Sign in to follow this  
Yuriyama Ren

Interview with Baruto

Id say go with the doctors in estonia. Come back 100%. Then be the only guy to have two zensho yusho in juryo.

Id say go with the doctors in estonia. Come back 100%. Then be the only guy to have two zensho yusho in juryo.

I played out the same scenario in my head . . . But it occurred to me that he might lose 1 or 2 or 3 bouts down in Juryo. I still think he'd probably yusho, but I doubt he'll have another zensho. there. Actually I really doubt it because I'm fairly certain he'll get back on the dohyo in March and post double digits from lower Maegashira, even while injured. He did the same in Kyushu.

Yeah, but this injury is more serious. Torn ACL? Whenever i see that in any other sports, its a LOT longer layoff than 2, or even 4 months. And its not like were talking sports that require less effort than sumo.

If he was 100%, i think he could take zensho.....because 100% now is even better than his 100% when he did do zensho. It would be like kotomitsuki or another sanyaku level guy being sent down to juryo. Of course, someone coudl pull a henka or some other strnage thing, but id say the chances of zensho would be better now than when he actually did it. :)

Torn ACL?

Has anyone confirmed this? I've only heard Dr. Kaikitsune's video analysis, which I do instinctively trust, btw.

If he was 100%, i think he could take zensho.....because 100% now is even better than his 100% when he did do zensho. It would be like kotomitsuki or another sanyaku level guy being sent down to juryo. Of course, someone coudl pull a henka or some other strnage thing, but id say the chances of zensho would be better now than when he actually did it. :)

Unfortunately he will probably never be 100% the Baruto who zenshoed in Juryo, by any measure. Technically he has not really improved much at all sense then. He did impress with better footwork on day 1, and that allowed him to beat Miyabiyama, but day 3 we all saw how lacking are his basics. Mentally he will never be as confident as he was for that basho. He's been crushed over and over again, sometimes by guys smaller than he is. Even Ama has beaten him, and it wasn't by luck as many suggested. Now, when he goes in for the brute force kill, he hesitates for just a moment too long. And finally, if it really is ACL rupture or tear, he will never be physically 100%, but more like 80-95% depending on the humidity and temperature. Every time he reinjures himself you can drop the bottom-end of that figure another 5 or 10. It's just the sad reality; there's not much hope for the lad.

To return from the land of wild speculations, many thanks for the transcription! :-D Nice to know what's on Bart's mind these days.

Baruto injury last September was officially labeled "damage to lateral collateral ligament (LCL) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) of the left knee."

His most recent injury in January was "damage to ACL of left knee."

The Kyokai did not specify to the extent of the "damage," but I'd be surprised if the ACL is not torn after he aggravated the injury in Hatsu Basho.

Yuriyama Ren-san

Thank you for the translation.

One thing is certain: I won't stay in Japan.

It means that Baruto is not interested in having his own Heay... :-D

Well it is written in the article what's wrong with his knee but it's unfortunately beyond my translating capabilities..

It's something like partial damage to some ligament and some damage to meniscus.. The doc recommends not to run, not to kneel and not to do squats. The injury should take 3 months to heal.

Well it is written in the article what's wrong with his knee but it's unfortunately beyond my translating capabilities..

It's something like partial damage to some ligament and some damage to meniscus.. The doc recommends not to run, not to kneel and not to do squats. The injury should take 3 months to heal.

Thanks for the translation, and this extra bit as well. You might not have said it like a doctor would have, but I'd say your translation capabilities are pretty good.

Notice how an Estonian doctor (i.e. not a Kugikan Doc) says 3 months instead of 2 months to heal. I think I know which one is better advice . . . (Shaking head...)

Edited by kaiguma

What does it mean when something requires "3 months to heal"? It doesn't mean that the knee is healthy in 3 months time. It may mean that on average the tissue damage had recovered well enough to warrant a "close enough to maximum healing potential" but after that you have the functional healing which may take much longer and during the healing process, the knee is much more susceptible for more injuries as it is not in normal state and weakened with scar tissue. This fact itself is enough to predict problems for Baruto. Combined with Baruto's style and evident intention to get back in Haru, the probability of Kaiguma's projection (reinjuries in a row, decreasing genki percentage) becomes more likely than healing. "Partial ACL injury" is a bit odd diagnosis if that ligament refers to the ACL and not the lateral ligament which was told to be injured partially too. ACL works as a whole. Partial ACL-injury is rare and functionally it may be as bad as full ACL tear unless it is really a small tear which is very very unlikely considering that level of pain, discomfort and lack of ability to stand on the leg after the reinjury. Menisci injury is the lesser evil although if you look at Aminishiki's struggle and Hakurozan, it can become quite a burden too. Hence my guess still is that he will burn down in flames and will either opt for surgery and absence of 6 months from dohyo or always rehabilitates his injury conservatively and has ever worsening stability there. Then he may develop a style which puts his other knee in jeopardy too.

I got this heavy black wig and sunglasses that I use to sneak into a night club to get a break sometimes.

I will say even with this sunglasses and black wig, he 'd be quickly discovered.

Will he or won't he stay in Japan?

I don't think he will stay with the Kyokai but otherwise his "professional ties" will be in Japan if he stays for another ten years competing. He may be an ozeki or even yokozuna, then things will change.

Let's say he retires around 32 years old or so. What he will do for the next 30 years or so of his life after leaving the Kyokai? Sure he can visit Siberia or Brazil but the question is how easily can he start a new career at that age? Going back to a nighclub bouncer?

More likely he will turn to K-1 or PRIDE or professional wrestling which can earn him a good chunk of money and afford him more freedom than staying with the Kyokai (of course opening up an Estonian chanko restaurnat is always an option). He can still maintain a home in Estonia or anywhere else if he wishes but I believe his base still will be in Japan.

Things do change and his current thinking will too once he is faced with the prospect of retirement 10 or so years from now.

Let's say he retires around 32 years old or so. What he will do for the next 30 years or so of his life after leaving the Kyokai? Sure he can visit Siberia or Brazil but the question is how easily can he start a new career at that age? Going back to a nighclub bouncer?

"At that age"??? That's odd. I don't think that is such an "age" Just beginning, really. 20's are just for practice, and having fun.

Perhaps he is thinking, (as young men should) that Sumo is an interesting opportunity for him to see the world and it's something to do in the meantime, until he decides what he wants to be when he grows up.

It is a rarity for anyone to actually have a true "career" or any real sense of what they are about before that age anyway. So many people switch paths at around mid to late 30's and even 40's, it's normal. Perhaps not in sumo, or in Japan. But that isn't the whole world.

I think Baruto will be like nearly all other pro athletes, and find some business to enter into after the short segment of life as a pro athlete. Maybe he will open a car dealership in Talinn. (Like John Elway in Denver) Which will make a lot of money for him over the rest of his life. Maybe he will just fade away, and become a bakery owner, and talk about old sumo days sometimes. Maybe he will be an interesting Oyakata.

Whatever, I think he will have a very cool life, and do all sorts of unlikely things. Maybe K-1 or Pride. Maybe not. But what fun it can be, huh?

Sumo and NSK isn't the only thing, and probably not the best thing for a spirited young man like Baruto to think is the only life he can have.

I got this heavy black wig and sunglasses that I use to sneak into a night club to get a break sometimes.

I will say even with this sunglasses and black wig, he 'd be quickly discovered.

Will he or won't he stay in Japan?

I don't think he will stay with the Kyokai but otherwise his "professional ties" will be in Japan if he stays for another ten years competing. He may be an ozeki or even yokozuna, then things will change.

More likely he will turn to K-1 or PRIDE or professional wrestling which can earn him a good chunk of money and afford him more freedom than staying with the Kyokai (of course opening up an Estonian chanko restaurnat is always an option). He can still maintain a home in Estonia or anywhere else if he wishes but I believe his base still will be in Japan.

Things do change and his current thinking will too once he is faced with the prospect of retirement 10 or so years from now.

We'll never get back home :'-(

my guess still is that he will burn down in flames and will either opt for surgery and absence of 6 months from dohyo or always rehabilitates his injury conservatively and has ever worsening stability there. Then he may develop a style which puts his other knee in jeopardy too.

Informed about the dire forecast for Bart's future by SF's very own Dr. Fox, Onoe Oyakata immediately went out and hired a tutor to help him learn the proper way to fall and roll. The world-renowned Kotori Sensei (小鳥先生) specializes in what are considered hopeless cases that no one else would touch, such as Roho's manners, Michelle Wie's putting, and Shaq O'Neal's shooting.

The amazing tutor demonstrating his skills.

Edited by madorosumaru

The world-renowned Kotori Sensei (小鳥先生) specializes in what are considered hopeless cases that no one else would touch, such as Roho's manners, Michelle Wie's putting, and Shaq O'Neal's shooting.

The amazing tutor demonstrating his skills.

;-) ;-) so a little extension in the instruction repertoire for my favourite russian/ossetian

"make a bow, make a bow, make ............"

Edited by Fay

Well baruto doesnt seem very optimistic about his recovery time, if he says that, he might miss next basho, putting him in juryo, but then even with all that time off, he mentions the possibility of a "failed basho" in the next one to send him to makushita. Is he just exaggerating or saying, that even with the time off, its possible hes still only at like 70% the next basho? (what i estimate the strength of baruto would need to be at for him to get a bad makekoshi in low juryo)

I hope he is at least doing some things to keep his stamina up (wading in a pool perhaps?), and also taking some time to work on upper body strength...not that he needs it, but might as well stay in shape, and work on the muscles he can

This is not a verbatim translation but it will give you an idea of what was said. Baruto's pronunciation is quite good but he mumbles a lot and is hard to understand at times.

The interview was from a past basho when he faced a series of ozeki. In this bout, he was victorious since the announcer congratulated him at opening.

The announcer questioned his tachiai, which probably was hesitant. Baruto said he thought the opponent would come at him harder. He mumbled something about not being able to get the mawashi as he wanted. The announcer then said, "You are so big. Why don't you just stand up [to the guy] and receive [his charge] and proceed from there?"

Baruto explained his performance by saying his back was really sore ever since his bout with Kotomitsuki. He couldn't put any pressure on the back at all.

The announcer then asked how he felt about fighting the ozeki bunch everyday. Baruto's answer: "They are very different [from the others]. In tachiai and so forth." (then he mumbled some more)

Announcer: "You must be getting more confidence." Bart: "Well, I've been winning some and losing some. I suppose I am getting more confident."

The interview ended as the announcer wished Bart best luck for kachi-koshi.

Baruto explained his performance by saying his back was really sore ever since his bout with Kotomitsuki. He couldn't put any pressure on the back at all.

The announcer then asked how he felt about fighting the ozeki bunch everyday. Baruto's answer: "They are very different [from the others]. In tachiai and so forth." (then he mumbled some more)

Announcer: "You must be getting more confidence." Bart: "Well, I've been winning some and losing some. I suppose I am getting more confident."

Kotooshu actually and that was when he dropped from the dohyo. His mumbling after "tachiai and so" was "sumou umai kara ne"..their (ozeki) sumo is skillful.

Baruto has a nice habit of blowing a word every now and then! Gasping air while saying it. Cool.

Kotooshu actually and that was when he dropped from the dohyo. His mumbling after "tachiai and so" was "sumou umai kara ne"..their (ozeki) sumo is skillful.

Baruto has a nice habit of blowing a word every now and then! Gasping air while saying it. Cool.

Speaking after beating Shunketsu on Tuesday (22nd May):

"He's a little bit fast.... I am trying to change my start, but it is always the same."

About the knee:

"It is good. Today was a little bit dangerous" (he put it under a fair bit of pressure winning the bout.)

He also is pretty sure he is going to win the juryo division, but he wasn't saying so in so many words. smile, nod, then deny...

I apologize if someone else has mentioned this, I tried to search for it.

Looks like Baruto is now wearing an oichomage in the dohyo.