Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Personal Rant..

Ok, it's not a rant. If you don't like mushy, emotional stuff, leave now!!

I have been a member of this forum for 5 years now. I am member number 4. I lead posters with number of posts and am sometimes a pain in the ass, a grumpy old man. I've seen the good times and the dark ages. I came and went.

But what we are witnessing this basho on the forum is simply incredible. The gusto with which our Japan based members are posting pictures and articles in the last week is so fantastic it's beyond words. Video from Maezumo? Couldn't be dreamed of even two years ago. Pictures of such high quality, not only of the dignitaries, but of the working class as well? Wow is all I can say.

Ilovesumo-thanks for the Maezumo and general video stuff. Fay, for the pics and Tomozuna blog, Nishi-for the videos and pictures and insight from a "real" dohyo, albeit amateur.. Sekihiryu for taking time to fulfill our lower ranking bout video wishlist(!!!!!). Does anyone else comprehend the coup here? Mark-for living sumo every second and maintaining the SFM. Kaikitsune for managing the circus. Kotoseiya for founding it. Doitsuyama for sharing the wealth of his database (both spreadsheet and what's in his head..) and the daily results of all bouts in sumo, and of course the whole banzuke in English. Madorosumaru for his fantastic translations, especially the epic "Gaijin Guide" which should be posted in every living room, and of course the extremely entertaining Tamanoi blog. Joe for the mythical "Rikishi talk" and translations. Hananotaka's all too far between translations and thoughts. Naganoyama for the lower division torikumi, leader board, and heya watch. I'm sure it takes a lot of time. Fukurou for the daily updates on withdrawals. Asojima-who quietly and skillfully took over the daily picture posting from the online papers. Zentoryu for all that is kensho. Asashosakari for the wise observations and quirky tables, especially the one with the eternal MK rikishi. And all of these in the LAST WEEK!!

I probably forgot others, but you get my drift. It's thank you time and I have taken the liberty of thanking you on behalf of the rest of the forumers.

It is indeed a joy to be a member these days.

Now, back to lurking mode..

Now, back to lurking mode..

Being modest and with a touch of grace, you undeniably left yourself out in all your gushing.

But we know better.

Ichinoya Mitsuru has got nothing on you, baby.

Ditto to all that Moti wrote. My own sumo-watching interest was a bit on the wane last year, but the last couple of basho that's all changed again, thanks to the tremendous amount of additional contributions (pics, videos, articles, etc. etc.) from everyone here, on top of the longtime mainstay stuff (which is probably under-appreciated in its own right).

(Whatever above, it is funny...) (Henka!!!) (Whistling...)

Hey, don't forget the silent Exil for indespensable Games deadlines and Basho tracker!!! Plus always seeming like 'the Man of the House,' and you know we need it as many of us come off as spoiled children at times!

And let's not forget our excellent mods, who in my experience have always been stern but extremely fair. And then you have that mysterious Rijicho guy . . . law of the land and all.

Edited by kaiguma

I can only agree with all that. Even though I'm nearly 100% just a lurker here (being in far off Germany), a heartfelt thanks from me as well for all the great stuff you are all offering us.

Hey, don't forget the silent Exil for indespensable Games deadlines and Basho tracker!!! Plus always seeming like 'the Man of the House,' and you know we need it as many of us come off as spoiled children at times!

And let's not forget our excellent mods, who in my experience have always been stern but extremely fair. And then you have that mysterious Rijicho guy . . . law of the land and all.

Indeed, the moderators are fantastic. But that is an axiom to me, so I didn't mention it..

I do it because I am low on Karma - yes thats it, I trying to rectify my Karma deficit - plus I am in it for the cattle, I like cattle and you owe my half a cattle - Verena is entitled to the other half (Please!?...)

You all ROCK!! (Spooky TV program...) :-P I'm proud to be a member of this Forum where there is such wealth of knowledge and sharing those things that make it special (i.e. pictures/videos/comments, etc) ! I say "Thank You ALL!l" too... You're the best!! (Hugging...) (Singing drunk...)

Here! Here! Complete agreement with all the above (Spooky TV program...)

I just wish I wasn't so busy this week, in order that I could have more time to dwell on all the extra stuff available. But the great thing about this forum, is that it will be all there to peruse at my leisure when I doi finally have the time.

To those who said (way, way back), that the forum was unnecessary due to the (still excellent) Sumo ML, I think they were wrong. :-P

I feel I ought to add my voice to this contributors appreciation thread as I have enjoyed mostly lurking and leeching information over the years.

I'm a bit envious of those who are in a position to hang around where all the action is and report on it but it's quite likely that even if I lived in the heart of Ryogoku, I wouldn't find the time to contribute as well as our under paid reporting staff do.

As Kintamayama pointed out, the lurking has never been better. This forum was always good but now all kinds of material is available that I would never have thought to ask for.

I wonder if there are any Japanese language forums like this with equivalent nourishment for the sumo otaku? Could it be that this community of international fans represents that broadest source of timely information on ozumo available online?

Edited by Itachi

As Kintamayama pointed out, the lurking has never been better.

As a lurker, I couldn't agree more. Thanks to everyone for putting all this great stuff here, even for lame people like me with nothing to contribute. (Spooky TV program...)

Back to actual lurking mode... :-P

The sentiments are similar to Kintamayama's. The versatility on forum is superb now. The videos and pictures offered by various members are highly appreciated. Not only that but we have experts and enthusiasts on every field of sumo. Living sumo encyclopedias, database gurus etc. So as a rijicho a big thank you is definitely appropriate. The list of the names that would deserve a big thank you is very long but for example Sekihiryu for lower division videos, ilovesumo for your amazing passion towards sumo and the way you bring it on forum, Kintamayama for being the cream of jijii, Nishinoshima for a number of extremely interesting heya/Kokugikan/rikishi interaction comments, Fay for the cavalcade, Doitsuyama for the too much taken for granted daily result posts, Jonosuke and Madorosumaru for the translation and living encyclopedia work, OY for personality and benign bubbles, all the regular posters for keeping the conversation and debate alive. Sumoforum is indeed an unmatched source of sumo information in English. Hope it will stay that way and keeps evolving. Life is life on sumoforum.