hart, whose one member with joking parents was called Lev (real Czech name but quite archaic at the moment). Together it gets Lev Hart which means Leo Pard in English.

Edited by Pikenoyama

Jerker is quite a common first name in Sweden / Swedish-speaking families... Of course when it's pronounced the Swedish way, doesn't sound embarrassing at all, but for the poor exchange students in English-speaking countries...

Living here in the Gaijin house, somebody was saying "popo" - in German, a slang (cute slang) for ass. In Korean it means Kiss, in Hindu I forgot, but something funny, and Police Man in American English- so somebody made a song out of it.. "popo the popo's popo" :-)

Life is bigger than fiction. I just found out there is an ex-Jonidan pro-wrestler called Johnny Dan. (or Johnny Dunne, I only have the Japanese virgin..)