Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

lots of these are my favourites but soccer,volleyball,fencing,rugby,am. football, athletics, boxing and cycling get the vote ....

Sports I like to watch: Basketball, Boxing, Athletics, Judo, Kendo, fencing, Sailing. Snooker

Sports I like to do by myself: swimming, sailing, Badminton, weightlifting my computer mouse and riding (I miss this, although I fear you would say, it's sport for the horse not for me ... (I am not worthy...)) And I love horse racing, with or without bets.

One should take a snapshot of the poll's first hour results - quite obviously most Americans are still asleep. (I am not worthy...)

One should take a snapshot of the poll's first hour results - quite obviously most Americans are still asleep. :-O

Most Americans are at work :-)

Interesting that Formula 1 is the only motor sport on the list (I watch IRL, NASCAR, and "World Rally Championship" [don't know if that's what it's really called or just what 'merkin TV calls it] too)

(I am not worthy...)

Edited by Fukurou

"World Rally Championship"

That's the one.

I found out to my mild astonishment I had to vote blank. Nothing in sport except sumo interests me any more. I would have perhaps voted icehockey but I'm tired of the idiots (supporting the same team as I) who can't understand even the players of our team are capable of going to offside or committing deeds worthy of penalties. Anyone, even me, can enjoy feelings of intellectual superiority in an icehockey audience.

Watching: Sumo, WRC, boxing, MMA, Sometimes-other racing, curling, NFL, golf. Any sport is compelling to watch in the right circumstance.

Participating: Skiing, Mountain biking, Weightlifting, triathlon, golf. In that order. Like sailing, but don't get to do it much anymore

I'm missing rock climbing - but extensive selection, nonetheless !

(I miss this, although I fear you would say, it's sport for the horse not for me ... ;-)) And I love horse racing, with or without bets.

You and I both Fay - I also like pigeon racing.

Not sure if chess should be included as a sport. I like it but sport......? That would make an odd addition to the sports pages in a newspaper.

I found out to my mild astonishment I had to vote blank. Nothing in sport except sumo interests me any more

I thought you had gone off sumo aswell or was that just a phase?

I didn't think that billiards / pool / snooker would be second.

If You would run this poll on the German sumoforum, snooker would get well over 20% - most likely much more. (but don't ask me why - I have no clue)

You should add college football, because it is much better than the NFL. But other than that you have pretty much everything covered.

Well, this poll made me realize I care very little about team sports (except rugby). I only watch volleyball, basketball or waterpolo when our national team plays, and don't care overmuch even then. Soccer/football I can't stand usually, but only because it's the most aired sport around here. I usually watch World and European Championships, if only because there is no way to really avoid them. ;-)

But rugby is the only team sport I thoroughly enjoy. Perhaps because I see it so rarely. Perhaps because I like to watch big men. Who knows?

I like nordic skiing for unexplainable reasons. But I find myself watching it less and less, mostly because I have less and less free time to spend in front of TV. I guess I'm waiting for another Daehlie/Smirnov rivalry... just like sumo waiting for another Takanohana/Akebono era, heh. And I love biathlon, watching Bjoerndalen is magical.

I also love weight-lifting. All classes, both sexes. Not only watching the muscles move (ahhh) but enjoying the strategy behind the choice of lifts, head games and all that. The only sport except sumo, 4x10 km men's nordic relay and ski-flights at Planica I'd tape rather than miss.

I like to watch athletics, gymnastics and swimming when I get a chance, but I don't really care about them. The only exception, perhaps, is javelin. I adored Trine Hattestad (competed and I think won in her 4th or 5th month of pregnancy) and Jan Zelezny who aptly (his surname does mean Iron-man (Kimura Zatoichi...) ) retired this year after reaching 40.

And I like to watch snooker - it's relaxing.

I like to watch and play to rugby league ( and not rugby union!! ). I love this game!

Edited by Tony

I thought you had gone off sumo aswell or was that just a phase?

There are times even sumo sucks like there's no tomorrow. This has nothing to do with any one man, it's the result of seeing the whole sport losing its roots. No one wishes to hear me elaborate on that so I'll let it be.

Hey where was cricket! that was the main big omission.

No Aikido is that list either (Sign of disapproval...) I like doing Aikido

Soccer #1 surprise surprise, that is the one true mystery for me, why soccer is such a popular spectator sport, its fun to play; I play futsal weekly, but its usually so boring to watch compared with other sports.

I just dont understand.

jumpers for goalposts

Another The Fast Show fan, I assume. (Laughing...)

Football (Why would I call it soccer?) is a game sui generis. It's a tragedy in two acts, sometimes even a comedy. In the case of Finnish national team, it's sometimes a tragicomedy. (Own goal in overtime in '97 against Hungary who went on to continue World Cup 1998 preliminaries...)

I suppose you need to grow into it or alternatively develop a taste for it later in your life. One thing it isn't, is boring. (Neener, neener...)

I suppose you need to grow into it or alternatively develop a taste for it later in your life. One thing it isn't, is boring. (Alien stuff...)

I don't know about that. One thing that has probably always limited my enjoyment of football is that I'm simply lacking the fandom gene...while I certainly have my favourites in various sports, I can't think of a single athlete/team that I care as much about as I do about their respective sports themselves. I feel the same about musicians, actors and so on, and their respective crafts...I just don't "get" celebrity worship, except in terms of a desire for living vicariously through more successful people, but somehow that suggestion tends to offend people when I say it out loud. (Err, well.)

Anyway, to me football is one of the sports that just doesn't hold my interest without a personal stake in it, and consequently the only times I can be bothered to watch is during the Euro Championships and the World Cup. I wouldn't exactly say that football is boring, but it's just not interesting on its own. (As a side note: Following a determined two-year attempt to get interested in it, my feelings about American Football turned out to be exactly the same.) Other sports just don't engender the same kind of apathy in me...baseball, biathlon, curling, even sports I don't actively seek out to watch (such as volleyball or boxing, to name a couple wildly disparate ones), they're all capable of holding my attention without any kind of rooting interest for the participants.

Must be just me. :-)

I don't know about that. One thing that has probably always limited my enjoyment of football is that I'm simply lacking the fandom gene...while I certainly have my favourites in various sports, I can't think of a single athlete/team that I care as much about as I do about their respective sports themselves.

A fellow mutant. (Nodding yes...) I, however, do not care for most sports - football is a rare exception (as is sumo, obviously, along with a few others). I'm one of the late bloomers, as I've only followed the sport (on and off) for a decade. Any true football fan will be shocked to learn that I'm still without heya affiliation. ;-)

Nishinoshima brought up an interesting point about the game. On the surface it might look like nothing is happening, when actually there's a whole lot of things going on. It's probably not that easy to appreciate football if you're not able to "read" the game. There might be a slight learning curve, but it's well worth the effort. If you're not a fan of either team and can't read the game, there's not much to see, really. Just small boys in the park... ;-)

BTW, congrats to Sheff Utd. :-O

Nishinoshima brought up an interesting point about the game. On the surface it might look like nothing is happening, when actually there's a whole lot of things going on. It's probably not that easy to appreciate football if you're not able to "read" the game. There might be a slight learning curve, but it's well worth the effort.

That's a good point. Unfortunately, as far as that goes football really suffers in TV presentation. Obviously that's always a problem with large-area sports (as opposed to something like boxing where the whole area can always be fitted into the camera shot), but some sports are less affected by it, e.g. baseball because much of the action tends to take place in a well-defined area with the pitcher-batter matchups, or American Football because of its stop-and-go nature.

Now that you've brought this up, I recall that one of the TV channels here used to broadcast an ice hockey "game of the week" when I was young (must have been in the very early 1990s), and in hindsight I think my enjoyment of that sport probably suffered from the same "can't view everything that goes on" problem. Maybe I oughta attend a live game or two, to check into that theory...hmm.

Edited by Asashosakari

I have a major problem with sports such as Football because they get shown on every channel and take room that could be made for Sumo,I sure dont want to watch football or Tennis or Cricket 24 hrs a ruddy day . ;-)

Edited by Fujisan