Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

This year "Predator" turns 20. I am a huge film fan

Little-known actor Jean Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the predator, but quit (or was fired).

heh I love predator aswell, great movie and classic Arnie at his best, though the most macho in the film would be tie between Blain and Billy.

Its a good thing that Van Damme wasnt the predator: a predator of 170cm is not cool, the 210cm predator was perfect in the end and made the movie.

lots of trivia on this movie to be found:

Jesse Ventura was delighted to find out from the wardrobe department that his arms were 1" bigger than Arnold Schwarzenegger's. He suggested to Schwarzenegger that they measure arms, with the winner getting a bottle of champagne. Ventura lost because Schwarzenegger had told the wardrobe department to tell Ventura that his arms were bigger.

quote: "Billy. Billy! The other day, I was going down...." (I am not worthy...)

Edited by sekihiryu

I think a big reason is that it was one of the last films made before the initial CG era of The Abyss, Terminator 2, and Jurassic Park. Those films started the trend of heavy reliance on the wow factor of new effects to the detriment of story and characterisation.

Going OT from Predator (1987, btw), did you know that the first movie where nearly all of the special effects were CG was none of those? The movie holding that particular honor is one you may very well have never heard of, 1984's The Last Starfighter. If it wasn't a make-up or explosion effect, it was done on a Cray X-MP computer.

The CG isn't remotely up to the level of The Abyss (1989), T2 (1991), or Jurassic Park (1993), but then again, those movies all came several years later and weren't major parts CG either (at least not Abyss or T2).

TLS did ok at the box office on release, but these days it's probably best known (when it's thought of at all) as being actor Robert Preston's last movie. It's only about 100 minutes long, so tends to get edited quite a bit when it's on TV - if you're remotely interested at all, I suggest trying to find it in the video store.

Edited by Fukurou

The movie holding that particular honor is one you may very well have never heard of, 1984's The Last Starfighter. If it wasn't a make-up or explosion effect, it was done on a Cray X-MP computer.

Woah, waves of nostalgia - I watched that one when I was a kid, on TV. It was okayish... AFAIK.

And I remember Predator to have been fun - maybe I should see it again, to change my mind. (Sign of disapproval...)

Yeah, Predator is a MAN'S movie. One of my favs.

Cant figure out why you like Thin Red Line. It was one of the few films where I actually fell asleep at the theater. Long stretches of it looked like a National Geographic documentary. ZZZZ