Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

New Zealand

Today an incident in my brain triggered a desire to learn about New Zealand. Didn't know that much about that obscure country. Now I have studied maori history, Cook history, geographical details, international relations, agricultural structure and tourism of the country. Wouldn't make any sense to write an essay on New Zealand here in this era of Wikipedia and numerous sources on and off-line. Yet will summarize the repercussions of my New Zealand 2 hour session.

Maori is largely unknown aboriginal people for many I bet. The movie Once were warriors from 90s was my first time to hear about maori. They are minority in New Zealand nowadays. Haka dance is the feature that strikes out. All Blacks (the national team of New Zealand in rugby) performs one form of haka with vigour prior to their international games. It is a good dance. Should learn to do it. Majestetical in a different way than yokozuna dohyo-iri. Maori signed the famous Treaty of Waitangi in 1840 with British and that gave British the sovereignity but also eternal rights to Maori to their own land. Yep yep. Interpretations problems are rampant though.

New Zealand is over 2000km from Australia. Lonely country. Export very important and standard of living high on average. Population less than Finland which is not much and about 30% or so smaller than Finland or Japan. Auckland is big city. Sheep don't run around the streets there.

New Zealand has extremely boring weather conditions. Relatively stable temperature througout the year and differences between winter, spring, autumn and fall are pathetic compared to Finland or other countries with appropriate climate. There is difference, however, between northern part and southern part of the country.

Should visit New Zealand sometimes. It is so far away from others so would be interesting and it is always dropping to the down side of the globe and that has special fascination.

I don't remember how many active sumoforum members are from New Zealand.

Edited by Sasanishiki

I don't remember how many active sumoforum members are from New Zealand.

Two, if I remember correctly: Sasanishiki and the other guy. ;-)

New Zealand is a very interesting thing to me. I have no concept of what is there, except a couple of islands somewhere by Australia.

One of my favorite movies, "Babe" was filmed on location in New Zealand. Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed there as well. Peter Jackson is a member of the New Zealand tribe.

New Zealanders are big rivals in America's Cup sailing race. NZL-32 was a work of art.

Michael Campbell is a golfer from NZ, who won the 2005 US Open.

I think New Zealand must be a well kept secret. It seems like a fine place to be from.

I spent Christmas and New Year in New Zealand a few years back (I have loads of kiwi relatives). It is beautiful.

It is one of the easiest places in the world to hitchhike :-) (and I've hitchhiked in about 50 countries - so have some idea about good and bad hitchhiking places....). Most seem willing to give you a lift, and as it is so underpopulated, with only a few major dwelling places, the chances are that whoever gives you a lift, will be going to the same place as you anyways.

Yes, proudly a New Zealander and nice to be identified as the most obvious NZer on this forum!!

Sekihiryu is also a Kiwi, although based in Japan. We've met at the past two World Sumo Champs in Osaka - Sekihiryu as a spectator and photographer and me as NZ team manager. We differ over a few things regarding our country politically, socially etc, but get on reasonably well.

There was another NZ guy (Kasugaran maybe) who had lived in South Korea and was a fan of Kasugao. I haven't heard from him on the forums lately. Anybody else out there

Its tops on my list of countries to visit, though the plane cost and time to get there is quite daunting. Some of my favorite movies were filmed in NZ:

LOTR trilogy of course

The Price of Milk

Whale Rider(a very informative film about Maori living in current times)