Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

A New Book on Sumo

The publisher of Sumo magazine has just come up with a new intro book (but more like a magazine) on Ozumo and it's called " 新しいファンのための相撲観戦入門" (A Primer on Sumo Watching for the New Fans). The book just came out on January 10 this year.

I don't see it on Amazon Japan so I am not sure where you can get the copy except in Japan or from Baseball Magazine Sha's website which is kind of difficult to figure out.

Certain sections are in English, "translated" by your current favorite magazine publisher (well at least it appears to be) Clyde Newton.

Since I don't have the book myself I really cannot comment but it's always nice to have a new updated book on Sumo as it includes sumo heya maps, lists of yusho and sansho winners etc.

I just realized that Clyde's old book Dynamic Sumo was published by Kodansha, the publisher of Shukan Gendai.

Perhaps Clyde can give them a few pointers in case they go to the court soon...

I've got that. It was for sale at the Kokugikan in January. It costs Y1,000, and the English title is stated as "Grand Sumo Guide Book for First Timers" "With English Translation Guide". Actually, the English "translations" are spotty, at best, and should have been proofread (Blinking...) They consist mostly of describing the various sumo terms, i.e., gyoji, jungyo, mage, etc. and are in very small print at the bottom of some pages. This is more like a magazine, rather than a book.

There are color and B&W photos of current rikishi as well as vintage, the various kimarite, the last 40 yokozuna, Futeno getting his hair done, etc.

There are also seating charts for the four venues, but not detailed enough for someone who would want to consult the chart when purchasing tickets. Area maps showing the locations of the heya are also included, but in Japanese.

I will be going in May, and if anyone wants one, please contact me personally at my eBay address, sumobaba1@aol.com. I will be happy to purchase them and send them out to you at cost, assuming they are still available.

(Blinking...) I wanted to buy some Sumo mags, and now, reading your post, Jonosuke, I just realized that I bought what you are writing about. Ooops (I didn't find time to look inside until now...)

The greatest thing about it is, that it has little painted maps to find the Heya, links to Sumoblogs- some I didn't know before,big map of Ryogoku, a Banzuke....and a bit English as Barbara wrote.

A good one that will help me going on studying Kanji...honestly I was doing nothing not-Sumo or work related the last few months...

Edited by ilovesumo

Some more pics from the book, quite a nice little one ... seems we are making some advertising (Sign of approval...)

Bild%20175.jpg

Bild%20177.jpg

Bild%20178.jpg

Bild%20179.jpg

Bild%20180.jpg

Bild%20181.jpg