Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

So there I was this morning reading James Hardys entertaining as always daily sumo report when I noticed a glaring error. "Kaio and Kotooshu's meeting was the first ozeki matchup this basho" "Aha" I thought to myself smugly "You'll be picked up on that on the forum for sure".

I continued in my self-satisfied manner but was soon shaken out of that state by the following direct quote from the rijicho "Because there are three ozeki, at least one of them should be challenging for the championship". I can only surmise from the above information that Tochiazuma is no longer an ozeki. When did this happen? Why wen't we told? Are grapes really that good? Why would someone engaged in medicine call healthy grapefruits "evil"?

(Bye, bye...) (In a state of confusion...) (In a state of confusion...) (In a state of confusion...) (In a state of confusion...)

I think that the rijcho simply meant 3 competing ozeki, since Hakuho is out.

Edited by sumofan

Damn, and all that time we were in the illusion that there were 5 Ozeki on the banzuke!!! I hope they don't demote the Yokozuna as well!! What a conspiracy

I hope they don't demote the Yokozuna as well!!
Technically speaking, the Yokozuna is an Ozeki.

So there I was this morning reading James Hardys entertaining as always daily sumo report when I noticed a glaring error. "Kaio and Kotooshu's meeting was the first ozeki matchup this basho" "Aha" I thought to myself smugly "You'll be picked up on that on the forum for sure".

I continued in my self-satisfied manner but was soon shaken out of that state by the following direct quote from the rijicho "Because there are three ozeki, at least one of them should be challenging for the championship". I can only surmise from the above information that Tochiazuma is no longer an ozeki. When did this happen? Why wen't we told? Are grapes really that good? Why would someone engaged in medicine call healthy grapefruits "evil"?

:-/ B-) (Laughing...) (In a state of confusion...) (In a state of confusion...)

I think that the rijcho simply meant 3 competing ozeki, since Hakuho is out.

So what can be the word for not competing but still participating Ozeki? Is he the walking around Ozeki (In a state of confusion...) And who from the four still coming up for the bout is that waltzing Ozeki?

I hope they don't demote the Yokozuna as well!!
Technically speaking, the Yokozuna is an Ozeki.

But technically speaking, they can't demote him either.

This is what happens when a quote is taken out of context. The Japanese version of the Yomiuri article describes the "nightmare of the three ozeki, who had been pursuing [the yokozuna] with one defeat, losing in three consecutive bouts. When Chiyotaikai lost to Miyabiyama, he fell off the dohyo and stepped on Tochiazuma's leg. It seemed like this set the tone of bad karma as Azuma followed by crumpling onto his knees from a "pull" by Dejima and re-injuring his already bad knee. Even everyone's hope, Kaio, sadly bit the dust despite the deafening roars of the hometown crowd."

"'What can ya do? Not much, I guess,' muttered Kitanoumi Rijicho. 'Two defeats are tough [to come back from]. It looks like the yusho is already in the yokozuna's hands. We really needed for one of the ozeki to remain [in the race] . . .' It has come to the [sad predicament] of having a hiramaku rikishi in his fourth makuuchi basho carry on [the battle]. At this still early stage, the mood that the battle is over has aready started to prevail."

The rijicho never said there were only three ozeki. He had just hoped that one of the three ozeki with one defeat until Day 10 could have remained in the yusho race.

Sometimes, a brain fart is just a brain fart.

Humbled DY writer thanks Peterao for cutting him some slack - yes, it was a brain fart, and I apologize for messing up. And for mistranslating the quote. Of course, Kitanoumi meant the ozeki in contention... doh.

I think I left my brain at home - in early editions, I also said Wakanosato was leading the juryo division (sorry Jumonji fans).

Promise to take brain to work today.

jumonji has fans? (Blinking...) (Holiday feeling...)

Maybe, not a fan, but the Demon is a "Jumonji watcher." (Eating...)

Here is the Demon commentating on radio (Jan. 2005):

Announcer: (Watching Buyuzan vs Jumonji) Jumonji won today rather uncharacteristically by moving forward.

Demon: Is that so rare? Ha, ha, ha.

A: He doesn

jumonji has fans? (Blinking...) (Eating...)

I wasn't sure, but seeing my record in the last 24 hours, i thought it was better to err on the side of caution (Holiday feeling...)

Even more than Wakakosho, believe me!