Sign in to follow this  
Hidariashiyama

Oyakata

I was just reading the requirements to become an oyakata and I'm wondering if you think Asashoryu will become one?

He isn't a Japanese citizen, but will he become a naturalized citizen?

Do you think he would even WANT to become an oyakata or would he want to slip into obscurity in his elder years? I doubt he will ever be able to do that though.

I was just reading the requirements to become an oyakata and I'm wondering if you think Asashoryu will become one?

He isn't a Japanese citizen, but will he become a naturalized citizen?

Do you think he would even WANT to become an oyakata or would he want to slip into obscurity in his elder years? I doubt he will ever be able to do that though.

From what I've read, Asashoryu has no desire to become an Oyakata, which is why he hasn't taken Japanese citizenship.

He probably wants to be the best Yokozuna ever then retire to Mongolia and be rich and revered by any and all.

I think there are some previous threads discussing this. Try our search function to find the answer to your question.

Sorry for not searching first. It was one of those questions that popped in my brain while reading the oyakata website last night.

From what I've read, Asashoryu has no desire to become an Oyakata, which is why he hasn't taken Japanese citizenship.

He probably wants to be the best Yokozuna ever then retire to Mongolia and be rich and revered by any and all.

I think there are some previous threads discussing this. Try our search function to find the answer to your question.

Sounds like a smart choice to me. A loss for sumo, but if I was Asashoryu, I think that I would be thinking the same thing. It is his home, and also his riches would be much higher in Mongolia. Its hard to be a gaijin in Japan, frankly.

I do not say that because I don't like it here or because I resent the Japanese.

Its just hard to be different in this society. I am fluent in Japanese, but not like a native speaker. I am a permanant resident, Japanese wife, house and mortgage and (half) kids (who can't speak English), but I increasingly feel psychologically alienated. I suppose its my own fault for choosing this life, but I have too many commitments to do anything about it now. Even my own children actually have called me a gaijin.

:'-(

. Even my own children actually have called me a gaijin.

:'-(

(Bye, bye...)

They themselves will be called Gaijin if they show any foriegner facial features. Maybe they are really young. Once they get called it (like it's a bad word) they will regret calling you it. Maybe you should teach your children that being a Gaijin isn't a bad thing.

Just a thought. I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your children. I often wish I could get married in Japan and have some kids. On the other hand, most of the gaijins I meet in Japan, married to Japanese women, just look really stressed out and not like they are enjoying their lives.

Edited by Shibouyama

FWIW ..... i think Asashoryu would make a terrific Oyakata if he could transfuse a portion of his ambition to his deshi.

I can imagine him with a bamboo stick in hand and all i want to do now is matawari to avoid the beating ... (Bye, bye...)

The fact that he is helping/encouraging young people to join sumo tells a different story from what is said in the above posts. I think he is setting the ground for an Oyakata future.

anyway .. this is really premature since he has at least 7 more years of active career.