Sign in to follow this  
Afrozuna

Asashoryu will go undefeated this Basho

I say it will be another 15-0 basho for the Yokozuna :-S . I just don't see any Ozeki who is confident enough to beat him. Chiyotaikai's windmill won't stop Asa anymore as he has now adjusted to it, Asa has won their last 8 bouts. Tochiazuma has the potential but not on this occasion, Asa won the last bout at Nagoya. Asa can only beat himself here folks, it's going to take a silly mistake from the Yokozuna. Kotooshu is not having an tourny fit for an Ozeki so I won't consider him to be a threat at this basho. The one I almost fear for the Yokozuna is Baruto.

post-1421-1164065015_thumb.jpg

Edited by maegashira-yusho

Chiyotaikai's windmill won't stop Asa anymore as he has now adjusted to it, Asa has won their last 8 bouts.

Wow, you must be a really new fan. Chiyotaikai won their last encounter two months ago.

On a more general note...many thanks for your elaborate comments detailing why Asashoryu is the favourite in all his upcoming bouts. That kind of piercing insight is certainly something this forum has long been lacking.

Chiyotaikai's windmill won't stop Asa anymore as he has now adjusted to it, Asa has won their last 8 bouts.

Wow, you must be a really new fan. Chiyotaikai won their last encounter two months ago.

On a more general note...many thanks for your elaborate comments detailing why Asashoryu is the favourite in all his upcoming bouts. That kind of piercing insight is certainly something this forum has long been lacking.

Sorry for the oversight, I guess I got caught up in my excitement for the Yokozuna. I want Asa to break all basho records. He is only 26 years old you know. If he retires at 30, he has a chance to win (4 X 6) = 24 more tournament on top of the 18 he already has. Hence 24 + 18 = 42. Let us say he misses 6 due to injury or losses he will still have a record breaking 36. Remember this is all assuming he will retire at 30, he could possibly retire later given the way he is dominationg the field currently

well, mickey got an excellent position today but completely wasted it, and 2 seconds later was flying into the crowd, so so far, your prediction remains on tract.

He is only 26 years old you know. If he retires at 30, he has a chance to win (4 X 6) = 24 more tournament on top of the 18 he already has.

Good thing you told us. We would never have guessed...

And your shikona... so humble...

He is only 26 years old you know. If he retires at 30, he has a chance to win (4 X 6) = 24 more tournament on top of the 18 he already has.

;-) (Sign of approval)

Sorry for the oversight, I guess I got caught up in my excitement for the Yokozuna. I want Asa to break all basho records. He is only 26 years old you know. If he retires at 30, he has a chance to win (4 X 6) = 24 more tournament on top of the 18 he already has. Hence 24 + 18 = 42. Let us say he misses 6 due to injury or losses he will still have a record breaking 36. Remember this is all assuming he will retire at 30, he could possibly retire later given the way he is dominationg the field currently

A thread with calculations about how many yushos Asashory can win in his career can be found in this thread.

A thread with calculations about how many yushos Asashory can win in his career can be found in this thread.

Look that guy predicting 100 bashos for the ;-) is clearly out of his mind. As he ages ;-) will more and more injuries which is why I'm predicting a figure of around 36-39. This already required thet the :-D win twice as many bashos as he has won already. With age this is going to be a hard act to folow. But there is no doubt in my mind that (A yokozuna...) will break the record of 32. I hope Hakuho is working very hard whereever he is cause as much as I like Asa I don't want one boring basho after another just like the current one. The (A yokozuna...) is already 10-0 while his nearest chasers are 2 losses away. No one is crossing their fingers now (Sleeping...)

Edited by asashoryu

Well, if You read the 100 Yusho thread completely You would have read that the author admitted he was drunk when he wrote it.

I suppose this isn't the thread to...

Oh, wait...

This is EXACTLY the thread to remind some people that it's practically impossible to say what will happen with Asashoryu's future career.

At this stage in his career (last basho 26 years, 0 months), Kitanoumi was two yusho behind Asashoryu. Still extremely dominating he won his 16th yusho and surely had about the same said about him as Asashoryu has in this thread and others. And he stormed way past Taiho's old record... Oh, no he didn't. He ended up with 24.

Maybe Asashoryu gets 30. Maybe he gets 40. But he might stop at 20 as well. Some people should try to remind themselves of that from time to time.

Maybe Asashoryu gets 30. Maybe he gets 40. But he might stop at 20 as well. Some people should try to remind themselves of that from time to time.

Maybe he gets hit by a truck, maybe Mt Fiji falls on him, maybe the tachimochi will gore him with the sword during the dyoho-iri. I guess we will never know. While I do agree with the gist of what you are trying to say, I must emphasize that our predictions are based on level of dominance the Yokozuna hs currently on all the rikishi, he is far more consistent than the Ozekis and based on the current strength of the field 24 basho is too conservative an estimate.post-1421-1164124769.jpg

...maybe the tachimochi will gore him with the sword during the dyoho-iri. I guess we will never know.
That actually made me laugh heartily. Welcome to the show, Sir! (Laughing...)

At this stage in his career (last basho 26 years, 0 months), Kitanoumi was two yusho behind Asashoryu. Still extremely dominating he won his 16th yusho and surely had about the same said about him as Asashoryu has in this thread and others. And he stormed way past Taiho's old record... Oh, no he didn't. He ended up with 24.

And in the same vein, Takanohana was 26 years and 1 month old when he won his 20th yusho (finishing with 22 in the end); Asashoryu is the same age now and about to win his 19th.

Of course, Takanohana faced stiffer competition than Asashoryu does now, but one massive injury can level the playing field pretty quickly.

Guest Quentooshu

You really need more smiley faces on this kind of response!

...I must emphasize that our predictions are based on level of dominance the Yokozuna hs currently on all the rikishi, he is far more consistent than the Ozekis and based on the current strength of the field 24 basho is too conservative an estimate.

While I agree with you that he is dominant in this basho, and also in the recent ones he participated in (and I confess that it is a pleasure for me watching him), I think that the only estimation we can make is that he will most probably win that basho.

Forecasting future results is risky, not only because anything can happen to him and his form, but also because such estimation should consider the performance of other rikisi. I mean that, Asashoryu may not drop his form, but, for example, Hakuho manage also to elevate his sumo above the other enough, who knows, this may leads Asashory to start losing bashos, without actually dropping his form. And this is just something that is not dependant on him - not on him only, at least.

Edit: deleted the attached picture from the quote

Edited by Sashohikufuhen

Guest Quentooshu

I've been watching this board for several basho now and I've found some positive and negative things about it. The positive is that it's a fantastic resource for we sumo fans who do not speak or read Japanese and are looking for something more than "He won. He lost." and perhaps yet another yorikiri listed after his name.

Another positive is some of the research and depth of insights are impressive. The detailed list of sumo strength over the years that uses the ELO algorithms from chess is a great example of this.

However, what I find missing is much of the lower level conversation that occurs on other message boards. The types of conversations that come from encouraging people like the OP to state his opinions and show his excitement. Instead of jabbing back at him with the put down of "you must be a really new fan" as if he's not worthy to post here, I suggest coming back with something like "Well, Taikai did win their last meeting, so perhaps Asa hasn't figured him out completely yet!"

And instead of saying "Good thing you told us. We would never have guessed...", perhaps a response of "Yes, the dude is awesome!".

I'm not in the business of telling people how they should respond. That's each person's own lookout and we all face the consequences of our actions both positive and negative. But if we want to foster a message board where we encourage people to come join us, where we encourage communication, discussion, learning, and growth, then I suggest that we focus on responding in ways that encourage positive communication and reward people for doing so.

However, what I find missing is much of the lower level conversation that occurs on other message boards. The types of conversations that come from encouraging people like the OP to state his opinions and show his excitement.

Well, perhaps I'm a bit too jaded by now, but I generally don't feel like encouraging people to state opinions that have been previously stated approximately 762 times just on this forum alone - it's going to happen often enough even without any encouragement, obviously - especially if somebody decides to dedicate a whole new thread to it. Just like I (and a whole bunch of others) are groaning whenever another inevitable henka or steroids thread gets started. In addition, I'll freely admit that the chosen user handle was particularly grating this time.

Anyway, If you're looking for a greater quantity of "Asashoryu is soooo kewl !!!!11!!!" type of commentary, perhaps this forum is indeed lacking. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by "lower level conversation"...there's plenty of good old-fashioned fandom going on here, though perhaps not by the most prolific posters.

Instead of jabbing back at him with the put down of "you must be a really new fan" as if he's not worthy to post here ...

I don't abrogate anybody's right to post here, but I'm not going to molly-coddle newbie posters just because they're newbie posters. Especially if they post something entirely unoriginal and then manage to get part of the justification wrong. Anyway, I've written much harsher responses to people who have been prominent SML members for years before they joined here, so it's not like I have it in specifically for "unknown" posters. (Besides, I'm a smartass even toward long-time forum members.)

And instead of saying "Good thing you told us. We would never have guessed...", perhaps a response of "Yes, the dude is awesome!".

Ahh, the mark of all exciting forums, an abundance of "me too!" posts... More likely, a mandate to be nice at all times will simply lead to self-censorship in the vein of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". And I'm not quite sure that's going to lead to a more lively forum. (There have certainly been past members of the forum whose posts were quietly ignored by everybody else, because there just wasn't any kind of "nice" or constructive way to respond to them.)

I'm not in the business of telling people how they should respond. That's each person's own lookout and we all face the consequences of our actions both positive and negative. But if we want to foster a message board where we encourage people to come join us, where we encourage communication, discussion, learning, and growth, then I suggest that we focus on responding in ways that encourage positive communication and reward people for doing so.

Emphasis on *positive* communication. Your definition of that may differ from mine.

Anyway, judging from the subsequent posts, "asashoryu" is probably going to fit in here quite well, after all. (Laughing...)

Edited by Asashosakari

Guest Quentooshu

Okay! Enjoy your forum.

Edit: Quote of Asashosakari's post deleted.

Edited by Exil

Okay! Enjoy your forum.

We do. Immensely. (Laughing...)

Okay! Enjoy your forum.

lol, I personally don't mind about the type of response I get to my posts. I think differing opinions are what makes forums exciting. I would like to know each poster's favourite rikishi/yokozuna.

My favourite Yokozuna of all time is Chiyonofuji. Maybe the reason I like Asa so much is that I see a lot of Chiyo in him.

I remember how Chiyonofuji would give his opponent a cold stare after tossing them out of the dyoho. Sometimes he would also help them get up if the beating was too bad. Chiyonofuji was a men's man, it's really hard to descibe the amount of respect and awe I have for him as a rikishi so I will stop before I start sounding stupid and do him a disservice.

post-1421-1164140360.jpg

maybe the tachimochi will gore him with the sword during the dyoho-iri. I guess we will never know

Oh no, I'm quite certain that would be reported in the media if it were to happen (Dohyo-iri...)

(Laughing...)

Btw, my favorite yokozuna is Tochiazuma... Eh, will be Tochiazuma ;-)

(Yeah, yeah, I can be unrealistic too) :-P

Edited by Yubiquitoyama