Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

KaioU preparations for Kyushu 2006

Ozeki KaioU who is a record kadoban for the 10th time, has started butsugari training this morning. "Well, I only lent my chest a bit..", he said. Last basho, his chronic lumbago forced him out of the tourney on day 7. He is still favoring his lower back and being very careful. He sits on his zabuton while traveling from one venue to another on the current long jungyo. "My body stiffens up.." he explained. Today, after his torikumi, he was getting a massage. He is looking forward to his 19th "home" basho.

I like the old boy as much as anybody but the writing is on the wall and it says "get out Get Out GET OUT!!!" I'm assuming (praying) that this will be his last run. But then again that's the way I felt coming into last years Kyushu. He is fighting waaayyyyy below the level of an ozeki. His win/loss records have been bested by at least 10 or 15 fighters in every bosho in the past two years. I hope that his pride will make him step out instead of hanging around and watching his excellent reputation spiral any further. Think of the last few years of Elvis ...

Sometimes the truth hurts ... I brought myself down with this post ...

Well said brother, I couldn't agree with you more. He's at the point where he's simply battling it out to squeeze every last yen out of that Ozeki salary that he can before being forced to retire, (which will happen this basho im afraid.) He's waited too long to go out on his own terms and is now gonna pay the price by being demoted via make-koshi, (and with no hope of kado-ban to bail him out anymore he will retire.) "R.I.P" Kaio-kun (Laughing...)

Edited by Ryukaze

KaioU had 31 training matches against younger rikishi. No full keiko yet. His lumbago pains are still there. "My lower back still hurts, but it's my home town, and I guess I better start *full keiko soon I guess..", he offered.

*= against real opponents, namely sekitori..

Boy with all the resources he should have at his disposal as an "Ozeki" rikishi as well as all the time off he's been taking, his back sure must be jacked up! Bummer......

As a display of how feeble Kaio is, I looked at his cost in Salarycap Sumo. He's only worth 120, 17th worst in Makuuchi. An alternating 8-7/7-8 record over 1 year would have the same worth.

That said, I still like the old lug, and I hope he gets KK this basho.

KaioU went to Kokonoe beya's lodgings for degeiko today. He had 15 bouts with Chiyotaikai going 8-7. When he was on the defensive, his lower back couldn't stand the pressure. But when he got his favorite hidariyotsu hold, he showed some powerful yorikiris. "I think I'm moving OK, but I've still got a long way to go", he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

KaioU went for degeiko for the 6th straight day today. Today he went to Kokonoe beya, where he had bouts with Tochiazuma and Chiyotaikai and others, 19 in all, and was seen overwhelming Chiyotaikai and generally seems to be in good shape. "So far so good, huh? I still have pains in my lower back, but they're not that bad, so it's OK!", he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

Chiyotaikai on KaioU: "He's getting better every day. His footwork is good".

Tochiazuma on KaioU: "He's now able to hit well".

KaioU on KaioU: " Mada mada!! (his favorite-'I've still got a long way to go'..). When I get pushed, I'm unable to hold my ground. When I get sidestepped, I push out my hands..", he explained, admitting his lower body still needs work.

KaioU and teppole:

MM20061106224458131L0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Conversation overheard at Kokonoe beya degeiko between KaioU and Tochiazuma:

Tochi: "The first three days are critical, right?"

KaioU : "Indeed they are. Even though I'm doing well right now, what's important is how it will show in the basho itself.. I don't want to overdo it and break my body."

KaioU has finished with degeiko and will train at his own heya till the start of the basho.

Kaiou takes on Chiyotaikai under the watchful eyes of ex-Yokozuna Kitanofuji:

o-sp-061108-0301-ns.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

KaioU has a new mawashi. Remember how we used to chide him for the old and wet and probably aromatic one? Well, he has a new and dry one, at least for the moment. "The color is more or less the same, but the old one became really boro boro..", he explained.

He has a relatively easy day 1-Iwakiyama to whom he's never lost . But day 2 is Blackbeard who has a 7-3 edge on him. "The first days are important. If I'm in good shape, no opponent is difficult", he philosophized.

20061111_190592-1.jpg