Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Rikishi Debriefed on Yaocho

The Sumo Competition Inspection Committee has been holding debriefing sessions regarding the yaocho accusations since Jan. 22. Tomozuna Oyakata (former sekiwake Kaiki), chair of the committee, and Isegahama Oyakata (former maegashira Katsuhikari), along with the Kyokai attorney, have been questioning the individuals named in the weekly magazine which accused Asashoryu of yaocho.

So far, they have questioned Takasago Oyakata (former ozeki Asashio), Ryu's shisho, Kotomitsuki, Miyabiyama, Kotoshogiku, and Kokkai. All have categorically denied the accusation. The committee will summon the ozeki group on the 29th and the yokozuna on the 30th. Once the debriefing is completed, Tomozuna Oyakata will report the findings to the rijicho. Meantime, the subject will come up for discussion at the Kyokai board meeting scheduled on the 25th.

Tomozuna Oyakata said, "We would like to use this opportunity to put an end to the kind of sumo that would raise suspicion. We are not going to ignore the matter. We are going to deal with it thoroughly."

Seven years ago, when former komusubi Itai brought up the yaocho question, 18 sekitori and two oyakata were questioned by the NSK.

"Say It Ain't So, Miyabi."

Miya-babe has been laying low for a spell. There hadn't been any updates to his blog since the middle of the basho. His fans were getting concerned and wrote in, "Please tell us what's going on." Almost all were in support: "We trust you. We don't believe all that nonsense in the magazine." However, a few wanted him to clear the air: "You owe us fans an explanation."

Miyabi finally posted an entry yesterday. He had been sick in bed with a cold ever since the end of the basho. He finally was able to get back on his feet. He thanked his fans for all the support and said that despite his poor record last basho, he had no regrets because he gave it his all. As for what's in the weekly magazine, the Kyokai is taking care of that. The blog is a place for friendly exchange between him and the fans so he is going to refrain from commenting on that subject.

BTW, Musashigawa Beya is going on a trip to Hawaii in February. Because of that, they will give up part of this week's off-time to restart keiko early.

More details are emerging regarding the debriefing. According to Sports Nippon, in addition to Takasago Oyakata and the four sekitori mentioned above, three other unnamed rikishi were also questioned. Next week, four ozeki, Asashoryu and makushita Kyokutenzan, who allegedly acted as the intermediary, will be summoned for questioning.

The article in Shukan Gendai claimed that only four of yokozuna's bouts were "gachinko" (legit) and the other 11 were purchased for ¥800,000 each. If that is the case and since the gachinko rikishi have already been named elsewhere, the three unnamed rikishi are Roho, Ama and Tokitenku. Only four of the ozeki will be questioned because Hakuho was kyujo in Kyushu and did not face the yokozuna.

Whatever one may think of the whole kerfuffle, the notion that Asashoryu allegedly bought a win over Kotomitsuki ranks right up there with the most hilarious ideas of all time.

Much have been reported about the reactions of the YDC and the NSK regarding the allegations of yaocho during Kyushu Basho. We've read about the denials by oyakata and sekitori that have been called before the NSK panel headed by Tomozuna Oyakata. Now, let's listen to what the author of the article that raised the issue has to say. Shukan Gendai is one of the many weekly magazines in Japan that deal with sensational news, but the author of the yaocho article, Takeda Yorimasa, is a well-known and respected non-fiction writer, who has covered such controversial topics as the Waka-Taka Feud and Shigeo Nagashima and the plight of the Giants.

--You've caused quite a furor at the Sumo Kyokai.

TY: Looks that way. However, to be frank, their reaction has been absolutely willy-nilly. I suppose they have included a lawyer so it would appear objective, but that hardly constitues a proper hearing.

--You accused Asashoryu of yaocho.

TY: What I wrote in the article is the truth. I have the evidence. The real problem is the Kyokai that has covered up such things for a long time. I am going to elaborate on that in the next issue.

--We understand the Kyokai intends to file suit.

TY: I guess they are going to do that. Or rather, they have no choice but to do that. As for me, I just wish from the bottom of my heart that this would be the impetus for gachinko sumo to return next basho and give us all a yusho race we can get excited about.

Mr. Takeda will further pursue the allegation against Asashoryu in next week's Shukan Gendai. Furthermore, he is going to delve deeper into the involvement of the ozeki bunch.

Even it sounds very absurd and ridiculous, I think it's a very well thought psychological attack against Asashoryu from Japanese media (and Mr.Takeda).

Under such an attack it would be very difficult for Asashoryu to perform normally (be himself).

He may falter in next basho and the Japanese media will have their cases confirmed....just brilliant.

I would call it as "media henka" (or ketaguri). (Laughing...)

朝商流

this kanji usage for Asa has appeared on Japanese BBS (Laughing...)

(the middle character is exchanged for a character with the same reading but different meaning: " to make a deal")

Edit:

Actually, they have such shikonas for other rikishi too.

Edited by Petr

朝商流

this kanji usage for Asa has appeared on Japanese BBS (Laughing...)

(the middle character is exchanged for a character with the same reading but different meaning: " to make a deal")

Edit:

Actually, they have such shikonas for other rikishi too.

The last character also is changed, and this Shoryu is actually in the dictionary as "sales channel, (product) distribution channel".

TY: What I wrote in the article is the truth. I have the evidence. The real problem is the Kyokai that has covered up such things for a long time. I am going to elaborate on that in the next issue.

What is the evidence? Put up or shut up, I say. I don't believe this particular allegation because I don't think he needs to do it. So he better come with real evidence. Otherwise, sue him for every yen he has.