Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

For Women Only Sumo Book

A popular sumo columnist with Ozumo magazine, Dosukoi Hanako, has written a just perfect book for newbie female sumo fans .

kawaiipz0.jpg

I am a big fan of Hanako-san's monthly column called "Ryogoku Patrol" on Ozumo magazine as she shows us a human side of rikishis and a fresh outlook and view of Ozumo we often take granted.

Now she has written a book for casual female sumo fans. It's not just a primer but up close and personal side of rikishis even most dedicated guys do not know simply because we never bother to ask or feel somewhat embarrassed asking such questions to another guy weighing 150 kg.

The book is called "Kawaii Ozumo" (literally "Cute Ozumo").

Hanako san asked them from their view on marriage to amount of drinks they can consume. She does exclusive interviews with six young stud rikishis including Hakuho, Kotooshu and Homasho. Of course she covers sumo basics but also some side topics like sumo diet.

The book is written in Japanese but not a difficult read as a typical Japanese sumo magazine or book and it has lots of great pictures including Baruto holding a kid of someone I know.

If you are thinking of getting a real Japanese sumo book while trying to learn some Japanese, I think this book will do very nicely. It's relatively easy to get as it's also sold on Amazon Japan.

Just please note that I have no financial interests from the book (the author, publisher or Amazon Japan), I am doing it here as I rarely find a Japanese sumo book I can recommend wholeheartedly to non-Japanase sumo community.

And here's

Amazon Japan page

Incidentally even though the book's sub title says "for women", the book is not really for women only but perhaps covering topics more geared to female sumo fans.

(I did receive a permission to post the cover of book here so there is no copyright problem.)

Edited by Jonosuke

Thank you for the info "Jonosuke-sama." Inspite of the gay looking title and cover, sounds like an interesting read. I am always very interesting in reading any kind of stories or information on people's live's (i.e. the who,what,when,where, and why of how they got to where they are now or they became the person they are now.) I will check it out I think. Also "Dosukoi" that is an interesting name, is she native Japanese? -

Edited by Ryukaze

(Laughing...) This looks interesting! Too bad I already told my mom what I want to have for X-mas (and too bad that I can't read Japanese ;-) )

Also "Dosukoi" that is an interesting name, is she native Japanese?

Actually Dosukoi Hanako is her pen name.

Dosukoi is a sumo term which sumo jinku songs cannot do without. The songs have a chorus that goes "Dosukoi! Dosukoi!" in every verse.

Just like a lot of other sumo words, no one precisely knows the origin of it or exact meaning, I guess it's just like the universe it's always existed in the background. And it goes equally well shaken or stirred.

Quite amazing things happen! I ordered from amazon.jp on 22th for economy shipment to Germany and it arrived....today! :-O (I am not worthy...)

Quite amazing things happen! I ordered from amazon.jp on 22th for economy shipment to Germany and it arrived....today! :-O ;-)

Remarkably, all post from Japan to me (several in the last year, always economy shipping) arrived exactly after four days. So, technically at least, you was one day late.

(Kimura Zatoichi...)

Remarkably, all post from Japan to me (several in the last year, always economy shipping) arrived exactly after four days. So, technically at least, you was one day late.

Shipment notification was 24th - one day early despite two holidays! ;-)

Thank you for the info "Jonosuke-sama." Inspite of the gay looking title and cover, sounds like an interesting read. I am always very interesting in reading any kind of stories or information on people's live's (i.e. the who,what,when,where, and why of how they got to where they are now or they became the person they are now.) I will check it out I think. Also "Dosukoi" that is an interesting name, is she native Japanese? -

That cover isn't gay...it is just very happy ;-)

Interesting read...we all know why you want to read it (Kimura Zatoichi...)

Just kidding it actually does sound like a good read.

Got it yesterday in the KK- with a signature of the author :-P , a nice lady

Glad that you were able to get a personalized copy.

Hope you said a big hello as she has checked this thread!

Edited by Jonosuke