Sign in to follow this  
stunny

The new Ozeki - Kotooshu, Hakuho and who else?

Kisenosato

Tochiozan

I still have hopes for Ama, too.

Baruto, eventually

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Miyabiyama

Houmashou

Tochiouzan

Baruto (if he's still healthy)

Ichihara-undecided yet-haven't seen enough of him. See Kushimaumi..

I never believed in Kisenosato or Kotoshougiku, although I'm beginning to rethink the latter.. Rohou? Not in a million years. Mickey?If he goes 12-3 this time, I'm willing to start the countdown.

In any case, no one during 2007, for sure.

That works out to 4.01 expected new Ozeki just from those 8 guys...pretty optimistic, I'd say.

I take it you are not a gambler. (Sign of disapproval...) Doesn't work like that.

Well, you said "here are the odds as I see them", which to me means odds that you think reflect objective reality, not just odds that reflect public perception. I agree there's a huge difference. But book-making odds aren't terribly useful for a substantive discussion, wouldn't you agree?

At any rate, even for book-making odds I'd say you're aiming way high...I'd easily reject all bets except the one on Kisenosato, and it's not even particularly close on any of the others.

Edited by Asashosakari

In support of my belief that 1/5 odds (=83%) on Kisenosato making Ozeki within 3 years are probably a fair bet:Youngest at sanyaku debut

Shikona

Basho

Rec

HR

Ozeki

San->O

Takahanada 18y 10m

11-4

Y

1y 8m

Kitanoumi 19y 7m

4-11

Y

1y 2m

Hakuho 19y 9m

11-4

(O)

1y 4m

Wakachichibu 19y 11m

2-13

S

---

---

Kisenosato 19y 11m

8-7

(K)

?

?

Taiho 20y 0m

11-4

Y

0y 6m

Onishiki 20y 1m

3-12

K

---

---

Musashiyama 20y 5m

6-5

Y

1y 9m

Hoshi 20y 6m

9-6

Y

2y 8m

Takanohana 20y 6m

9-6

O

2y 2m

Asashoryu 20y 6m

8-7

Y

1y 4m

Fujinokawa 20y 7m

7-8

S

---

---

Edited by Asashosakari

if Baruto can make it..... he need to survive first...

Which of our candidates has even come close to meeting these requirement?

Why, Kotomitsuki of course. He had a 13-2 (yusho), 9-6, 12-3 run. Started from M2, but that's close enough.

Miyabiyama's 10-14-10 run just last year seems to be quickly forgotten, as well.

Of course Miyabiyama too, but he never was mentioned, and as the question was for "our candidates", I omitted him.

At this point of time I would like to pick Kotoshogiku for the most promising for this year. Few bashos ago I didn't even notice him, then he did two 10-5 bashos and he's 9 wins strike at the end of last basho was impressive and gino-sho honestly earned. He seems to be motivated and eager as Ama. I hope the at the end of this basho Sekiwake and Komusubi slots will be open and he can take one of these. Homasho and Kakuryu are the second chances to go, but possibly next year. Homasho is guy to like (Bow...) he looks so honest and dutiful I think it's easy to be his oyakata. Kakuryu game to center slots of Makuuchi with huge Banzuke-luck and I was sure he conna disappear to Juryo (Happy goodbyes...) with the same 'luck'. I was so wrong (Sign of approval...)

After second day I should have placed Baruto for sure with Kotoshogiku. He did very good start and has improved his tachi-ai. Now I'm not so sure anymore (Going kyujo...) and his attitude toward the injury is not very serious. If it's going to happen over and over again, then the best he can do is to hang in Makuuchi for a while, might be even getting temporary Sanyaku but not 11-12 wins in 3 consecutive bashos. He is able for it for sure, I believe he's sumo is improving basho by basho, but the knee. It seems he just doesn

Which of our candidates has even come close to meeting these requirement?

Why, Kotomitsuki of course. He had a 13-2 (yusho), 9-6, 12-3 run. Started from M2, but that's close enough.

Miyabiyama's 10-14-10 run just last year seems to be quickly forgotten, as well.

Of course Miyabiyama too, but he never was mentioned, and as the question was for "our candidates", I omitted him.

That's what I meant, sorry to be unclear. "Quickly forgotten" in that he was never mentioned in the early thread at all, to my surprise.

Would do I think could make ozeki in the next three years?

I think Hakuho will make Ozeki this year : He will lost his Ozeki rank this month and will win the next Haru Basho as a Sekiwake and the Natsu as an Ozeki, but will not be the next Yokozuna after the May basho because he wins only 1 Yusho as an Ozeki (Sign of approval...)

At this point of time I would like to pick Kotoshogiku for the most promising for this year. Few bashos ago I didn't even notice him, then he did two 10-5 bashos and he's 9 wins strike at the end of last basho was impressive and gino-sho honestly earned.

March last year I watched some intense Sadogatake Beya keiko between Shogi and Miki. Miki was comprehensively dispatching Shogi in a series of full effort bouts. I will again watch Sadogatake Keiko in March and will watch with interest the how much the gap has closed between those two.

Ichihara is a wildcard - I have seen him at the Amaworlds and was impressed and so far he has looked nothing but a champion in the few bouts in Ozumo.

He is like Ichiro Suzuki: the best player in Japan who went to the major league in the US and became arguably the best player there.

Ichihara is the Ichiro of Sumo - with the John Wayne Swagger.

Tochiozan has a "special" sticker on him, he could go far.

Gagamaru and Tochinoshin show lots of long term promise, they should at the least reach the same rank as their countryman Kokkai.

Edited by sekihiryu